Should I get CI or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For CI stuff, they still have to buy batteries and replace hearing aid moulds.

I just wanted to say that not every CI person uses an earmold to their CI BTE. Mostly children do use them. Most adults don't need it, but some people like it for security reasons, though it really stays on rather well without it.

I also wanted to say that how often you replace things for CI varies from person to person. Some people supplies last a long time before needing replacements. Batteries are approved once a year by insurance if they are from Clarion, and the other ones well, you'll need to buy the 675 batteries which nothing is wrong with it either. Just differences. I don't think that they are enough to drive you nuts at all. At least not to me.

I think it depends on your outlook if you mind or don't mind doing these things. I mean, we have to shower daily and dress up daily. Sometimes we'd rather do nothing, but we have to, right? That's my thought.

Last edited:
HKG, I am cynical b/c our health care system is about PROFIT. Here we have the government blocking access to cheaper drugs from Canada simply b/c the health care giants are afraid that it will eat into their profits. That is a big reason why CIs are covered by most insurance companies whereas hearing aids are not. (95% of hearing losses can be aided into the speech ranges)
I also wanted to say that how often you replace things for CI varies from person to person. Some people supplies last a long time before needing replacements. Batteries are approved once a year by insurance if they are from Clarion, and the other ones well, you'll need to buy the 675 batteries which nothing is wrong with it either. Just differences. I don't think that they are enough to drive you nuts at all. At least not to me.
Good point....the CI probaly costs less in terms of out of pocket costs then do hearing aids.

That's interesting.

A few days ago, I met a deaf young man around 30's and he and his wife are thinking about getting CI. At a hospital meeting with a group of deaf people to learn about the CI, he was surprised to learn that 99 percent of CI operations were successful. I forgot to ask him where he attended the meeting, but he lives near Kansas city. That's all I know about.

I personally rather to have the regeneration hearing, but it is impossible because it takes so long to complete the process from FDA's approval like another 10 years. So, it would better off to get CI and perhaps you could get regeneration hearing later - who knows. Many deafies said that they cannot have CI if they are very profound deaf. It turned out that it is not true. ...It is not easy for most deafies to think about because of the hospital cost - a big rip-off. I wish that there is another way around it for a better price. Perhaps, you could go to Canada or other country for a better price.

Excuse me - I do not have CI due my heart condition and takes coumadin. My health looks fine. (Coumadin is a blood thinner. Actually, the coumadin used to poison on rats in the old days. What a weirdo.) I am just wearing damn lousy Oticon hearing aids. I think that a Widex is better because I noticed a few of them wear that brand and they hear very well even they are profound deaf. Of course, CI is far better than any hearing aids.

Last edited:
he was surprised to learn that 99 percent of CI operations were successful
Well it depends on what you mean by "sucessful"
Not everyone hears in the speech range with CI....even over at Hearing Exchange they admit that what's sucessful for one person might not be "sucessful" for another person. Like some Deaf people are now getting them, but can only hear enviromental sounds with the implant. That is sucess for them, but it wouldn't be sucess for someone who heard quite a bit of the speech range with hearing aids.
Many deafies said that they cannot have CI if they are very profound deaf. It turned out that it is not true. ...It is not easy for most deafies to think about because of the hospital cost - a big rip-off. I wish that there is another way around it for a better price. Perhaps, you could go to Canada or other country for a better price.
Well it depends. If they are totally deaf due to a missing coachla they aren't eligable for a CI. Also if they hear really well with hearing aids, they aren't eligable for CI.
I am just wearing damn lousy Oticon hearing aids. I think that a Widex is better because I noticed a few of them wear that brand and they hear very well even they are profound deaf. Of course, CI is far better than any hearing aids.
I thought that Oticons were a GOOD brand? I think everyone has to experiment to find the best brand for them. Some people may hear really well with old-fashioned technology (I still wear analogs which RULE!) but others may hear better with digitals and so on.

