sign puns

Thinking about puns the other day, it occurred that seeing as puns exploit quirks in language, different languages, symbolisms, and grammars provide new worlds of opportunity for puns. Does anyone know of any sign specific jokes or puns where the sign is maybe ambiguous or has a double meaning that can be exploited in a funny way? -tucki

i know a few quirks in sign, not really sure they are puns.....

do the sign for stand, upsidedown. a v handshape under horizontal b. means "understand"

do the sign for "hop", with I handshape. means ihop(international house of pancakes)

left hand "u" shape, right hand "d" shape, facing away. make the "d" smack into the "u" and the "u" falls over into an "h"....means "duh"

Tousi

You mean like using the sign for "brown" and "knee" to mean Brownie (Girl Scouts)?

Or using the sign for "milk" across your eyes to mean "pasteurized" (past your eyes)? :giggle:

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
How about "Sears"?

Both hands, "S" shape, held next to both ears.

(I know, it's more English but it's popular here.)

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
If you're referring to signs being made up due to what they are known for, I'd say that I've seen a lot of that here.

There are a few places here in Rochester and at RIT that a lot of deaf students and people made up signs for. There's Walmart (signed with W-M in the form of "pathetic"), Dining Commons (signed with D-C in the form of choking), Grace Watson (signed with G-W in the form of swallowing and vomiting), and Ritchies (signed with R in the form of basement).

Interpretrator

Crime fighter
Premium Member
There are a few places here in Rochester and at RIT that a lot of deaf students and people made up signs for. There's Walmart (signed with W-M in the form of "pathetic"), Dining Commons (signed with D-C in the form of choking), Grace Watson (signed with G-W in the form of swallowing and vomiting), and Ritchies (signed with R in the form of basement).
I had a teacher who signed Alexander Graham Bell as STUPID, PEA-BRAIN, BASTARD (A-G-B handshapes on forehead).

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Vamproxy - never seen that one for walmart. I use the sign cheap but with a W handshape
Yeah, that's the other sign that I've seen. The 3rd one is just holding your right hand up (like you do when you're swearing in at court) and just doing 'W' and 'M'.

This is funny, I was just discussing ASL 'puns' the other day. I don't know if these would be considered as puns, it's more just playing with signs, here's one that I know.

Make the "I Love You" handshape and wave the index finger side-to-side = "Where is the love?"

Communication Software for Deaf Hard of Hearing - NexTalk