Should I get CI or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
deafdyke said:
Quick question for those of you who've gotten the CI and identify as Deaf...do you still feel pretty much accepted by your local Deaf community in spite of the CI? Have you noticed changing attitudes towards the CI?

Mine is already accept long time ago because there are alot of CI on Long Island.. I am relieved that they accept me being deaf, not as a "hearie". Deaf friends on Long Island emailed me or im me to ask me how was the surgery or said "I heard ya have ci. congrats." Or "Are you happy with ci?" alot of questions. I was overwhelmed and still is. I have to get used to it. ;)

So in New York they are OK with implants? I've noticed Boston beginning to accept them too....I think it's just a matter of time til they are pretty much accepted as a part of Deaf culture everywhere just like hearing aids are.

deafdyke said:
So in New York they are OK with implants? I've noticed Boston beginning to accept them too....I think it's just a matter of time til they are pretty much accepted as a part of Deaf culture everywhere just like hearing aids are.

Yes, they are okay with it. They knew that CI still hang out with their deaf friends. I only knew two or three people aren't involved with Deaf world anymore. They want to be "Hearie". I knew 2 of them, I grew up with them and they decided that deaf world aren't for them. They lost alot of deaf friends. As for me, I knew myself that I couldn't lose my deaf friends. I cannot. I have a root of Deaf culture and more. Why should I give it up for what reason? Deaf world/culture are my life. I cannot picture myself leaving Deaf world for hearing. I have both world which is good enough for me. I cannot choice which one to stay with. If ya know what I mean.

I have both world which is good enough for me. I cannot choice which one to stay with. If ya know what I mean.
Yes, I do know what you mean since I am hoh myself. I found a really cool quote by Anne Bolanger"(a hoh woman) I don't fit in the hearing world 100% but some deaf people say I don't belong in the Deaf world b/c I can hear and talk somewhat. Although I may not fit 100% in either world, I am finding a place for myself in both worlds."
I remember a guy on another messageboard once said that his girlfriend said that if she had the choice she wouldn't choose to be hearing or deaf. Instead she would chose to be hard of hearing so she could get the best of both worlds!

Save your money, Don't get a CI!!

Don't get an CI!!
Its not worth it.
Save your money for something you really need.
Not a CI!!!
CI's are very expensive, and sign language(ASL) is free!!!
Let the deaf be deaf!!
Lets ban CI's!!
Margie
Dir. of Communication Serivces
OCDAC

You know Margie, I already report on you. Its really biased for what you did. I am tired of your attitude. HOW DARE YOU PM ME!!!!!!! I dont like the way you said it abt my deaf friends think of me as a "FREAK" GOD DAMN IT!!!! THEY DONT LOOK AT ME AS A FREAK!!!! BACK OFF AND LEAVE CI PEOPLE ALONE!!! GOD!!!! :mad2: :mad2:

Margie said:
Don't get an CI!!
Its not worth it.
Save your money for something you really need.
Not a CI!!!
CI's are very expensive, and sign language(ASL) is free!!!
Let the deaf be deaf!!
Lets ban CI's!!
Margie
Dir. of Communication Serivces
OCDAC
I find it rather curious that you claim to be a director of "communication services" and yet you slam people who are trying to increase their communication options.

Sign language is free but interpreting services are not. I am sorry but it almost seems like you are afraid that CIs might put you out of business.

I hope you don't display such a biased attitude toward deaf consumers with CIs when you interpret for them.

Margie, what about hearing aids? There are a signifcent percentage of dhh kids and people who are functionally hoh with hearing aids. Why do you feel so threatened by CIs? I don't understand why some Deafies are anti-CI, but yet are OK with hearing aids. Would your reaction be the same if someone posted about other types of hearing help technology? Why aren't Deaf people agaisnt the Bone Anchored Hearing Aid? (a type of implant for conductive losses that includes surgery) Why aren't Deafies against Auditory Brainstem Implants? Why aren't Deafies against canalplasties? (an operation for conductive deafness which if sucessful, means that the person is 100% hearing with NO dependance on technology. Look I think in some cases the CI is a little overhyped, but I still think it should be an option for some people.
Let the deaf be deaf!!
When the CI is off, the person is still deaf. Even with it on, the degree of help varies tremendously. Some people still need 'terps even with it on! Matter of fact, I did read somewhere that a large percentage of so-called "oral" implantees still utilize a 'terp like in an educational setting!
Lets ban CI's!!
I have a better suggestion....Let's ban Margie! BTW methinks that she's a troll just trying to stir things up.

deafdyke said:
I have a better suggestion....Let's ban Margie! BTW me thinks that she's a troll just trying to stir things up.

I have to agree with you. She called me a FREAK!! That's hurt!!!! First time in my life, a deaf person called me a FREAK! Oh wait, my mistake, she thought of me as a FREAK. It's time for her to go! sigh

Last edited:
ITS A WONDER AND I MEAN DAYUM WONDER I HAD TO PULL OVER WHEN I GOT THE IM FROM LINACA AND I DO NOT BLAME HER FOR FILING A REPORT MAYBE ITS TIME FOR U TO SHUT UR TRAP AND LEAVE THE DEAFIES AND CIers ALONE! CAPISE? THANK U~!

u need to respect poeple and all u do is BASH so thats a voilation so meaning, that's a BYEBYE time! yr azz is outta here!

This is for one of the poster: Why Do All Caps Make Me Look Like A Moron?

It is so sad that some people choosing not to respect one's choice of cochlear implants. Why bother to respond to the rather-annoying poster, she probably won't hush. Send Alex or one of his Moderator messages, maybe they'll do something but there is no need to make it a big deal in this board! :)

Have a nice day!

Brian

Mod Note:

Thread closed until further review. :locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back