Signing exact English (SEE) Resources

Hammond Ham:

1. You have been asked by numerous posters to quote the poster you are replying to. Otherwise we do not always know who you are referring to. There is a "Quote" button at the bottom of each poster's message. If you would like to reply to my post, use the Quote button. It's there for a reason.

2. I suggest you read AllDeaf's rules and regulations. In a nutshell, members are not to post hateful, flaming, provoking, outrageous messages and the like. In the very short time you have been on this forum, you've managed to accomplish all that, and more. Nevermind that any members here have replied with language that you don't appreciate. It was in direct response to your messages, and would not have been used otherwise. What goes around comes around.

3. I asked you to cite your sources for the basis of your statements. You were asked this because making statements without evidence to back them up has been an ongoing issue across the board. It would be the same as me defaming you by claiming ham radio operators use radio access to spy on the United States. Does my saying that make it true? No. If I want to post something that inflames a group, I better have something to back it up with. Otherwise anyone and everyone could come in here and trash everyone. You have taken the deaf people here and lumped them into a group of illiterate, welfare mongers that are incapable of functioning on their own, hence the response you are getting.

And to the rest of my fellow AD'ers, patience is a virtue. :)

Last edited:
Hammond Ham:

And to the rest of my fellow AD'ers, patience is a virtue. :)

I am doing my best to not let him/her/it get to me. I refuse to be bullied and put down by some unknown person who thinks he is better than the rest of us who have "been there, done that".

OK, 38 pound underweight. You are so correct, I have never been deaf, even hard of hearing, but I now have head noises, so I can make some statements and without resorting to slander or gutter language. Just because you disagree, there is no reason to be totally disagreeable. I feel sure that your parents should have kept the stork! Otherwise, I can see from your limited point of view that I am in no position to make statements of which you disagree. Unless and until you are no longer "wet behind the ears" and have lived long enough, experienced enough, observed enough, studied enough, you can only speak from your own personal (and limited?) background. I have had to deal with in-your-face offensive people and, usually, the vitriol stems from their self righteous indignation and ignorance of a subject. You think (wrongly) that if you are crude and rude enough that you will (by default) win out over anyone with experience and/or opinions contrary to yours. I have met a goodly number of people like you while I spent years in ministry to deaf prisoners (you qualify). Maybe I will see you there some day soon. Meanwhile, I can speak freely on subjects (ie: HAs, CIs, SEE1/MSS, CC) with which I have personal experience going back over 40 years. So, go on, castigate me if you will. I shall not curse thee, I will feel sad that you are so deprived of genteel conversation and English skills that your own words convict you as the "38 pound underweight" you claim to be. SK HH
HH, your insults might not use profanity or scatological terminology but they are even more cruel and cutting. You make very personal digs that serve only to stir up reciprocal flaming.

You call others self righteous? Amazing! To say that an ADer qualifies to be a prisoner is extremely judgmental and insulting.

For someone who claims to be experienced, you somehow skipped those life chapters on wisdom and sensitivity to others.

"Genteel" conversation requires more than extensive, high-falutin' vocabulary; it requires a genteel spirit, which your words do NOT convey.

I am doing my best to not let him/her/it get to me. I refuse to be bullied and put down by some unknown person who thinks he is better than the rest of us who have "been there, done that".
Good for you! :thumb:

It wasn't. SEE1/MSS has many detractors, but so does ASL and other means of manual communications, but I know of no other sign system, other than SEE1/MSS, so well developed and documented so as to allow me to transliterate (professionally) at UT-Dallas for over 5 years (and it paid well, too). SK HH
The difference is, ASL is a language, and the others are sign systems, not languages.

Just because you didn't know how to interpret those classes into ASL doesn't mean it can't be done.

At least you're honest about the money angle.

Likewise, MAD DAME! You certainly have nothing worth while to post and, incidentally, I am not castigating any one individual, nor you. It is the educational system that stinks! It is the sole reason for under employed and unemployable deaf citizens, which fosters dependency. Why do you internalize (take personal) everything with which you disagree? That is NOT being an ADULT. I fail to detect any "adulthood" in your posts, they are indeed juvenile at best. And, I would hope that you were more open minded and "adult" so as to not isolate yourself from contra opinions. SK HH
You are very much castigating posters as individuals.

Maybe people wouldn't "internalize" your statements if you didn't keep using the "you" word in the insulting remarks that you make.

Wow...I really don't quite know what to reply to your diatribe, but I will try, and be mannerly, too. first of all, I need to determine the reason(s) you are so defensive about what I communicate. Is there some internal hate for hearing people?
There is no internal hate for hearing people at AD. Posts can be red hot, and yes, at times very rude here but not on the basis of hearing vs. deaf/hoh.

Rude? Indeed, you have no real reason to call me "rude".
:jaw:

HH, your insults might not use profanity or scatological terminology but they are even more cruel and cutting. You make very personal digs that serve only to stir up reciprocal flaming.

You call others self righteous? Amazing! To say that an ADer qualifies to be a prisoner is extremely judgmental and insulting.

