Small Business Bureau and a roof contractor

webexplorer

Reaction score
Small Business Bureau is dishonest to many customers nowadays. That is the most unfortunate for all of us.

A few days ago, I had a case at a small claim court, and I lost it. It was about a roof contractor who does not a good job on my roof because there are still some leaks in my porch and around the chimney area. I have all the evidences at the court (photographs, documents, and one backup a different roof contractor's statement).

It is very sad that the roof contractor and his lawyer lied awhile they were on oath. He used to say his technical words that people didn't know what it means so the magistrate believed that the contractor knows a lot about it. It was all bull shit. How am I supposed to know how to fix the leak? I am a customer and paid him a lot for money to install new asphalt shingles on my roof.

His lawyer is very fat. I bet that he fills with his lies at the courts that make him fat. I hope that he will have a heart attack so that there would be no more lies. I never lie or never want to go after all of roof contractor's money. All I just want some money to fix the leak. That's period.

I really really really cannot believe that the BBB accepts all money from bad contractors to make them look good for their reports on the BBB's website.
Now, I have to figure it how to get some money to fix my roof.

Again, please promise yourself that you cannot trust the BBB website anymore.

I dont know the what really happened with your case, but have you called another roofer to inspect roof and find thee leaks. Did you have it in writing that you had a previous leak and want shingles replaced to fix leak? Did you pay him in full ? do you still have the last 10 percent of total job money and did he file a lien yet? did the roofer go back to your home and point out where the leak is and his suggestions to repair it?

Having another roofer look and inspect and suggest solutions is your best best in court.
BBB is only there to show "communication between contractor and client". you use BBB to make an complaint. did you leave negative comments yet?

I do small contracting work on the side for extra cash- so I know how important it is to make customer happy and not to have a money pit issue.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I wonder, though, when you signed the contract, did you read it? Did you pay the bill beforehand? Did you make sure leaks are covered once the job was completed? I am a subcontractor and really feel for you, but there are unanswered questions.

Having worked for the BBB and being in charge of generating the reports for 5 years, I can tell you, that they do not just accept money for the "good" reports. There are strict guidelines that must be met. The reports all have a disclaimer that used to say and I think it still does that goes, "The Better Business Bureau does not endorse, recommend or disapprove of ANY product, service or company." The company files are basically kept for 3 years. If the BBB receives a complaint about any company, the complaint is then forwarded to the company. They have a certain number of days to respond. If they don't, then another letter goes to them with the warning that they must respond or it will be reported. If they are a member company who has pre-committed to arbitration, then the customer has the right to request for arbitration with a voluntary arbitrator who is not connect to the BBB, company or client. If the resolution is not to the customer satisfaction, then that could become part of the report. They do not report on each and every complaint. If a client takes the complaint to small claims court, the BBB cannot report that. They do report if the Attorney General or if the Securities and Exchange Commission has a ruling.

If you are not happy with how the local BBB handled your complaint, it is suggested that you contact the Council of Better Business Bureaus. I do know of one BBB location that was essentially shut down by both the CBBB and the Florida Attorney General's office. That was a number of years ago, and still, that Florida county is not allowed to have another BBB. The areas that is services was split between 3 other locations. The CEO and I believe other office personnel were sent to jail or had hefty fines to pay.

Did the roof contractor get a building permit BEFORE he started the job? In my state if you have the your contractor get the building permit and the job turn out to be no good you can get $500 from the state to help with the cost of getting the work corrected. If the home owner get the building permit they will NOT any money from the state. When I had a new siding door in put the company wanted me to get building permit and I told them they had to get it!! The woman from city hall told me to made sure I have the company get the building permit in case the job is no good I will get $500 from the state! I am sorry you lost your case. I would report the roof contractor to BBB and other place so other people will not get screwed over too!

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I wonder, though, when you signed the contract, did you read it? Did you pay the bill beforehand? Did you make sure leaks are covered once the job was completed? I am a subcontractor and really feel for you, but there are unanswered questions.

I agree with everything said here. Sorry webexplorer- I hope you dont feel ganged up on. perhaps you could fill in the rest of the story here?

I need a break for a few days. I had so much snow on my roof today. My roof is almost clean, and it was very cold today.

