Sidekick LX vs Blackberry Curve (my experiences)

OpheliaSpeaks

Reaction score
Hey all!
Thought I would take the time to post my thoughts on both of these T-Mobile network devices, as I have owned them both!
I originally knew I wanted the LX, but I had never owned a Sidekick before. After my hearing difficulties and my relying mostly on text/email, I thought the Sidekick would be an excellent device.
I liked it. I liked the feel of it and the keyboard was wonderful for quickly pounding out texts/emails.
But...
After extensive testing, we discovered my hearing loss was caused by a neurovascular disorder and I have regained most of my hearing (I only have some low frequency loss now). Since I was able to use voice calling a lot more, I paid more attention to the voice calling on the LX. The speakerphone is good, but there is a lot of high-pitched and otherwise "strange" noises when trying to talk on the phone w/ the speakerphone disabled. I had a very hard time hearing people and then discovered THIS review on the low frequency signals and the LX.
The ringers on the LX were VERY hard for me to hear and I was missing most of the calls that were coming in if my LX was not on my person.
I did, however, love the strobe lighting and the vibrating is very strong.
One thing I didn't know is how locked down the Sidekicks are. I was not able to even download my own ringtones without paying for them through T-Mobile. The LX doesn't even come with any sort of alarm clock! I thought that was a bit peculiar.
Another strange thing is that the LX does NOT support the My Album feature through T-Mobile so you can share pictures. The reason for this is because the LX can send and receive picture messaging, so they decided to make it not compatible with My Album. The problem with this is that the earlier Sidekicks don't have the same MMS capabilities, so the only way for my friend with a SK3 to send me a pic message to the LX is if it's sent as an email attachment. Weird.

I returned the LX for the BlackBerry Curve 8320, and I am SOOO glad I did! The keyboard is a bit awkward to adjust to, but I'm sure I'll be fine. The ringers on the Curve are LOUD and there are many, many to choose from. You can also make and send your own for free through a few different websites. The call quality is much, much better for me. There aren't any high-pitched noises (sounded almost like tinnitus) and I'm understanding people much better on the phone. I love the features on the Curve, and the WiFi is an added bonus as a research student always on Campus or in a coffee house. lol My Album is featured as is MMS.

All in all, I think both phones are great devices, it just depends on what you're going to be using them for. If you need a phone solely for text/paging and no voice plan, then I'd say the LX will do just fine, although some have said it's the "Fisher Price" of messaging tools...you kinda get the feeling that it's geared toward the younger generation with all the lockdowns and such. The Unlimited Sidekick plan is really nice and all-inclusive too.
I think the BlackBerry Curve suits perfectly if you only need it for text/paging and more realistic web browsing (especially if you need a business SmartPhone), but the added bonus is that the call quality is better if you use voice phone. The downfall is that the BlackBerry doesn't have a "special plan" the way the Sidekicks do and is almost $15 more per month for text/internet/etc.

Just thought I'd share. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'd be glad to help out.

Your thread is excellent post! No I don't think so both are excellent devices on earth. I am ex sk for 5 years until last year (2/2007) i switched sk to bb 8700g before curve released. BB really fell in love with me. I realized that sk has limit opitions, lack of video capture, lousy quailty camera, incapable with GPS, on and on the list you name. You know what? sk lx is nothing change from sk3, but very minor improve like big screen and font. thats it. Now, the most sexist Curve has almost everything what you looking for! I can see RIM did improve and upgrade devices since 930 series (I'm not sure about that)

I am glad you did experiment with both devices, the final choice 8320 you made. your decision is right! thank you for your experinces share with this forums.

the blackberry is the best choice!

The downfall is that the BlackBerry doesn't have a "special plan" the way the Sidekicks do and is almost $15 more per month for text/internet/etc.

Can you elaborate? On T-Mobile the Sidekick plan and the Blackberry Data only plan both cost $29.99 per month. Are you talking about voice plans?

