Should there be accommodations made in a loud machine shop?

Should I pull out of this career field?

• Yes, you should not be doing this.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, you're fine.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
Suggest that you re-read the post you made and the reply I made to it. I am trying to make that easy by quoting them below.

My response was to what came through to me as you saying that a deaf person in such a job does not need to hear. My reminder was that the OP is still in school and I think would need to communicate more during that than later. I did not refer to OSHA or dispute that it applies in both situations.

Yes the OP stated that he was still in school.. BUT that is not what his question was about. His question was about what the environment is or would be like AFTER he finishes school and is IN the workplace... and how that would affect his already damaged hearing (HOH)... he's not worried about the communication in the classroom.

IM000786.JPG
Suggest that you re-read the post you made and the reply I made to it. I am trying to make that easy by quoting them below.

My response was to what came through to me as you saying that a deaf person in such a job does not need to hear. My reminder was that the OP is still in school and I think would need to communicate more during that than later. I did not refer to OSHA or dispute that it applies in both situations.
I took industrial tech, wood tech and shop classes... ALL required hearing protection as soon as you walked in the door, machines running or not.

Wearing hearing protection is no different than being deaf other than a hearie can still hear somewhat... so its irrelevant to not wear hearing protection, then complain that youre losing your hearing being careless . plain and simple.
Everyone is acting like they cant speak up or yell... Go to a construction zone, an auto plant....EVERYONE YELLS !

Face the fact or quit whining, you are being prepared for a workforce in the industry... either you love it or hate it, in other words work it or quit.

MVC-001S.JPG Well, If OSHA caught this guy that day..... This was a co worker on my crew, Nope... I wasnt doing this, they didnt pay me enough.

Yeah, He was tied off to a 2x4 that was just laid across a window opening.... nice at 3 stories up...MVC-006S.JPG MVC-003S.JPG MVC-005S.JPG

OP, what did you expect? Machines should be quiet? OSHA can't do anything about it but it requires a company to provide earplugs. USPS is one of them. Schools are included.

Last edited:
Some Moms even wear them and they don't even get paid to do that job.

Son~
Good for you to pick the field of manufacturing. Being an CNC operator or doing CAD/CAM programs to cite a few examples is a good & well paying job/career.
I used to run paper converting machinery & the "noise" was at 100 decibels....Everybody was required to wear Osha safety approved ear plugs.
Again, continue to advance in this profession & get as many Certs-

Son~
Good for you to pick the field of manufacturing. Being an CNC operator or doing CAD/CAM programs to cite a few examples is a good & well paying job/career.
I used to run paper converting machinery & the "noise" was at 100 decibels....Everybody was required to wear Osha safety approved ear plugs.
Again, continue to advance in this profession & get as many Certs-
Thats all behind me now. I loved working with machinery, designing and modifying them was awesome.

Back