Should we ask Alex for something

I already answered this . I do not see this in another forums I uses , what will you want next if people are married or divorce ??? This a ridiculousness request .

The only post here that is rudiculousNESS is yours. You've shared so much about your family, your divorce, your father, and EVERYBODY knows you are female.

Now you're suddenly worried about something under your avatar?

Like LoveBlue said, get over yourself.

(Oops had to correct last sentence. I incorrectly identified Botts, sorry.)

The only post here that is rudiculousNESS is yours. You've shared so much about your family, your divorce, your father, and EVERYBODY knows you are female.

Now you're suddenly worried about something under your avatar?

Like Botts said, get over yourself.

I think Love Blue said it, but I am happy to take the credit! :lol:

Well, my argument is, in real life you know immediately whether you talk to a man or a woman because it's obvious, you do not need to ask,
you just see or hear
(for if you are blind you recognize gender by voice) for yourself.

And this is very helpful when addressing somebody.
But on the forums it's impossible, and sometimes it is hard or even awkward while discussing things because
you don't know how to address the person you talk to,
and particularly awkward if you, for example, happen to get liking to someone, and don't want to offend that person by admitting
you don't know nor can't figure out her or his gender?
Also, what if you thought you made friends with a woman with whom you talk periods, boobs, orgasms etc but it turns out to be a man!
how embarrassing! :Oops:

Next- nobody in real life know by simply looking at someone if that person is married or not. sometimes yes, if wearing a band, but not everybody does.
Yet nobody is outright asking "Hello, my name is Bob, Eve, are you married?" - because is bad manners, it's not your business!, you just don't do it.
Unless after a while you get to be a friend with that person, then you maybe may ask. depends on circumstances.

The same rules apply to forums. It's OK and even helpful to know one's gender but nothing more beside that - no personal matter questions, period.

Fuzzy

Wrong ! I saw this person back and they had beautiful long white and
I was going to tell the 'woman' I liked hair , but when the person turned around it was 'man' with beautiful long white hair. And I had seen people I was not sure what gender they were b/c of their haircut and clothes . I could not tell if was a man trying to look like a woman or the other way around.

All this b/c someone was called a 'dude' . . :roll:

I don't think this is silly request... it's natural and harmless to be curious on who you are talking to on the other side of the screen. Some people put some info on their profile some prefer private.

It's hard to tell by the username whether this person is male or female. You can always ask and this person will tell you if he/she wants to. :)

How is Fuzzy's post wrong?

Her statement is pretty much true. :)

Wrong ! I saw this person back and they had beautiful long white and
I was going to tell the 'woman' I liked hair , but when the person turned around it was 'man' with beautiful long white hair. And I had seen people I was not sure what gender they were b/c of their haircut and clothes . I could not tell if was a man trying to look like a woman or the other way around.

All this b/c someone was called a 'dude' . . :roll:

I don't think this is silly request... it's natural and harmless to be curious on who you are talking to on the other side of the screen. Some people put some info on their profile some prefer private.

It's hard to tell by the username whether this person is male or female. You can always ask and this person will tell you if he/she wants to. :)

That is what I said that too , you can PM someone and ask this question , I am fine with that and I had gotten PM asking me this. I really don't think you need to put this out front just send the person a PM . Sending a PM is not hard to do.

You can post or send a PM... either way works. Nothing wrong to post and ask if the person you're responding to is male or female. It's very simple question.

That is what I said that too , you can PM someone and ask this question , I am fine with that and I had gotten PM asking me this. I really don't think you need to put this out front just send the person a PM .

That is what I said that too , you can PM someone and ask this question , I am fine with that and I had gotten PM asking me this. I really don't think you need to put this out front just send the person a PM . Sending a PM is not hard to do.

If it is a new person they do have to have a certain amount of posts, so sometimes it isn't easy to PM someone.

If it is a new person they do have to have a certain amount of posts, so sometimes it isn't easy to PM someone.

And why should we have to go to the trouble of PMing if the info was right there for us.

Again, it can be 3 things, Male, Female, "Not saying". I don't think anyone should be forced to tell.

Most new people been posting what gender they're . And some people may not want to give this info out. I had posted a number of times I am a female
and I still had people thinking I was a male . And 'dude' can me used to address a male or female , which was how this whole got started . And this is why I feel the whole thing is being too much of a deal of.

Most new people been posting what gender they're . And some people may not want to give this info out. I had posted a number of times I am a female
and I still had people thinking I was a male . And 'dude' can me used to address a male or female , which was how this whole got started . And this is why I feel the whole thing is being too much of a deal of.

I agree, enough of this, I'm off to watch a movie!

This topic has been brought up before in years past when I did a recent foray into AD's threads-- so yep it was considered back then too-

http://www.alldeaf.com/showpost.php?p=1522852&postcount=9

Most forums I am on, the admin does have the option of turning the feature on. I have seen small dots, gender symbol or simply M/F. If I recall many also do not make it a mandatory field. I know one forum that does require your gender AND real name though most do first name and last initial.. can imagine how someone would feel on THAT forum...*ahem*.

Interestingly one forum I go to has country: (whatever country flag) as an option for users.

Having a little notation is easier than a PM. Most people might think oh I want to ask but then forget to.. much easier to just glance and say "oh okay cool". There's nothing wrong with PMs or a post but I'm guessing some people may feel a little weirded out in doing that.

I don't think it's too much of a deal. Seems to me that screaming no and calling other people's opinions 'ridiculous' and 'wrong' is making far more a deal out of the conversation than the others are.

Feel free to quote...

How is Fuzzy's post wrong?

Her statement is pretty much true. :)

I had already answered the part I disagree with ! You can't always tell what gender a person is today just by looking at them . There is a guy in my city that wear women skirts , if I was to see him from the back I would think he was a 'woman' . It's harder to tell what some people gender is just by looking at them in my city.

But we're not talking about real life here, the point is the forum and internet world that you can't see someone else on the other side of the screen. The only way to find out is the profile, some have their own pic in profile or avatar.

Real life and internet world is totally different. You don't really know their body and faces until you meet them in person.

I had already answered the part I disagree with ! You can't always tell what gender a person is today just by looking at them . There is a guy in my city that wear women skirts , if I was to see him from the back I would think he was a 'woman' . It's harder to tell what some people gender is just by looking at them in my city.

But we're not talking about real life here, the point is the forum and internet world that you can't see someone else on the other side of the screen. The only way to find out is the profile, some have their own pic in profile or avatar.

Real life and internet world is totally different. You don't really know their body and faces until you meet them in person.

"Originally Posted by Audiofuzzy View Post
Well, my argument is, in real life you know immediately whether you talk to a man or a woman because it's obvious, you do not need to ask,
you just see or hear
(for if you are blind you recognize gender by voice) for yourself."

I was responding to this part of " Audiofuzzy " post! Which talked about
"real life " situations. So I was not wrong in my answer !!!!!

I see no harm in identifying one's gender, what have you got to hide? It does not have the same personal identifying reference like that of a social security number, etc so it is a reasonable request in my opinion.

Back