The contractor lied that he had a permit from the city hall at that time. I talked my Mom, and she doesn't want to talk about it. It is a lot of things going on with her. We looked up BBB carefully before we hired the contractor to work on my roof.

She said that most town halls do not know anything about the roof permit work so they get the paper work to be filed in the town hall system. I don't agree with her at all because it was her opinion. Nothing that I can do about it right now because my case is closed as dead. I wish that I could get re-case, but I think that it sounds impossible.

My roof started leaking during heavy rains in three weeks later in the summer. If it was light rain, it does not leak. Now, it is snow and icy on the roof, and it is leaking. It took a long time for me to receive my mail for the court date like three months.

My sister thinks that the judge and the lawyer play at golf together and they became friends. It's because I recalled that because my friend owns a small company and he goes out with his lawyer to play golf once a while. They became very good friend. It was unbelievable.

I paid my contractor first in half pay, and then pay 2nd half payment to complete the job. I never thought about the contract agreement for a roof leak related to his work because I was thinking of to accept my responsible for the payments in the agreement.

The shingles look a good condition except his work was a sloppy job. It was no way for me to know that his job was a sloppy job until I found out from three different roof contractor companies about the roof leak, and they told me other things went wrong. I also asked them to write down the statement, and they said that they will mail it to me. They never did because I suspected that they were afraid that my contractor would threat them. I finally convinced the last contractor. I am worried that the nasty contractor would hurt the last contractor because I handled it to the court for the evidence. I guess that my evidences were not good enough like before and after the roof repairs.

I don't remember if my Mom ever reported BBB on the internet. She is not a good mood today. I wish that I could write to some city halls to reject my roof contractor's request for the permit for someone's house in the future. I don't know what else to give my contractor a hard time like no access or something.

If my shingles are defective, then it is not a roof contractor's fault so I could get the money for the warranty. For the leak situation is a very different issue. I feel like that I want to revenge him something. Oh boy.

I need a break for a few days. I had so much snow on my roof today. My roof is almost clean, and it was very cold today.

The contractor lied that he had a permit from the city hall at that time. I talked my Mom, and she doesn't want to talk about it. It is a lot of things going on with her. We looked up BBB carefully before we hired the contractor to work on my roof.

She said that most town halls do not know anything about the roof permit work so they get the paper work to be filed in the town hall system. I don't agree with her at all because it was her opinion. Nothing that I can do about it right now because my case is closed as dead. I wish that I could get re-case, but I think that it sounds impossible.

My roof started leaking during heavy rains in three weeks later in the summer. If it was light rain, it does not leak. Now, it is snow and icy on the roof, and it is leaking. It took a long time for me to receive my mail for the court date like three months.

My sister thinks that the judge and the lawyer play at golf together and they became friends. It's because I recalled that because my friend owns a small company and he goes out with his lawyer to play golf once a while. They became very good friend. It was unbelievable.

I paid my contractor first in half pay, and then pay 2nd half payment to complete the job. I never thought about the contract agreement for a roof leak related to his work because I was thinking of to accept my responsible for the payments in the agreement.

The shingles look a good condition except his work was a sloppy job. It was no way for me to know that his job was a sloppy job until I found out from three different roof contractor companies about the roof leak, and they told me other things went wrong. I also asked them to write down the statement, and they said that they will mail it to me. They never did because I suspected that they were afraid that my contractor would threat them. I finally convinced the last contractor. I am worried that the nasty contractor would hurt the last contractor because I handled it to the court for the evidence. I guess that my evidences were not good enough like before and after the roof repairs.

I don't remember if my Mom ever reported BBB on the internet. She is not a good mood today. I wish that I could write to some city halls to reject my roof contractor's request for the permit for someone's house in the future. I don't know what else to give my contractor a hard time like no access or something.

If my shingles are defective, then it is not a roof contractor's fault so I could get the money for the warranty. For the leak situation is a very different issue. I feel like that I want to revenge him something. Oh boy.

IMHO, shingles rarely become defective. its the way its installed or protection not added. you mentioned other roofers came in and looked after the roof was replaced? they pointed out what was wrong ? did you get the rework done yet ? sounds like your mom may have been taken. your only recourse at this time is to get it fixed regardless of cost to prevent bigger problems down the road.

Do you mean you paid for all the work before it was completed?

Oh no.. Sorry about your trouble with roof contractor! :(

Back