Signing exact English (SEE) Resources

BS = We all know what that is.

MS = More of the same.

PHD = Piled Higher and Deeper.

LOL, that's pretty funny. I'll have to use that some time. Thanks.

BTW, here's one for you:

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

Shel90,

They are to be commended, especially IF they are providing an equal education to their "clients" as is being attempted (half-heartedly) to the hearing students.

All education is in deep DOO-DOO these days. Tons of money are wasted on programs with no evidence of educating. That goes for both the education of the deaf and of the hearing.

I retired form a CBS TV affiliate, where the news room was filled with "newies", all with college diplomas, who could not spell or write a single sentence WITHOUT grammatical problems AND they demonstrated their lack of education over the airwaves.

Now, retired, they have left small town TV on to larger markets where their ineptitude spreads like a cancer. OH, but, they are college grad-u-ates, with a diploma on the wall.

My observation(s) have been that (truly) deaf educators have produced better results than the bulk of other programs with hearing personnel, yet if turning out students with 2nd to 4th grade reading and English comprehension levels cannot be considered as be a successful program and sullies their credentials, deaf and/or hearing.

Hey, if you are going to live in Moscow, you had better learn the language. Likewise, if you are going to live in, predominately English speaking, America, you had better become conversant in English, using hearing aids, Cochlear implants, whatever does the job.

In my classroom(s), I used SEE1/MSS and nothing else. Outside, you are free sign with your toes but NOT in my class. I am there to educate you in ENGLISH, to provide
(inasmuch as I can) with the information you will need to be competitive outside the classroom , in your job, in your church and in society.

ASL, grand as it is, is not what the hearing will learn or use just to satisfy you, so you'd better know English and no Americans with Disabilities Act will force others to learn ASL, just to placate the deaf.

Matter of fact, few parents of deaf children ever become proficient at signing. No wonder their kids have so many problems with bonding to others. The language barrier really separated them from their, non-signing, mom and dad.

Further, just because there is opposition to my viewpoint, I will not condemn them, I will just turn a "deaf ear".

"Nuff sed!

Hammond Ham

To: The Write Alex...

Deaf Education is not unlike a Longhorned male bovine.

Two, widely separated points, with a lot of bull in between , followed by lots of YKW.

Hammond Ham

We've been talked down to by a Ham in Preston, Texas? Ya'll must be high falootin' up there near the Oklahoma border. Further down south, not only do many deaf people have excellent English skills, they aren't assh*les.

To dispel the "mystery" surrounding Hammond Ham...

FYI, I am NOT a college graduate, I am not a high school graduate and I doubt that most college "grad-u-ates" do not have any higher IQ than do I.

I have over 40 years in working with and raising deaf and HoH children. My success rate is not 100%, but neither is yours.

My children have outpaced most of those exiting most deaf ed programs.

My hands on experience, IMNSHO, is equal to, maybe more, than most BS, MS and DR sheep skins.

BS = We all know what that is.

MS = More of the same.

PHD = Piled Higher and Deeper.

It is sad that those with high academic titles have, for the most part, never raised a deaf child and only regurgitate the academic tripe with which they have been fed.

I subscribe to "NO GUTS, NO GLORY" and my children attest to my GUTS and GLORY.

The encyclopedia notes that l'Eppe "developed his Old French Sign Lsnguage as a means to educate and to "save the deaf" (from themselves, I presume).

That same spirit permeates deaf academia to this very day. It is a manifestation of the selfish pride, the "feel-good" of controlling others and, along the way, of demeaning everything or anyone that disagrees or postulates anything new or inventive.

Most are too timid to examine or try anything new, besides, they are content with the status quo no matter who suffers, just as long as they are not challenged in their thinking.

As for me, I'll try most anything (at least until disproved) to teach (not my profession).

All in all, I have been successful, especially in helping to educate my children (with no thanks to the "professionals, so called).

Here is a think-it-over......lead, follow or get out of the way! I am a pioneer, a thinker, a mover and shaker of ideas and policies.

How about you? Have you ever taken the chance to experiment, to test, challenge or promote something new or inventive?

No, you have not the guts to move outside a proscribed comfort zone and, there, you shall live and die, never having experienced the "agony of defeat" or of real success.

Your tombstone should read, "I never tried anything new, once"?

Maybe you need a change in career and a redirection.

Now, be genteel in your response. You are a lady, aren't you?

Hammond Ham -aka- Nemisis

:lol: That should be Nemesis!! :laugh2:

ezn1hi.jpg

Y'all be trolling in a troll thread!

This guy reminds me of a Nemesis troll from another forum.. but that guy can spell better.

Henceforth, I shall post but I will ignore your corrupted mindset. It deserve only silence and I bet that really disturbs your lapses in your synapses. HH

"lapses in my synapses"-- I'll have to write that down. Sounds like a good title for a poem.

Look, the thing is, Sir Hammond Ham, most of us are not interested in debating this with you because you are so far off base we don't even know where to begin, except with incredulity and offense. Most of what you have stated, at least the parts that can be tested empirically, was disproved a long time ago. It's really silly for many of us to even be having this discussion. You make a few valid claims about the status of deaf education, but your logic for how those situations arose completely demonstrates your ignorance on the subject of deaf studies, ASL, and basic linguistics.

