SLP easier to find than ASL class

letfingerstalk

Reaction score
Why is it easier to find speech therapy than it is to find ASL classes? Our family uses both speech and CASE but I can not get equal support for both.

It is easier because more people see speech useful and asl a way to 'hid', that is why if a child is born deaf the doctor will suggest a cochlear and speech therapy and tell the parents teaching them asl would be bad for their future. When my children's doctor learned I was teaching them asl she jumped down my throat about how bad it would be for their speech development

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Except for college lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I would think there would also be more things than deafness that a SLP would deal with and thus more chance to work as that. Thus, also more people going into that field.

hearing people DO have a hard time learning ASL which is why. like Reba mentioned that follow the $$ because hearing people can speak therefore they make Deaf kids to learn how to speak for them!

I would think there would also be more things than deafness that a SLP would deal with and thus more chance to work as that. Thus, also more people going into that field.

This is true, some hearing kids and audtistic kids and foster kids that didn't go to school at a younger age need speech therapy.

This is true, some hearing kids and audtistic kids and foster kids that didn't go to school at a younger age need speech therapy.

Actually that's right. It's fairly rare to encounter a SLP who is very experianced with dhh kids. Most of the time, they're more experianced with other disorders.

Back