So, uhh, I'm teaching myself ASL...

rain

Reaction score
You can read my intro thread here

The site I'm using as of now is this one by Dr. Bill Vicars and so far I'm having a ton of fun learning.

Like I mentioned in my intro, I'm not an ASL student so it's not like I'm learning it because I have to, but rather because I want to.

Rain- good site and good start. :) Keep that up. If I may ask, where are you from?

That's neat! I visited Canada few years ago and enjoyed myself very much. How is your ASL learning coming along?

Do you mind saying what province you're in Rain ?

I'm a fellow Canuck

Ontario :D

That's neat! I visited Canada few years ago and enjoyed myself very much. How is your ASL learning coming along?

Well so far I'm on Lesson 3 (I basically started 2 days ago) and I'm slowly but surely getting use to it. What I've realized is I'm not really having trouble remembering the signs, just how to phrase them. For instance, the way to say "How many children do you have?" is by signing "CHILDREN, HOW-MANY YOU?" which is hard for me because it's like working backwards. In some cases, that isn't the case, like "Do you like learning sign?" is signed as "YOU LIKE LEARN SIGN?"

I think this will be a good intro course to me and then I will volunteer somewhere where I could both help the community and practice my ASL.

Oh just to add, another thing I just realized I'm having trouble with is when I watch an example video, like a story, even though I'd recognize all the signs (done individually) I get COMPLETELY lost when watching Bill sign a story, like in this video

Practice makes perfect though, and my speed (both signing and recognizing) will increase

I've been learning on my own for about a year now. Though my sign vocabulary is quite large I still sign in english word order. The grammar part is always difficult for me and I hope I will be able to master it someday.

I've gone thru his 'baby signs' and LOVE it... he's pretty easy to learn from (in my opinion!!) thanks for the link!!

Oh just to add, another thing I just realized I'm having trouble with is when I watch an example video, like a story, even though I'd recognize all the signs (done individually) I get COMPLETELY lost when watching Bill sign a story, like in this video

Practice makes perfect though, and my speed (both signing and recognizing) will increase

This is a good video and that make sense of what he is signing in ASL. If you are learning conversation signs which ASL is a little bit backward but still it is easy to read what he signs. It is a good practice to learn how to sign with expressions which help a lot to understand. Yes, practice make perfect as you go along casually. Don't try to force yourself to sign too fast like you mention speed. Just have fun and relax and you will be just fine. So have fun learning. :cool2:

LOL I got most of the story....but I have gone over & over the first name he fingerspells. I still can't grasp it. he's just too fast for me.

LOL I got most of the story....but I have gone over & over the first name he fingerspells. I still can't grasp it. he's just too fast for me.

Are you talking about the community name ?
it's RIVERDALE (followed by the community/town's name sign)

The name of the "good teacher" is SMITH

The signing is clear - but it's also clearly meant as a "Teaching story" (the way the signs are connected, spaced and facial expression) ... not that it's a "bad thing" it's just noticeable to a ASLer.

OMGs! That was what I thought. I should have trusted myself. LOL

The signing is clear - but it's also clearly meant as a "Teaching story" (the way the signs are connected, spaced and facial expression) ... not that it's a "bad thing" it's just noticeable to a ASLer.

I noticed that there was a short pauses between each sentence.

The signer's name is JOHN SMITH, but when he mentioned about the school that he like and he was explaining about his good teacher named SMITH.

Also when I noticed the sign after the RIVERDALE, I thought it was RIVERSIDE. We have sign like R that shape like seven. So I guess you have to be careful when reading the spelling for community or town name. Yes, it get hard to read spelling and then sign the name. :cool2:

Back