Should you be notified by police or sheriff if Tornado Siren goes off??

Blackpaws76

Reaction score
Do you think the police or sheriff should come to your house if tornado siren go off?? Should we go to police or sheriff department and let them know that we are deaf??

What if your neighbor is not home when it happen?? What would you do??

Today- I was just lucky that my neighbor was home at that time when a tornado siren went off!! My neighbor know that we are deaf. They are very friendly people! After that happened, it got me to think about what would happen if my neighbor is not home.

What you could do is talk with your neighbors and tell them that you're deaf, then ask them if they could come to warn you if a siren of any kind goes off.

My parent live 20 min away. Also my sister too. They are my buddy system. If they hear tornado warning near my area, They'll call or page me to let me know. One time, my sister called and she told me that the tornado is 1 miles from my home. It was F1 tornado. I didn't go down basment. I was just munching delicious baked chocolate chip cookies and standing by the opened sliding door observing ominiously silent yard w/ patch of fogs and lightening flashing like a strobe. I knew it is close by but didn't care tho. My entire family headed to basment and my wife tried to tell me get down to basment now!! lol. That was about 10 years ago..

Your neighbor, your relatives, or any of hearing family members will be your buddy system. Sheriff or Police officers are busy doing their job warn other or block traffic if Tornado sighted.

My teenage daughter listen and interprets us what was being said on the radio or TV. I have experienced with weather. If it were late afternoon or evening before sun goes down, I kept my eye on "green" clouds, hail, and wind. Or at night, keep eye on lightening. If it were flashing like strobe, and it's windy hard, hail happen, run to basment. Do not try that at home!! It's my risk tho.

Catty

haha catty - ya crazy bastard but sounds like what I'd do. When we had flood warning, I hopped onto my 4x4 and went cruising around. of course.... to my own stupidity, i got stuck in a flood and the firemen had to push me out. ha ha ha but it was fun. That was the mini-hurricane.... about 10+ years ago as well.

and plus - as for buddy system, you have neighbors on your left, right, and center. at least about 5 neighbors next to you so use them as well.

Not everyone has neighbors... some homes do not have anyone around for miles.

May not be the best solution, but what I recommend is an encoded broadcast system in addition to the siren, a device you can place in your home that will trigger a visual or tactile warning when it gets the broadcast signal.

It's not fail safe, but at least it is another thing to fall back on in emergency.

True. Also, during the day, many people are not home because they're at work.

The sirens don't necessairly work.

This past December 2-3rd, we had a rare hurricane warning during the storm and no one got the news until after the storm. Plus our communication infrastructure totally collapsed

try this - Emergency Email . . . . The Emergency Email Network ®. . . . . . . . . . . . NOW INCLUDED WITH the business continuity and disaster recovery resource on the web.

u can get a warning email from your county govt sources when the storm comes near your home or work.

a few days ago i watched on tv somehow EAS, cable's Emergency Alert System, popped up on black screen and warned me that tornado warning is activited somewhere around my home area so i ran to basement for some times. good enough. a tornado did hit the ground in that area - about 10 min driving from my home. Cherokee, North Fulton take major wallop during severe storms | ajc.com

i have some deaf friends living in KS and they get some kinds of free warning devices for tornado activites from the state govt.

emergency email would work assuming communication infrastructure is still in place

i have a cell phone and i do get alerts from the weather.com letting me know if there are warnings so its lifesaver for me and my family.

i would love to get the pager from the weather alert one that i can wear to bed so can wake me up cuz hate to bring my cell phone to bed with me as i do get texts all times from friends? waking up every hour or every other hours? grrrr..

i have a cell phone and i do get alerts from the weather.com letting me know if there are warnings so its lifesaver for me and my family.

i would love to get the pager from the weather alert one that i can wear to bed so can wake me up cuz hate to bring my cell phone to bed with me as i do get texts all times from friends? waking up every hour or every other hours? grrrr..

you could get another free cell phone dedicated for emergency purpose. it should be very cheap to open up another line

emergency email would work assuming communication infrastructure is still in place

Funny you mentioned this.....

Right before the storm, we got email notification from the NWS that we were under a high wind warning as we were expecting winds of 70-90 m.p.h. as well as high surf which is common in the winter season.

The winds started to pick up and it was not until 4 hours into the storm that we all lost power, Bonneville power station lost its transformers, Astoria-Megler bridge was closed (Hwy. 101 that crosses the Columbia River). We were shut off from the rest of the world. So we hunkered down.

While we were playing Scrabble and occasionally looking out the window, it crossed my mind that this is more than 70-90 m.p.h. winds.

We went to bed and while I was laying down and getting ready to blow out the candles, the walls of our house started to rattle. Now that was freaky!

The next morning the trees were going in every direction and it was way beyond 120 m.p.h.!

We remembered that we had a radio and turned it on. Much to dismay, all local radio stations were knocked out and the only ones we could pick up were news out of Seattle and Portland with both of them announcing that we were under a rare hurricane warning and then we lost radio communications from Seattle and Portland.

After the storm died down we learned that we had 128 m.p.h. winds in our town whereas at Cape 'D' (Disappointment) it clocked at 141 m.p.h. with gusts up to 162 m.p.h.

It took 4 days before telephone service, cell phones, cable, internet and electricity was restored.

Even if we want the police/sheriff to notify us in the event of an emergency, chances are likely that they won't be able to assist as they will be overwhelmed with emergencies in the county as well as trying to get through if roads are impassable.

There are not enough police officers to attend to every homes to warn them of the dangers ahead?

They would come AFTER the storm passed on and checked on all of the residents to make sure all are ok or need help due to injuries etc.

There are not enough police officers to attend to every homes to warn them of the dangers ahead?

They would come AFTER the storm passed on and checked on all of the residents to make sure all are ok or need help due to injuries etc.
I agree. It sounds a bit too demanding to expect the police to come to your house every time there's an emergency.

What they usually do is give everyone equal access... the emergency broadcast system. :)

May not be the best solution, but what I recommend is an encoded broadcast system in addition to the siren, a device you can place in your home that will trigger a visual or tactile warning when it gets the broadcast signal.

It's not fail safe, but at least it is another thing to fall back on in emergency.

well - you can tell neighbors (even though they live miles away) to call you (via txt). Neighbors living far away means this is rural area. I'm sure everybody knows everybody. Surely you can ask one of them to call you. If not.... well what can I say? move to urban area :o

this is a question I wonder about. I am new to Indiana but hear there are alot of tornadoes here.. I can hear them myself, but i wonder what will happen when my boys grow up. I would hope if i were not there, that a neighbor would tell them a tornado was on it's way... things like this scare me.

haha catty - ya crazy bastard but sounds like what I'd do. When we had flood warning, I hopped onto my 4x4 and went cruising around. of course.... to my own stupidity, i got stuck in a flood and the firemen had to push me out. ha ha ha but it was fun. That was the mini-hurricane.... about 10+ years ago as well.

and plus - as for buddy system, you have neighbors on your left, right, and center. at least about 5 neighbors next to you so use them as well.

Here in San Antonio we don't tolerate that kind of thing. :nono: If someone decides to risk driving through high water on a flooded road, and gets stuck...he will be rescued, but he will also receive a hefty $500 fine plus the hefty costs of the rescue. Plus, you ruin your car or truck.

If I and my fiance are out driving and get stuck in bad weather, and we come to a stretch of road covered in high water, we won't risk it. Instead, we simply turn around and go back the way we came from, or find a safe spot to park the truck, and simply stay put until the weather clears up and the water has gone down.

Back