Signing exact English (SEE) Resources

:shock:: I looked at that <link Shel and Reba gave to SEE> and was like:eek3:
oh wow....yuck...

Yeppers...SEE is ridicoulous. Taking a language that is beautiful and distort it. English is also distorted there too. Lol

As much as I love the English language, I really hate it in SEE form. All the things that makes English language a great spoken language also renders it cumumbersome and awkward to use in signed form.

And I started out as a SEE signer as well. I remember my rescoure teacher wanted us to learn how to us capitlization correctly so she had us sign a word in a circle at the start of our sentences in sign. I don't thank that was one of her better ideas. :P

You're remarks are a total asswipe, but I would never deign to use them for myself. Just pick it up yourself and kindly return to whatever planet you are from and figure out how to be nice to people. Until you have walked even a yard in our footsteps, you cannot begin to know what we can or cannot do. I do not think you even know what strides have been made in regards to the deaf and hard of hearing. Kindly get off your soapbox and return to your home planet!!!!
OK, 38 pound underweight. You are so correct, I have never been deaf, even hard of hearing, but I now have head noises, so I can make some statements and without resorting to slander or gutter language. Just because you disagree, there is no reason to be totally disagreeable. I feel sure that your parents should have kept the stork! Otherwise, I can see from your limited point of view that I am in no position to make statements of which you disagree. Unless and until you are no longer "wet behind the ears" and have lived long enough, experienced enough, observed enough, studied enough, you can only speak from your own personal (and limited?) background. I have had to deal with in-your-face offensive people and, usually, the vitriol stems from their self righteous indignation and ignorance of a subject. You think (wrongly) that if you are crude and rude enough that you will (by default) win out over anyone with experience and/or opinions contrary to yours. I have met a goodly number of people like you while I spent years in ministry to deaf prisoners (you qualify). Maybe I will see you there some day soon. Meanwhile, I can speak freely on subjects (ie: HAs, CIs, SEE1/MSS, CC) with which I have personal experience going back over 40 years. So, go on, castigate me if you will. I shall not curse thee, I will feel sad that you are so deprived of genteel conversation and English skills that your own words convict you as the "38 pound underweight" you claim to be. SK HH

As much as I love the English language, I really hate it in SEE form. All the things that makes English language a great spoken language also renders it cumumbersome and awkward to use in signed form.

And I started out as a SEE signer as well. I remember my rescoure teacher wanted us to learn how to us capitlization correctly so she had us sign a word in a circle at the start of our sentences in sign. I don't thank that was one of her better ideas. :P
It wasn't. SEE1/MSS has many detractors, but so does ASL and other means of manual communications, but I know of no other sign system, other than SEE1/MSS, so well developed and documented so as to allow me to transliterate (professionally) at UT-Dallas for over 5 years (and it paid well, too). SK HH

I'm afraid you're full of unmitigated bunkum.
Maybe, but you are not yet able to refute from critical thinking, you can only criticize.
If you are as articulate (as you seem to claim to be) then stop the criticisms and critique from the basis of having 40+ years of experience, raising two deaf children and imparting English to my students. Disagree without being disagreeable. Thank you. SK HH

I hate SEE!!
You are correct, it is not uncommon for signers, after years of communicating with their hands, to end up with "hand problems', usually carpal tunnel syndrome (my ex-wife has it, I don't), but it is NOT the fault of SEE1/MSS as you seem to (wrongly) think. SK HH

Hammond Ham ... I have to admit - I'm beyond baffled that you'd post here as you do, disrespect people as you do so freely (while being a hearing newbie on a deaf forum)....

And in the same breath have the nerve or stupidity (take your pick) to actually ask to be "friend-ed" by me here ??

Are you kidding me ?

I'm going to be adult, and NOT post what I truly want to ... but needless to say, no I'm not interested in being "friends" with anyone as narrow minded and conceded as yourself.

Reba.....You must have been sent by GOD! What a pleasure to find you involved with SEE1/MSS. I am friend of both David Anthony and with Dr. Wanda Milburn of the Amarillo (TX) ISD. In the late 70's and until our 2 deaf kids were out of school, and since, I have maintained contact with both David and Wanda. While David has (bitterly) dropped out of further development, Wanda and her team continue to refine and develop MSS. You may e-mail me at "hammond_ham@juno.com" for more information. God bless. SK HH

Why do you hate ASL users, HH?