I have a voice plan too.
The "Sidekick Unlimited" plan is unlimited texting/internet/emailing for 19.99/month.
The BlackBerry "unlimited" plan is 39.99/mo but does NOT include texting.
I went with a MyFaves plan, 400 text msgs and unlimited internet/email. But with my contract renewal I got unlimited BlackBerry for 29.99.
It's hard to keep track because they change the promotions around a lot.

I am currently owning the Sidekick LX, and I love it very much.
For more information, feel free to PM me.

blackberry vs sidekick

Hi everyone,

I have sidekick 3 for long time. I know blackberry is better and strong than sidekick. I plan to buy blackberry cruve from at&t (not sure). Tell me which provider is best for services for blackberry? I know sidekick networking is alright cuz it always get 3 or 2 dots everytime. At&t have strong coverage in usa than tmobile. I know blackberry is best choice. Let me know about this.

Thanks....:cheers::cheers:

Hi everyone,

I have sidekick 3 for long time. I know blackberry is better and strong than sidekick. I plan to buy blackberry cruve from at&t (not sure). Tell me which provider is best for services for blackberry? I know sidekick networking is alright cuz it always get 3 or 2 dots everytime. At&t have strong coverage in usa than tmobile. I know blackberry is best choice. Let me know about this.

Just to let you know AT&T TAP plan for deaf is not avaiable on Blackberry.

If you want to go with AT&T then I recommend you to check out the Moto Q9H Global which should be able to add on the AT&T TAP plan.

The Sidekick LX doesn't have an alarm clock? I thought all Sidekicks have it?

The Sidekick LX doesn't have an alarm clock? I thought all Sidekicks have it?

Not all of them, you have to set up a time to go off in the calendar on SK3 and all. They don't provide the alarm clocks inside these Sidekick series.

Hi everyone,

There is none of att coverage better than tmobile, nor tmobile's coverage is better than att.

Depend on your location between strenghten coverage or weakness coverage.

You need look at Curve:

8310 running GPS and NO WIFI

8320 running WIFI and NO GPS ( however You can add GPS and recevier within).

So which one is right suit for you..

If you come over your friend's place have no strenghten coverage or poor coverage. Your firend has own wifi router at his/her house. the curve will turn egde to wifi while you can talk aim or email, web.

Like my own sample:

screenshotpsplogosn7.png

Notice " WIFI ICON ".

You are right about this but only different is price.

If you want blackberry and affordable price with limited benefit such as games, theme or something that depend on Carrier.

Its Sprint, 29.99 dollars.

I want to add about that Blackberry, I just got new one today and explore those new device compare than 8700. I like 8700 better but this new one is thin and seem already loss some weight ;)

You might want know something about that GPS that I have is Blackberry 8320 that doesn't have GPS but need other device to use GPS which is FREEDOM Keychain GPS.

Yes, I say keycain, I am going to buy and research alot positive about that device is tiny.

So want share with you about GPS, XBGMER :)

There is none of att coverage better than tmobile, nor tmobile's coverage is better than att.

You need look at Curve:

If you come over your friend's place have no strenghten coverage or poor coverage. Your firend has own wifi router at his/her house. the curve will turn egde to wifi while you can talk aim or email, web.

Like my own sample:

screenshotpsplogosn7.png

Notice " WIFI ICON ".

I have a sidekick lx with the sidekick plan but sometimes the phone is to much of a hassle to take to places. So i was thinking about buying a blackberry pearl to use on occasion when this happens. What im wonderng is, if i have the sidekick plan and use my sim card on the blackberry will i still get unlimited txting and mobile to mobile. I dun rlly care about the email

Are you talking abt transferring the SIM card back and forth between the two phones? If yes, then the answer to your question is "no". The Blackberry devices have separate plans. The Sidekick Unlimited Plan is only for Sidekicks. It you purchase a "Data Only" plan, then maybe, but you would have to ask a rep. I would honestly suggest upgrading to a Blackberry. While I really like the LX's keyboard better, the Blackberry does soooo much more. You won't want to go back to the LX!

