So, this morning, I went to see --

JMH

Reaction score
img0052resized.jpg

All I can say: wow.

The pictures I have seen of the move of Endeavour across town on the ground reminded me of when they moved a steam engine across town here from the railroad tracks to a park for display. That was in the very early 1960's and they have enough of an endowment etc. that it is being very well taken care of. Now we are getting a caboose to go with it.

The glass display on the bottom of picture - showed what they planned to do with the shuttle in next few months or years. They planned to hook the Endeavour to the boosters inside the building. The building that they're storing Endeavour is temporary till they get everything ready to hook it to booster and place in new building.

Absolutely awesome. My husband is a space junkie and I want to take him and my boys to see one of the shuttles.

More pictures:

img0050resized.jpg

img0048resized.jpg

img0055resized.jpg

Absolutely awesome. My husband is a space junkie and I want to take him and my boys to see one of the shuttles.

I believe your husband would LOVE to see it in person. The first thing out of my mouth when I entered the temporary building was "wow!" I have been following space shuttle ever since they first launched in early 1980's. I believe the closest you can see space shuttle is at New York where they will have Enterprise stored in a museum - through it never went to space, but similar what I have seen last Saturday.

That trumps this. Do they plan on allowing people inside?

I don't think they will ever allow anyone go inside shuttle. I found the picture through Google image search of the model that they planned to build a permanent home for Endeavour in Los Angeles:

l.jpg

The link you showed - this looks interesting! They got original Liberty Bell 7 there. That's wow factor!

Wirelessly posted

That's Awesome! I didn't go , too crowded haha

What a great experience for you!

:thumb:

thanks for sharing!

I would love to visit one of the Orbiters, over 30 years in service is pretty good for anything!
But I'm glad they ended up in Museums where people and visit and learn - not like the Soviet Orbiter Buran, what a sad end that was :(

I don't know why I always thought they were bigger when I saw one at Dulles. I always forget they can transport them on the back of a 747...

750px-STS-32_Return_to_KSC_-_GPN-2000-000677.jpg

Yeah, it weighing some 292K pounds, makes ya wonder about that 747......

My wife was just there with the kids at the deaf school and they all were in awe....

Back