Single Deaf Father Raising Hearing Daughter

crazy

Reaction score
Heya everyone.... I'm curious.... how many of you are single and raising hearing child(ren)?

you must be great dad doing it on your own...from what i seen children of deaf parents are really quite advanced maybe not in academics altough lots are.
being single parent hard enough...so good luck sure you do well

I was a single mother of a hearing son. I taught him to sign when he was a toddler. He had problem with his speech because he mimic my speech which I have a deaf accent and mispronounced words. He does not like to sign in public and preferred to sign at home. People stared at him because we were signing. I thought it would have been easy to raise one child but I was wrong. It was difficult to raise a child who has or had behavior problems. So it does not matter whether you raise one or more children in the family. Every child is unique in their own personality. Now he is all grown up and is 36 years old. When I visited him and his family, he signed with me in public and not feel embarrass in public. I was surprised. He also refused to go into interpreters training to become interpreter so that he can earn money but he rather choose another job or career that he like to work with. He is married and have five children of his own. That make me the grandmother of hearing grandchildren. :)

Did u feel leftout?? I feel like my parrent didn't meet up with me nd my dad left mee.. You know what funny my mom didn't learn sighn or nothing she think I'm broken / handycape that she ask me did I hear what anybody ask me or whatever I take my heairing aid out and want more info about me I'm hoh and feel like I'm living 2 life..

Did u feel leftout?? I feel like my parrent didn't meet up with me nd my dad left mee.. You know what funny my mom didn't learn sighn or nothing she think I'm broken / handycape that she ask me did I hear what anybody ask me or whatever I take my heairing aid out and want more info about me I'm hoh and feel like I'm living 2 life..

Im sorry to ask, Im hard hearing, and not too up-to-date with all the lingos in the deaf world. What does HOH means? I have read the word in several post but no definition...Could you please tell me what it means?

Thank you,

Pato

Im sorry to ask, Im hard hearing, and not too up-to-date with all the lingos in the deaf world. What does HOH means? I have read the word in several post but no definition...Could you please tell me what it means?

Thank you,

Pato

Hard

Of

Hearing

Thank you,

Pato

Hard Of Hearing (HOH) is a level of hearing loss being in mild to moderate and maybe severe hearing loss also. If you were not born hard of hearing or deaf, then you are Late Deafened.

I was born deaf except that I could make it out the sounds (very severe hearing loss) with my only hearing aid (left ear) and totally profound deafness on my right ear. Everyone has different degrees of hearing loss. No one is the same.

i was not single(may aswel been)deaf age 30 two children babies at the time...did go away for rehabilitation .it was hard going maybe if born deaf been easier who knows

Back