Signing in Public

sparrow2

Reaction score
I've been wondering about this for awhile, and thought if I could ask the question here

I'm a hearing, and since ASL is visual. How does deaf communicate in public where others can see what they are saying?

I went to a convention recently for both hearing and deaf, and when I signed, I felt really self conscience, because I wasnt sure if people were watching me. I am reading a book about deaf and Deaf culture, but I havent seen a section that, addresses this.

Any comments would be helpful

I think that Aesop's Fables should come to alive. It would be so cool to see deaf fox use ASL with deaf wolf out in public or maybe deaf rabbit will use ASL with deaf cat.

As for me, being 35, I don't really care who sees me use ASL or not.

Just be careful at Deaf Event. I went to one where a guy was asking other guy, why did you not add me as a friend on facebook in ASL. I was able to eavesdrop on that. Not exactly something I would ask someone in public.

Deaf people just sign in public like they dont care about who is staring at them. Sadly, some deaf people are too scared to sign in public because they dont like to be stared at.

For me, I am not afraid to talk loud in public with my voices even though I cant talk perfect. I am not afraid to use ASL in public. I just cares about having fun with my deaf/hearing friends with NO limits.

Wirelessly posted

People who stare when I sign in public, I put it down purely to poor upbringing. It is to their detriment not mine. Especially those who 'mock-sign'. Tsk tsk.

If you're signing, you're least likely to be understood by others than if you were talking.

Look at the percentage of sign language users out there compared to non-users.

If you're really that concerned, then it's likely something you don't want shared with the public... and should be discussed someplace private.

When I go out, I don't really care about what I sign about. If it's something about someone or something in particular, then I will look around to see if I recognize anyone associated with what I'm talking about. ;)

Its just the same as hearing in public. dont talk too loud if you dont want others to know what you are talking about. whispering in public when someone is watching tells you that they are to something.

Same with deaf/HOH. A general topic like the weather, what to do, meet whats going on is fine in public. but if you need to talk about a private issue, they just try to hide the signs by turning away from a ceretain party or wait till a moree private time.

Hearing and deaf talking in public is not so different then you think.
OTOH - if someone is staring, and its rude no matter if you are deaf or hearing that is another issue.

You seem to have a self esteem issue with moving arms about like a wild monkey for a lack of a better term. Time will help the more you sign in public to get over it.

A friend of mine was on the train some time ago and smiled at two Japanese girls. They started talking about him (in Japanese), one was polite but the other was less flattering.

When he got off at his stop he thanked them (in Japanese, which they didn't realize he spoke as he's white British) for their comments!

You never know who's listening, so don't say anything you think could offend someone who'd overhear it. I was on a train recently where an American girl loudly and ignorantly listed all the problems with Canada and Canadians. :mad2:

Well, for example, at a shopping mall, you can't hear and comprehend all the conversations around you, can you? That's not to say that you couldn't eavesdrop on some nearby strangers, but in general? It's just noise. If there's a lot of people moving around a lot in one area, you're granted a degree of anonymity by the sheer volume of people and activity.

@Metalangel- I LOVE it when things like that happen. The shocked expressions on peoples' faces, hah! I'm sorry an American did something like that, though. :/ It's embarrassing that our citizens are largely that ignorant. IMO, Canadians have their s**t together a lot better than we do. Awkward.

A friend of mine was on the train some time ago and smiled at two Japanese girls. They started talking about him (in Japanese), one was polite but the other was less flattering.

When he got off at his stop he thanked them (in Japanese, which they didn't realize he spoke as he's white British) for their comments!

You never know who's listening, so don't say anything you think could offend someone who'd overhear it. I was on a train recently where an American girl loudly and ignorantly listed all the problems with Canada and Canadians. :mad2:

you are live in Canada? I wonder I am curious I am ask you I curious!

I understood do you have problems with Canada? I live Canadian :)

Metalangel do not have problems with Canada.

No, he mentioned that the American Girl (United States) was complaining about Canada and the Canadians. He was angry or upset over what the American girl was saying in loud voice and was very ignorant. I think Metalangel is hard of hearing, so he can hear what they are saying, I think. :hmm:

No no, I am Canadian born and raised and very happy to be back home!

It was an American girl on a train (in the UK) who was saying all this bad and misinformed crap about Canadians.

Being stereotypically polite, I didn't go and knock some sense into her. Eh.

Back