Signing Santa :)

Anij

Reaction score
I'm very fortunate to live in a city where there is a large Hoh/Deaf community - and a large ASL community (with thousands of hearing people who take ASL classes each year)

One of the fun events that takes place here close to Christmas is the Signing Santa that visits with hearing, Hoh and Deaf children one Saturday at a shopping area in a central location in the city (as well as visiting various additional Hoh/Deaf events and parties throughout December).

Santa - being the international, and wonderful person he is knows many languages of course - including ASL :)

For those kids who don't know ASL - Santa has a hearing elf to interpret for hearing kids - and Hoh/Deaf kids that don't sign

It's an AWESOME program that has been going on in my city for 11year - and if getting more popular every year.

Here's the video - it's not captioned, however it basically explains what Signing Santa's means to our Hoh/Deaf kids etc

A Special Santa - Breakfast Television Winnipeg - Citytv Video Portal

that is interesting impressive hear interesting reading share to good topic!

Great. It looked like the kids were having fun. :)

We actually just got home from a local Deaf community event with a signing Santa. Unfortunatly, he was wearing a fake beard and Miss Kat noticed. She got very quiet and turned and looked at us. She said "He's not real. I see his strings. He is lying!"

She was sooooo sad! So, we had to scour the town looking for a better looking Santa. Luckily we found one and she is feeling much better about it now!

We visited Santa who also knew ASL! The girls were very impressed. I WISH I knew how to upload the video on here to show you...it's funny! For those of you who know me, you can see it on my Facebook profile page. :)

Back