Likewise, MAD DAME! You certainly have nothing worth while to post and, incidentally, I am not castigating any one individual, nor you. It is the educational system that stinks! It is the sole reason for under employed and unemployable deaf citizens, which fosters dependency. Why do you internalize (take personal) everything with which you disagree? That is NOT being an ADULT. I fail to detect any "adulthood" in your posts, they are indeed juvenile at best. And, I would hope that you were more open minded and "adult" so as to not isolate yourself from contra opinions. SK HH

OK, 38 pound underweight. You are so correct, I have never been deaf, even hard of hearing, but I now have head noises, so I can make some statements and without resorting to slander or gutter language. Just because you disagree, there is no reason to be totally disagreeable. I feel sure that your parents should have kept the stork! Otherwise, I can see from your limited point of view that I am in no position to make statements of which you disagree. Unless and until you are no longer "wet behind the ears" and have lived long enough, experienced enough, observed enough, studied enough, you can only speak from your own personal (and limited?) background. I have had to deal with in-your-face offensive people and, usually, the vitriol stems from their self righteous indignation and ignorance of a subject. You think (wrongly) that if you are crude and rude enough that you will (by default) win out over anyone with experience and/or opinions contrary to yours. I have met a goodly number of people like you while I spent years in ministry to deaf prisoners (you qualify). Maybe I will see you there some day soon. Meanwhile, I can speak freely on subjects (ie: HAs, CIs, SEE1/MSS, CC) with which I have personal experience going back over 40 years. So, go on, castigate me if you will. I shall not curse thee, I will feel sad that you are so deprived of genteel conversation and English skills that your own words convict you as the "38 pound underweight" you claim to be. SK HH

You are more rude than some people are willing to admit. I normally do NOT resort to offensive or crude language. And, if you will notice, My avatar picture is of a CAT, not me. The CAT was Clyde, a 38 pound wonder. Since most cats do not get quite that heavy. I have no reason to ever be put into a prison and I do not qualify for one either, though I was once involved with the prison ministry from my church one year. Had to stop as I got married and started a family. Still married to the same man no less. (this is in no way meant to belittle any of my AD friends who may have had divorces or such) I never said you couldn't talk about anything you wished, just don't act like you are the "end all and be all" expert on the subject. We here on AD have a lot of experience dealing with hearing people who want to push their POV on us. We will debate it and then know what we ourselves want. We just want to make sure that if someone new comes in asking for advice or information, then get a fair representation of what is out there and what to be expected on their journey. From what I have seen of your posts, all they can expect is to have nothing but judgmental bias everywhere they turn.

I was born HOH, wore HA's for a number of years. Went without HA's for more years, and then totally lost all of my hearing 4 years ago. My parents were advised to not have me learn any sign language or to know anything about deaf culture or the deaf community. I am finding it out in my adulthood. I am still adjusting and I think I am doing very well. I am now slowly learning ASL. I have had a lot of life experiences and have quite a few more to go. I may not have had the advantages you had, but I had a lot of advantages that a lot of others did not have. I feel my parents did the best for me that they could given the information they had.

Please do not ever assume that a person is dumb or ignorant or illiterate just because they are deaf or HOH. We can succeed in life. It's sometimes is a little harder for us, but it makes us to be stronger individuals in the end. We are all proud of whatever we succeed and excel at. We have deaf teachers, musicians, actors, actresses and deaf professionals as well as deaf medical personnel. Whether the individual was pre-lingually or post-lingually deaf, they are still to be commended for whatever they are able to achieve. Some of us have other medical issues to go along with out hearing loss. Low vision, blindness, MS, and a host of other issues. We are here to educate others without putting them down or saying that "it's our way or you're undereducated".

Who said that I "hate ASL users"? YOU DID, not me. You are assuming something not in hard evidence. That is your assumption which is ass-n-9. Don't internalize (take personal) everything with which you do not comprehend or differ. That is being an adult. SK HH

Likewise, MAD DAME! You certainly have nothing worth while to post and, incidentally, I am not castigating any one individual, nor you. It is the educational system that stinks! It is the sole reason for under employed and unemployable deaf citizens, which fosters dependency. Why do you internalize (take personal) everything with which you disagree? That is NOT being an ADULT. I fail to detect any "adulthood" in your posts, they are indeed juvenile at best. And, I would hope that you were more open minded and "adult" so as to not isolate yourself from contra opinions. SK HH

Sometimes it is hard to know who your post is referring to since you don't use the "Quote" button. Please use it, when you are referring to another user post.

By telling people they deserve to go to prison, by wondering if people got brain implants...I could name a few more that makes your posts so personal.

Just stating the facts.

All you had was to answer a simple question. Since simplicity seems out of the question for you, then I guess you can continue on your quest to insult many people by stating these outlandish remarks.

:dunno:

If I am illiterate and undereducated, blame oral-only deaf education. That was how I was raised. I was immersed in English but it didnt do shit for me.

Back