sign for Buddhism?

guido

Reaction score
In preparation for my ASL assignment this week, I'm trying to pick out some vocab I will need for the assignment. I'm having trouble finding a sign for "Buddism." Does anyone on here know of one or is it to be fingerspelled? None of the online dictionaries I've seen have it listed. I'm actually dissapointed with ASLPro. For their religious section, they have nothing but Christian and biblical signs. Pretty pathetic. :roll:

Buddhism is usually spelled everywhere I went but... my idea is

left hand palm up touching the mid-chest and right hand "b" resting on left palm as if mediating.

buddhism.jpg

see they have both palm up resting on top of each other... but for asl one could do what I described.

Put both your hands, your palm up, like "what" but stay, not moving, and cross your thumb and a finger like "F" with your lipread as "poos".

Yeah, Boult is right, we usually just spell "Buddhism".

The sign name for the person Buddha depends on the country using it.

One common form is to use the sign name of Lumbini, Nepal, his birthplace, which is used to commemorate his birth.

It is:

both hands in a relaxed "C" shape, palms up. Dominant hand rests in the palm of the non-dominant hand, held at waist height.

For the sign of a person who is a Buddhist, you can add the agent ending, or sign that a person follows Buddha, or you can sign BUDDHA + RELIGION.

I also have signs for some of the other Buddhist terms if you need them.

Put both your hands, your palm up, like "what" but stay, not moving, and cross your thumb and a finger like "F" with your lipread as "poos".

That's the one I've used and seen, but interesting to know about the one with one hand resting on the other. Thanks.

I've seen the "8" or "F" upturned hands used for MEDITATION but the "cupped" hands for the person of Buddha.

Maybe it's a regional difference. :dunno:

I've seen the "8" or "F" upturned hands used for MEDITATION but the "cupped" hands for the person of Buddha.

Maybe it's a regional difference. :dunno:

our sign german same as in American sign "f" too, but I have no idea about anymore. that is all :dunno:

SAW SOMETHING ON PINTEREST THAT WAS THE REFUGE PRAYER IN ASL, WITH ADDITION OF 2 HANDS OPENING FROM FOLDED IN PRAYER SLOWLY OUTWARD,TO BECOME THE SHAPE OF A LARGE LOTUS FLOWER AS SIGN FOR BUDDHA.EXCUSE LARGE PRINT.HELPS AS I'M VISUALLY IMPAIRED AS WELL AS NEWLY DEAF,LIKE MANY SENIORS. ENJOY YOUR SOJOURN IN BUDDHISM.GOOD FREE SUTRA SITES ARE MANY. WAKAN

Back