Sign for Prom from show Switched at Birth

pixiestix

Reaction score
I see the sign for prom ... fist under your chin and move back n forth

Why is it signed that way? It seems weird to me, just wondering.

Do you know?

Everyone I know from school (terps and ASL teachers) just finger spells it. I saw that sign during the ASL class in my classroom, and the deaf teacher, 2 deaf students, and super amazing terp were discussing it and none had seen that before.

I've always seen it spelled.

I didn't see that episode, so I can't visualize the sign they used.

I saw this sign for the first time when i first watched the prom episode on switched at birth. Most of my deaf friends fingerspell it. I usually do too. I asked my mom if she knew that sign and she said she probably has but she fingerspells it. The ASL teacher at my high school teaches that sign so I don't really know how Prom became into that sign. I'm curious to know why.

I've always seen it spelled.

I didn't see that episode, so I can't visualize the sign they used.

You know the rolling "S" under the chin which sometimes means "stone" or "steel"......

Most images from my thoughts about prom is a rose. Have you seen often that other ppl use roses on their mouths? Most likely in TV?

That's why prom makes sense. And I like to sign like "Do you want to go to prom with me?

(Signing: You Want Go Prom With Me?)

Just sign in beautiful/pleasure way, so girls would say yes. I did that way two weeks ago, so we are going to the prom next month ^_^

Used spelled P R O M or "dance" in my school years... never sign.

Hey all, interesting that this came up! I live in the area of St. Rita's school for deaf and have always been told that it is a St. Rita's sign. People from St. Rita's around here use that sign; others who did not go to school there tend to FS it. lol around here, St. Rita's has their own sign dialect.

Back