Should you be notified by police or sheriff if Tornado Siren goes off??

A combination of the local news channel and the WeatherBug finds me well informed.

It is the deaf person's responsibility to keep an eye on the weather (e.g., weather channel)...they will forewarn you if there's any upcoming watches of tornados, hurricanes, etc. Use common sense. A buddy system is a good idea...and having alerts on the SK, Blackberry, Cell phones, whatever...cool.

It is the deaf person's responsibility to keep an eye on the weather (e.g., weather channel)...they will forewarn you if there's any upcoming watches of tornados, hurricanes, etc. Use common sense. A buddy system is a good idea...and having alerts on the SK, Blackberry, Cell phones, whatever...cool.

I agree it is one's responsbility. I always follow Weather news. Sure I let buddies know if they are at work and is not near TV. I would let them know firsthand as I do care and want them to be safe.

Sometimes I have friends letting me know that they will not be home and wanted me to let them know if they have tornado warning in their area. So I do let them know to take cover for their safety. I didnt mind to do that. I was glad to watch the weather for them. :)

I agree it is one's responsbility. I always follow Weather news. Sure I let buddies know if they are at work and is not near TV. I would let them know firsthand as I do care and want them to be safe.

Sometimes I have friends letting me know that they will not be home and wanted me to let them know if they have tornado warning in their area. So I do let them know to take cover for their safety. I didnt mind to do that. I was glad to watch the weather for them. :)

Good ideas but still doesn't address the needs of an impending disaster when there is no communication infrastructure.

Good ideas but still doesn't address the needs of an impending disaster when there is no communication infrastructure.

If there is no communication infrastructure, then we're all pretty much up a shyye creek!:giggle:

well - you can tell neighbors (even though they live miles away) to call you (via txt). Neighbors living far away means this is rural area. I'm sure everybody knows everybody. Surely you can ask one of them to call you. If not.... well what can I say? move to urban area :o

What if they are not home? What if they already are evacuating? Or their phone doesn't work, or the TTY doesn't work, or they can't get a relay, or have already been killed, or are too busy trying to get other things in order, or they just simply forgot...

Yes, it would be great if a neighbor can remind you, but also a lot of reasons they might not be able to.

I'm just glad I do live in an urban area with a whole lot of people nearby that know I am here.

What if they are not home? What if they already are evacuating? Or their phone doesn't work, or the TTY doesn't work, or they can't get a relay, or have already been killed, or are too busy trying to get other things in order, or they just simply forgot...

Yes, it would be great if a neighbor can remind you, but also a lot of reasons they might not be able to.

I'm just glad I do live in an urban area with a whole lot of people nearby that know I am here.

I know this sound cold but.... you're pretty much sh*t out of your luck. Not everybody can be saved. if you live in area with high risk of natural disaster/hazard, then it's solely your responsibility to be equipped for it and to be aware of your surrounding.

If it is one's responsibility, then why have a siren? Hmmm?
What is wrong with an additional device to make the warning more 'equal' and fair?

Sure, you can watch the weather or have someone look out for you and inform you... but that type of system is not equal to the siren system, is it.

Luckily I have enough friends and family who will contact me somehow, as I don't even own a television and can't understand radio broadcasts.

What is wrong with an additional device to make the warning more 'equal' and fair?

Sure, you can watch the weather or have someone look out for you and inform you... but that type of system is not equal to the siren system, is it.

Luckily I have enough friends and family who will contact me somehow, as I don't even own a television and can't understand radio broadcasts.

The needs of many outweighs the needs of few.... said Spock. The chance is high that the disabled person (wheelchair, blind, deaf, etc.) has at least 1 person looking over him/her so it's not really a huge issue.... for now.

What disabled person needs to function normally is the use of technology. Unfortunately when the disaster strikes, all modern technology fails - especially communication infrastructure, electricity, etc. That's why the primitive technology, namely a simple siren, is the best tool available. The government are continuing to try their best to accommodate them. The population is getting older and there are more and more elders and sick people. Maybe there's a better tool later in few years.

For now - what would really help is a small team of brave, considerated volunteers to go to each disabled person's home and check.

The needs of many outweighs the needs of few.... said Spock. The chance is high that the disabled person (wheelchair, blind, deaf, etc.) has at least 1 person looking over him/her so it's not really a huge issue.... for now.

What disabled person needs to function normally is the use of technology. Unfortunately when the disaster strikes, all modern technology fails - especially communication infrastructure, electricity, etc. That's why the primitive technology, namely a simple siren, is the best tool available. The government are continuing to try their best to accommodate them. The population is getting older and there are more and more elders and sick people. Maybe there's a better tool later in few years.

For now - what would really help is a small team of brave, considerated volunteers to go to each disabled person's home and check.

Yeah, I can agree with that, just wasn't sure what you were trying to get across... almost felt like it was somehow my fault for being vision and hearing impaired...

I have a Tornado siren, so close by... It'll rattle the shit out of my storm windows.. cuz it so damned loud.. I can hear it in the house any-damn-where!

Guess I heard that sumbitch go off a couple times since I moved in this house, on March 1st.... Damned loud, that all deaf can hear it!

Sucker is about 100 yards to my southwest.. on top of a hill.... Geeez!

That's loud 'nough for me... but is it enough for ya?.....

I have a Tornado siren, so close by... It'll rattle the shit out of my storm windows.. cuz it so damned loud.. I can hear it in the house any-damn-where!

Guess I heard that sumbitch go off a couple times since I moved in this house, on March 1st.... Damned loud, that all deaf can hear it!

Sucker is about 100 yards to my southwest.. on top of a hill.... Geeez!

That's loud 'nough for me... but is it enough for ya?.....

It often isn't loud enough when I am in the house, especially if I am not paying attention. If I am outside, I can notice it more easily when the test goes off, but it takes time to realize what it is some times... I guess the one for my area is further away, or has more things blocking it.

It often isn't loud enough when I am in the house, especially if I am not paying attention. If I am outside, I can notice it more easily when the test goes off, but it takes time to realize what it is some times... I guess the one for my area is further away, or has more things blocking it.

Uh.. better notify the city, or county, and let 'em, know you need another one so it be closer to you.. Then you can really hear (perhaps feel it) so give it a shot... Maybe they'll give ya a break....:dunno2:

Yeah, I can agree with that, just wasn't sure what you were trying to get across... almost felt like it was somehow my fault for being vision and hearing impaired...

No no it's nobody's fault. I'm just saying not everybody can be saved and it's pretty much each one's own responsibility to establish redundancy protocols and to know the emergency procedures. Failing to do so is your own fault for your own demise. Although I live in highly-densed area where natural disaster is extremely unlikely to occur, I must assume everything. I must assume that my area will someday be hit by devastating hurricane and flood - due to global warming. NJ is the most flood-prone state in USA.

So I'm equipped with handful of gear for most scenarios... that was cuz I prepared for Y2K which never happened... :pissed: but it's still useful for most scenarios - emergency kits, emergency tools, etc. I know most routes to anywhere from my location. If my area was to be hit by category-5 hurricane, the most likely evacuation route is to go west to Pennsylvania which is about 1.5 hrs aways.

If your options are extremely limited due to your disability and location, then I suggest that you should move somewhere else where you can have better options. It is illogical to live in high-hazard area with very limited options when your life is on the line. If you can't move somewhere else, then you need to do some work for yourself. Come up with clever ideas or write letter to your mayor or councilman. Do whatever you gotta do to be better prepared.

Back