Are you talking abt transferring the SIM card back and forth between the two phones? If yes, then the answer to your question is "no". The Blackberry devices have separate plans. The Sidekick Unlimited Plan is only for Sidekicks. It you purchase a "Data Only" plan, then maybe, but you would have to ask a rep. I would honestly suggest upgrading to a Blackberry. While I really like the LX's keyboard better, the Blackberry does soooo much more. You won't want to go back to the LX!

Ya, i had planned to transfer the simcard back and forth between the sidekick and the blackberry. The blackberrys look rlly nice, going to have to look into that. Thz!

via~8320~

I have a sidekick lx with the sidekick plan but sometimes the phone is to much of a hassle to take to places. So i was thinking about buying a blackberry pearl to use on occasion when this happens. What im wonderng is, if i have the sidekick plan and use my sim card on the blackberry will i still get unlimited txting and mobile to mobile. I dun rlly care about the email
you can use your sim as transfer from SK to BB. Bb will run the function like can call and text. Unfortunately You can't receive email, I'm or can't surf on internet(WEB). You have to purchase the data plan for BB. Because sk and bb have different servers system. Get it?

Did you know t-mobile have options datas, you can purchase email data only for 9 bucks each months. Its up to you.

Any questions?

Post here, I will answer! ;)

Not all of them, you have to set up a time to go off in the calendar on SK3 and all. They don't provide the alarm clocks inside these Sidekick series.
That's what I'm talking about. The calendar feature is the alarm clock. That's a good thing.

If you have to get up at 7 am every morning during weekdays, simply set the alarm to go off 5 minutes before 7:05 am for tomorrow... then set the repetition for weekdays.

If you don't want to get up during a particular weekday, simply turn off the vibrate mode and put it away. :)

I've used my pager as my personal alarm clock many many times. When I'm on the road and am tired, I'll pull over at a rest stop to sleep for a hour or two. I'll set my pager's alarm for that time, then leave it in my pocket so I can feel it. If I'm sitting on my recliner taking a nap, I'll do the same thing. Never fails me. :)

Hey I am sorry about old thread. Yeah my blackberry curve 8320 have GPS through google map. You have to go Google through your BB. You have to look at "Map" google and download. It's free. The location will tell you where you're at. I am using my BB when I was go somewhere like lost in place. I can find it through my BB location.

You need look at Curve:

Like my own sample:

screenshotpsplogosn7.png

Notice " WIFI ICON ".

I did go to T Mobile store. I looked around with Sidekick Lx. They don't have a WiFi. I bought Blackberry because it have Wifi and alarm clock. I don't use the voice mail because I can't hear.

I want to buy some game or Omni Source application for my BB. I really need the schedule and organize special than BB's. I wish BB have an AppleStore for application and programs.

I really want to have an Iphone but not right now. I want to wait until few years later. For example, It's new device for Iphone 2. I would get it. I think they need to use a keyboard so easily. I did play with Iphone for test. It's hard to click on keyboard and typing. It's pain in the ass. I want to wait until few years later.

I am a BIG fans of Apple!!!

I did go to T Mobile store. I looked around with Sidekick Lx. They don't have a WiFi. I bought Blackberry because it have Wifi and alarm clock. I don't use the voice mail because I can't hear.

I want to buy some game or Omni Source application for my BB. I really need the schedule and organize special than BB's. I wish BB have an AppleStore for application and programs.

I really want to have an Iphone but not right now. I want to wait until few years later. For example, It's new device for Iphone 2. I would get it. I think they need to use a keyboard so easily. I did play with Iphone for test. It's hard to click on keyboard and typing. It's pain in the ass. I want to wait until few years later.

I am a BIG fans of Apple!!!

iPhone 2 is equal to iPhone 3G, that released yesterday.

iPhone 2 is equal to iPhone 3G, that released yesterday.

Ohh yeah. My husband told me. That what he want. But we have to wait. Because we already have our both blackberry. He have Ipod apple and 1 ipod nano

Back