You may have successfully raised two deaf children to adulthood (but we can only take you at your word), but that doesn't mean your method is correct or works across the board, and it certainly doesn't make you an expert.

A few people have already rebutted you very soundly (and politely), yet, like a cliched broken record, you keep spewing out these inane, histrionic ramblings. There's nothing left to debate. There never was. You're charging windmills, my friend.

Sancho Panza is shaking his head.

OK, here is some information to assist you with SEE1 signs. Just keep in mind that there are 2, competing(?) SEE sign systems. SEE1 (Seeing Essential English/Morpheme Sign System) als David Anthony and SEE2, Signing Exact English, ala Guftason(?). SEE1 has a lot of information available at: www.amaisd.org/mss and at: Welcome to NDCLB.
Those links didn't work so I tried this one:

Amarillo Independent School District

...On line you should find the "code-breaker" and the latest information on SEE1/MSS signs,
but you need to get familiar with the code-breaker to fully understand and implement the rather extensive dictionary.
Do you support this system? If you do, wouldn't it be easier for you to provide the link and/or explain the code to us?

Nothing like having a VP to lay one's bragging rights to rest. :naughty:

You've got to be kidding me! 3 and 4 individual signs to create one noun? That would drive me crazy.
No kidding. That would wear me out.

The signs are not conceptual, either.

Look at the "Clear the table, please." Clear?

"You may be excused." Huh?

Madam,

I was taught to not argue with a foolish person.

You seem to qualify as being a product of a long failed, educationally incestuous, self serving, head-in-the-sand, academic (so called) philosophy that has bought into the same old barf, regurgitated for over 100 years, concerning all aspects of deaf education and society.

There are none so blind that they choose not to see, for if you had, you would be able to understand that the falsehoods and assumptions, fostered in over the years and accepted by the academically impaired as truths, are a castle built on sand.

Your only rebuttal is limited to asking multiple, inane, questions, mainly concerning my credentials. Well, if 40+ years of hands-on, raising two deaf, adopted children to adulthood is not good enough, then there is no way to get you to consider my blog or to reconsider your own failed philosophy and methodology.

Until you have done English transliteration, at a graduate school, in mathematics, psychology and astrophysics, I think you are ill prepared for an intellectual challenge.

I am appalled that, in the 21st century, the deaf education system (for the most part) remains mired in 19th century thinking and you have so ably demonstrated that you remain as a part of that failure.

There is little honesty in deaf education and ignorance begets more ignorance, the results are, by and large, the unfortunate deaf are pawns for their service providers self gratification and benefit, while much of the deaf remain under educated, unemployable, all the while being manipulated by their "benefactors".

With many deaf reading with a 2nd to 4th grade English proficiency, they are ill prepared to flourish in a modern technological, predominately hearing, society.

Intellectual dishonesty and haughty claims for the "good" (deaf service providers) they have done and are doing, in retrospect, and upon minute examination clearly have not
brought the deaf into the 21st century.

They do not comprehend written or spoken English (a prerequisite), they remain at odds with the rest of society, all the while you foster and support the systems and 19th century thought that enslave them.

Personally, madam, I would not wish to arrive at the Great White Throne, on Judgment Day, where all, great and small, will have to answer for our thoughts and actions, only to hear of the punishment that is sure to come.

"That which you have done to the least of them, you have done unto Me" and deaf ed has a lot of explaining to do.

Have you truly educated the deaf? NO!

Have you lessened their need for your services? NO!

Can they read and comprehend English or have you enslaved them to having to have an interpreter? YES!

Have you made them independent (NO!) or dependent (YES!).

Can they read the Closed Captions with understanding. NO! The (6th grade) words "too hard" and "go too fast"?

Until we, all together, bring the deaf up to a minimal par of their hearing peers, using modern manual English communications, digital hearing aids and cochlear implants, to name a few, deaf education stands condemned.

By the way, our school systems are not doing a commendable job of educating the hearing, either.

I pray that you will not long remain as a "stumble in the march of time".

I have thrown down the gauntlet!

I have made a mark in the sand.

Are you ready for the challenge?

Then, bring it on or cease and desist your disinformation.

You're remarks are a total asswipe, but I would never deign to use them for myself. Just pick it up yourself and kindly return to whatever planet you are from and figure out how to be nice to people. Until you have walked even a yard in our footsteps, you cannot begin to know what we can or cannot do. I do not think you even know what strides have been made in regards to the deaf and hard of hearing. Kindly get off your soapbox and return to your home planet!!!!

Check out "language," "investigate," and "apartment."

TEKS 2nd Simester

No wonder deaf children who are taught by this system are struggling with conceptual and abstract thinking.

This would drive me crazy too and if I attempted to sign these signs at my work, I would be laughed out of the building. lol

To: The Write Alex...

Deaf Education is not unlike a Longhorned male bovine.

Two, widely separated points, with a lot of bull in between , followed by lots of YKW.

Hammond Ham

I'm afraid you're full of unmitigated bunkum.

Back