should i tell my boss?

mypjpants

Reaction score
I recently got a job that requires i answer the phone every so often, and i did let my boss know that im hard of hearing, but i told him that it wouldnt hinder me in the job in any way. should i tell my boss that i cant really answer the phones? im afraid ill get fired despite the americans with disabilities act

I want to ask why you took a job that requires you to talk on the phone...and then tell your boss that you could talk on the phone...if in fact you can't talk on the phone. I think the problem isn't that you have issues with the phone, but that you specifically indicated that it wouldn't be an issue.

How much of the phone aspect is crucial to your job?

If I was your boss, I'd be pretty pissed that you lied to me. If you can't talk on the phone then their gonna figure that or at some point.

You have to specify what you are capable of doing and telling your boss about any accomodations you’ll need. Spare no feelings. It makes no sense to deal with this at a later time and risk any consequences for not being truthful about your abilities.

I want to ask why you took a job that requires you to talk on the phone...and then tell your boss that you could talk on the phone...if in fact you can't talk on the phone. I think the problem isn't that you have issues with the phone, but that you specifically indicated that it wouldn't be an issue.

How much of the phone aspect is crucial to your job?
i wasnt aware i was required to talk on the phone when i took the job and told him that my disability wouldnt be a hindrance. its kinda important but i could probably get away with not using it a whole bunch, or using speaker phone. it was my bad that i didn't realise but he didnt exactly ask me if i could answer a phone or not after i told him i was hard of hearing so theres no way i could have known.

In your first post it seems like you knew you'd have to answer the phones every so often and took the job anyway. In this last post, you say you didn't know you'd have to answer the phones at all. Which one is it? I'm confused. What kind of job do you have anyway?

In your first post it seems like you knew you'd have to answer the phones every so often and took the job anyway. In this last post, you say you didn't know you'd have to answer the phones at all. Which one is it? I'm confused. What kind of job do you have anyway?
I didn't mean to make it seem like I did know, sorry. But truly I didn't. I work at gamestop and we get a lot of calls from customers asking about games and it happens pretty often.

Not to mention, I've been using my phone on speaker for a very long time to answer phone calls so I can hear it better, and I wasn't aware my hearing has degraded enough that I can't answer the phone like normal.

If your hearing aids are Bluetooth compatible you should get a streamer for phone calls. Talk to your audiologist - and your boss of course.

Many deaf employers use videophone to make vital calls, some even make calls for 8 hours everyday. Maybe you can ask your boss to install videophone at your work so that way you can receive/make calls with no issues. How fluent is your ASL?

Many deaf employers use videophone to make vital calls, some even make calls for 8 hours everyday. Maybe you can ask your boss to install videophone at your work so that way you can receive/make calls with no issues. How fluent is your ASL?
I've been learning for 4 years and I'm better at conversational asl, but that would be the perfect tone for my workplace so I'll definitely see if my employer can do that! Not sure if the company will be happy about it though.

I've been learning for 4 years and I'm better at conversational asl, but that would be the perfect tone for my workplace so I'll definitely see if my employer can do that! Not sure if the company will be happy about it though.
Do you have a smartphone? Most smartphone comes with sorenson ntouch videophone or convo videophone, or purple videophone APPS, and they are free. Maybe you can register phone number for customers to make a direct call to your videophone app in your smartphone.

This is example;

Do you have a smartphone? Most smartphone comes with sorenson ntouch videophone or convo videophone, or purple videophone APPS, and they are free. Maybe you can register phone number for customers to make a direct call to your videophone app in your smartphone.

This is example;

Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm fairly sure that my boss wouldn't like that. Not to mention if I did that customers would be calling me on my day off and I'm only a seasonal so I don't work very much.

1) Boss won't fired any disabled workers as They know about Tax refund money for disabled workers. If deaf workers quit or leave. Boss will unhappy about lose Tax refund money anymore.

2) Some Bosses does not know about Tax Refund money for disabled workers. They are greedy, rudeness as They can fired them without reasons.

Maybe Captel or something like that would work? What ya'll think?

This is example;

?? They do? My Galaxy s8 didn't have any of those apps already on the phone- you can download them from the App store though (iTunes/App Store for Apple, GooglePlay for android).

You mean Disabled Access Credit IRS Form 8826?
There no tax refund money for hiring disabled workers

1) Boss won't fired any disabled workers as They know about Tax refund money for disabled workers. If deaf workers quit or leave. Boss will unhappy about lose Tax refund money anymore.

2) Some Bosses does not know about Tax Refund money for disabled workers. They are greedy, rudeness as They can fired them without reasons.

Can you sign?

I recently got a job that requires i answer the phone every so often, and i did let my boss know that im hard of hearing, but i told him that it wouldnt hinder me in the job in any way. should i tell my boss that i cant really answer the phones? im afraid ill get fired despite the americans with disabilities act

Back