Ski-Slope Hearing Loss?

C-NICE

Reaction score
I have what is called a ski-slope audiogram. Could someone give me a better idea what that means? P.S. losing high & low frequencies fast.

it means that your audiogram looks similar to a ski-slope (meaning that you're able to hear low frequencies better than middle and high frequencies). for example, your loss could start at 50 dB at the low frequencies, then drop to 70 dB at the middle frequencies and then drop even further to 90 or 100+ dB in the high frequencies. ski-slope losses are very common when it comes to sensorineural hearing loss.

Current Numbers

Left ear starts at 250 hertz 40 decibels & ends at 8000 hertz 85 decibels.
Right ear starts at 250 hertz 35 decibels & ends at 4000 hertz 115 decibels.

The Thing is

The thing is I am only 35 years old and and have been losing hearing at both ends of the spectrum since the age of 12 and at each hearing exam little more on both ends is gone. Going to see ENT again next year, but just seems like as slow slide into the abyss. None of the doctors I have been to have clue what is happening or why.

The thing is I am only 35 years old and and have been losing hearing at both ends of the spectrum since the age of 12 and at each hearing exam little more on both ends is gone. Going to see ENT again next year, but just seems like as slow slide into the abyss. None of the doctors I have been to have clue what is happening or why.

i know what you mean. i've been losing my hearing since age 3 (although my former hearing aid audis think it may have been congenital due to the fact that newborns weren't given hearing screenings back in the late 60s/early 70s). i started wearing hearing aids at age 15 even though they were recommended for me at age 3 in addition to ear surgery. (unfortunately, insurance wouldn't cover the cost for either for reasons i do not k now.) from age 15 on, my loss continued to decline from moderately-severe to severe-profound (left ear profound, right ear severe-profound) over the span of 9 years. i was born with progressive hearing loss, so that explains the reason why i lost so much hearing over the years. as for hearing loss, it's common for people to gradually lose hearing every time they have a hearing test performed. the trick is to keep on top of it so any problems that crop up can be addressed immediately and the most effective treatment (i.e. hearing aids and/or surgery) can be applied.

Despencer's Retirment

I am probably funding my despencer's retirement fund. Just upgraded to an Oticon sumo analog in the left ear. Went with analog because digital to expensive for me right now but was lucky in that somehow my despencer found one that was 5 years old but had never been out the box. Works fair to midland for right now & moved my old Starkey sequel to my right ear to replace the full shell ITE that was just barely making it. Also working out fair to midland for right now.

I am probably funding my despencer's retirement fund. Just upgraded to an Oticon sumo analog in the left ear. Went with analog because digital to expensive for me right now but was lucky in that somehow my despencer found one that was 5 years old but had never been out the box. Works fair to midland for right now & moved my old Starkey sequel to my right ear to replace the full shell ITE that was just barely making it. Also working out fair to midland for right now.

Did you ever go to a professional audiologist? The way you sound is as if you went to run-of-the-mill dispensers (Beltone, HearRX, etc). They usually only have knowledge of how to make molds, how to read audiograms, etc. They do not have the medical knowledge (Not extensive, but enough). They usually do a lot more different tests than just listening to beeps like at dispensers.

The reason why I'm asking is because you may be able to find out what's causing your hearing loss. Otherwise, you can go to ENT doctor to find out. Maybe you have some sort of wax build up, problems with your inner ear, etc.

And maybe if you want, consider of getting CI later. I had a lot of loss within a couple years, hence why I got CI...in fact, I loved it so much that I had to have two. :)

lady,

it sounds to me like c-nice is seeing a hearing aid dispenser. if i were him/her, i'd see a "regular" audi and ent instead -- especially with their hearing continuing to decrease like it is.

lady,

it sounds to me like c-nice is seeing a hearing aid dispenser. if i were him/her, i'd see a "regular" audi and ent instead -- especially with their hearing continuing to decrease like it is.

I would have to agree. Sometimes there is a reason that can be helped, if caught in time. Especially an ENT, so they can run tests and rule things out, or find the cause.

Cleveland Clinic

I found out about my hearing loss at age 22 when I tried to join the army & failed the physical. I confirmed the military's test results with an audi(at the time at kiaser, still on my parents coverage then). I found my dispencer who got me my first hearing aid(a starkey ite I still have to this day as spare). He has been taking care of me sine then with hearing tests & upgrades. I am also a type 1 diabetic for the last five years, so on my last visit to The Cleveland Clinic for that I made an appt to se an audi there(that is where I got my current results and its was when it was recommened I see an ENT). The reason I had primarily been going to my despencer for my hearing tests until the present was that I had no health insurance for a while and had gotten caught up with other things, college, career, marriage & diabetes etc.

c-nice,

if you don't have insurance coverage and are low income, perhaps you could apply for medicaid?

i've had medicaid and medicare coverage since i was 18 and (not to brag) have seen some of the best audis in my area.

Orlando Baking

I am currently with Orlando Baking's Customer Service Department so I currently have coverage, that is how I got tested recently at The Cleveland Clinic. I was just without coverage during college and after my last hearing test with my despencer had shown a further lost I decided it was time to see an audi to really get a second opinion and better idea where things were at. She confirmed his test results and suggested I see and ENT there(making an appt. for early next year first time I can get away from work). She hinted a CI may be in my future down the line.

Right ear starts at 55 dB at 250 herts and ends at 95 dB at 8000 hertz. Left ear starts at 55 dB at 250 herts and ends at 105 dB at 8000 hertz.:roll:

Back