Sidekick 4G end of life

I agree, I was a SK 4g user myself. I do like Samsung Stratosphere. That is what I have right now. I kind of wish I had Droid 4 instead of Stratosphere, though.

Yeah, I know that Verizon is more money than T mobile, but I had this thought.

Would you want to spend $100 on a snowblower that blows snow really, really well or $75 on a snowblower that somewhat blows snow a little bit?

It was a no brainer. That is why I'm willing to pay more for Verizon.

I'm sure that there are other good phones from T mobile. I kind of thought that Double Play phone was sexy. Cool in an unique way.

I'm with you. I hate Blackberry with passion!!!

I'm a little miffed about this:

Death Comes For The Sidekick 4G – T-Mobile Hints At New Sidekicks In The Future

If they want me to shell out $100s for another phone after having this one for only two years they are nuts. I wish there where more QWERTY keyboard options out there. I don't like the Blackberry type keyboard. :mad:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to cough up that much either. I, too, also have a Sidekick 4G. It is a breeze to use the QWERTY keyboard and I'm not crazy about using the touch screen keyboard. But, I suppose we all gotta have to adapt to it one way or other, lol. I've had just about all kinds of sidekicks since they first introduced it with sidekick 1. If I remember right, Samsung used to have a phone that comes with qwerty keyboard (can't recall which one it was) - I used it as a loaner for like 2 days and hated it cuz the keyboard was tooo way small. Ugh!

Blackberry keyboard are awful and I dislike using it. I'm about to abandon the sidekick line after having been on it for so long. It's time for a change. :lol:

Would you want to spend $100 on a snowblower that blows snow really, really well or $75 on a snowblower that somewhat blows snow a little bit?!

It's not the amount of money for the phone rather the fact that I they are not going to update the current one. It's not like android 4.0 was not in the making when the phone came out! This is forcing people to buy new hardware instead of software. And, the keyboard goes with the hardware.

The only choice people have is to try and root the phone.

Currently, the battery life is so bad I have to charge everyday and sometimes don't even get a full day out of it. It needs a more efficient OS.

Well its an Android device now not like the previous Danger OS. they are only discontinuing the phone not the service that supports it. 2 years is a LOOOONG run for any mobile device nowadays. My Samsung Epic 4g has had an amazingly long production life of 4+ years now. Most devices get updated or replaced in a year or two.
Look at iPhone, it has a new version almost yearly or more yet the original devices still work on the system.

The iphone slideout keyboard case is a possible solution. It doesn't look like a great keyboard, but maybe there are other options.

I have the G2 and it has a nice QWERTY keyboard underneath. That was one of the main reasons why I got it when my Sidekick LX's service was about to end in May 2011. :)

Most smartphones these days, when it hits their one year standard mfg warranty, it's gone. Tech is moving too fast.

For the keyboard phones there are not much choices. I think in Android versions (excluding BB and Windows phones) there are only a few phones you can count on one hand, released every year.
The only continuous release has been the MOTOROLA DROID (droid 1-4) series, and the T-Mobile MyTouch Slides.
Everything else is left to chance or hope.

This is very true, and yes I have seen it gone way too fast.

Most smartphones these days, when it hits their one year standard mfg warranty, it's gone. Tech is moving too fast.

For the keyboard phones there are not much choices. I think in Android versions (excluding BB and Windows phones) there are only a few phones you can count on one hand, released every year.
The only continuous release has been the MOTOROLA DROID (droid 1-4) series, and the T-Mobile MyTouch Slides.
Everything else is left to chance or hope.

We left Tmobile when they pulled that crap and killed the SK I had just bought not even a year before, and then wanted me to pay full price for the Android version after being a customer for years. Went to Sprint and have Samsung Galaxy w/ Qwerty keyboard w/ data only coverage. Now with Apple's lawsuit, who knows? :roll: This phone is not as good as original Danger version SK, IMO, but it's OK. Will come up on end of 2 yr. contract next April. Don't know what will happen then. :-o

We left Tmobile when they pulled that crap and killed the SK I had just bought not even a year before, and then wanted me to pay full price for the Android version after being a customer for years. Went to Sprint and have Samsung Galaxy w/ Qwerty keyboard w/ data only coverage. Now with Apple's lawsuit, who knows? :roll: This phone is not as good as original Danger version SK, IMO, but it's OK. Will come up on end of 2 yr. contract next April. Don't know what will happen then. :-o
Who did you talk to when you had that problem?

Didn't T-Mobile offer a discount on another phone to make up for the cancellation of the Sidekick? I was offered a discount.

I left T-Mobile in 2008 because I didn't get any good signal and they didn't have 3G at time when I was customer.

Who did you talk to when you had that problem?

Didn't T-Mobile offer a discount on another phone to make up for the cancellation of the Sidekick? I was offered a discount.

The discount was for a new sidekick running Android. Not worth it.

Back