For someone who claims to be experienced, you somehow skipped those life chapters on wisdom and sensitivity to others.

"Genteel" conversation requires more than extensive, high-falutin' vocabulary; it requires a genteel spirit, which your words do NOT convey.

Excellent post, Reba.

I have read the threads regarding SEE1 and SEE2 plus Hammond Ham's new SEE1/MSS which I have never sign like that before. I am shock what Mr. Hammond Ham is saying so rudely and unfair to our Deaf community here on AD. :shock: When I met him on the introduction thread, I thought he was nice and he seem to chose SEE1 just like ASL, but not the other kind of SEE1/MSS. I have never sign like that before when Reba put them up to explain what the SEE1/MSS signs are. They are totally different than the regular SEE1. Thank you, Reba! :hug:

You had me come on as want me to be friend and put your Avatar on my friendship board in my PM (Private Message).

Hammond Ham, I am very unhappy for what you are doing to all of us ADers who are deaf like me for being so disrespectful and think that you are holier over us thinking that you are the expert. Wrong! I used SEE1 like what I sign for ASL and then change to ASL. I am comfortable signing ASL better than SEE1. We are literate and can do wonderful things for ourselves as far as trying to find a job in the hearing world. You should not have said that in AD forum like that. When we discuss or debate, we try to refrain from making rude remarks so that we can get across what we want to discuss about, not bombard us with all your words of not making the language not pretty at all.

No wonder, maybe that is why your wife left you because of the way you say things like that outrage and not show any respect to word wise that would make your wife happy to hear what you speak with your mind kindly and respectful. Now you talk us down on this. Sorry, I can not be your friend if you are going to be like that. :(

If he keeps this up, he'll be no longer of this site.

OK...Left ear implanted April 2007......Brain implanted NEVER?. Your narrow mindedness is evident and it "ain't" pretty. SK HH

For someone whose critical thinking is far superior to any of the AD posters, you seem unable to back up your assertions. If you don't have any solid sources to back up your claims then it remains an assertion.

The "investigate" had me in fits. :lol:

I'll take ASL any day, please.

:lol: I'd never use that sign for sure. Just too damn awkward! These links that Reba provided is certainly causing me to have flashbacks of when I first learned sign at 13.

You are correct, it is not uncommon for signers, after years of communicating with their hands, to end up with "hand problems', usually carpal tunnel syndrome (my ex-wife has it, I don't), but it is NOT the fault of SEE1/MSS as you seem to (wrongly) think. SK HH

My reasoning for disliking SEE has virtually nothing to do with Carpal Tunnel and everything to do with linguistic and psychological issues, not to mention processing difficulties. SEE is nothing more than another ethnocentric technique of the audist that promotes the philosophy that linear language is preferable to a language based on a spatial, time oriented sequence. That premise cannot be supported, and can be easily disputed by anyone with even a slight knowledge of linguistics, neuropsychology, and educational psychology.

You appear to make many assumptions regarding your own beliefs, as well as the education, experience, and validity of the opinions and experiences of members of this forum. The vast majority of those assumptions are totally incorrect and misguided. The manner is which you present them is off putting. I sugggest you do some work on your own issues prior to attempting to work on other's.

Wow...I really don't quite know what to reply to your diatribe, but I will try, and be mannerly, too. first of all, I need to determine the reason(s) you are so defensive about what I communicate. Is there some internal hate for hearing people? Rude? Indeed, you have no real reason to call me "rude". I have been about as open and genteel as humanly possible. so I deduce that you have a "chip on your shoulder", especially toward other viewpoints. Incidentally, I have a corpulent cat, 25 pounds. I see that you have "lot of experience" of dealing with "hearing people". Interesting, I have had a lot of experience with both deaf, HoH and hearing people and I do not think less of any of them than you seemingly do of me. If you lived in this area, you would find (firsthand) that most of our local deaf (sadly) are unemployed and living on welfare.
That is NOT something I would wish on any of them, but facts are facts. I do agree, that in large towns like Dallas, Austin, Houston, the deaf fare better, have better jobs and have access to better services. Not so 75 miles from the Metromess. The deaf ed program is a failure and the economy under Obama and the Czars does not help. Maybe I need to send some of these reading at 2nd to 4th grade English your way. You just might change your tune, but I doubt it. SK HH

You fail to recognize that the average high school graduate, hearing, reads at only a 5th-6th grade level. Given the myriad of difficulties experienced in deaf ed, the fact that they are only showing a 1-2 delay behind hearing peers is a testament to the remarkable coping mechanisms the deaf students have developed. And they have developed; I might add, without assistance from hearing educators.

And, drop the SK. This is not a TTY. The fact that you continue to confuse a forum with a TTY is evidence of your inability to critically apply skills and information.

We've been talked down to by a Ham in Preston, Texas? Ya'll must be high falootin' up there near the Oklahoma border. Further down south, not only do many deaf people have excellent English skills, they aren't assh*les.

Hold up there, lady. Wait, I'm not from the south.
Proceed. :)

Back