Hi DarkAngel,

Do what is best for you only, don't worry about what others may think of you once you get a CI....If I was young as you are, I would get one too! ;)

No, don't get the implant!

The implant is STUIPD!!!
Don't get the CI darkangel.
Its not worth it!!
Let the deaf, be deaf!!
And its very expenisve!!!
Margie
Dir. of Communation Services
OCDAC

Margie said:
The implant is STUIPD!!!
Its not worth it!!
Let the deaf, be deaf!!
Margie
OCDAC

Excuse me, it's the person's decision, not YOURS. You're not that person, are you? You're not that person who's deciding on whether to get a CI or not. Please don't go around ordering people not to get a CI just because YOU are against CI's.
Thank you.

BTW, I have a CI myself and it was paid for by the government and I paid NOTHING.
It's none of your business if someone else wants to get a CI -- ok?

:werd: purple im also agreeing with u don't order people around like that just cuz u dont like it this purple here has been my friend for 20 yrs she knows im not crazy abt CIs but i respect her decsions thats the important thing respect not being negtive abt it u may not like it but dont belittle them!

Margie said:
The implant is STUIPD!!!
Its not worth it!!
Let the deaf, be deaf!!
Margie
OCDAC

Margie.. I cant think of a reason why i should listen to you, your word and attitude does not impress me, and i dont listen to people who doesnt impress me. thank you for your opinion neway, but no need to go out of order.

darkangel8603 said:
Margie.. I cant think of a reason why i should listen to you, your word and attitude does not impress me, and i dont listen to people who doesnt impress me. thank you for your opinion neway, but no need to go out of order.

Good, I am glad you didnt listen to this person. It is your decision, and your body. I got mine July 15th. If any of my friends get upset that I have one. I'll tell them screw them because Ive made a decision. I wanted one then I got it. That's it. Hey, I support you 110% if you have one or not. Good luck :)

deafdyke, 99 percent of those people do hear through the speech range. Their hearing is up to mild. The problem is that they cannot decode speech sounds into speech.

Also, if you do very well with hearing aids...no, you cannot get a CI and that depends on the percentage criteria in CI evaluation. I believe it's around 40-50 percent on their speech test. I did benefit receive some benefits from hearing aids to be able to speak and hear other environmental sounds. There are people who said they benefitted from hearing aids, but have received a CI to hear more. In the past, you have to have had zero benefit from hearing aids or hear nothing at all to receive a CI. it's not true anymore.

Lianca said:
Good, I am glad you didnt listen to this person. It is your decision, and your body. I got mine July 15th. If any of my friends get upset that I have one. I'll tell them screw them because Ive made a decision. I wanted one then I got it. That's it. Hey, I support you 110% if you have one or not. Good luck :)
hey lianca IM THUD and u know what u got my respect cuz yr right its yr body no one else's and i have every respect for you! Be happy abt what u did and dont worry abt others :)

javapride said:
hey lianca IM THUD and u know what u got my respect cuz yr right its yr body no one else's and i have every respect for you! Be happy abt what u did and dont worry abt others :)

Thanks Java :) I wrote abt the day I got C.I. Go there and read what I did that day. It is at "CI's...for those who have gotten them.." forum. If you want to PM. I'll be happy to talk more.. ;)

Last edited:
Gotta say I am VERY impressed about the fact that there's only been one negative post about CI here!!!! darkangel...it does seem like a lot less people are against CI. I gotta say...even two or three years ago, this thread would have been FILLED with anti-CIers. Tell you what.....maybe you should ask some of the well-known deafies in your area and see what they think. Maybe also ask the opinon of your teacher and others who you respect. I sometimes advise that potential implantees go see a counselor/psycologist to talk out WHY they want an implant. (ie to make sure that they aren't seeking a "cure" or seeking ameliratation to not being well adjusted with their hearing loss) But you do sound like you're very well emoitonally adjusted!
99 percent of those people do hear through the speech range. Their hearing is up to mild. The problem is that they cannot decode speech sounds into speech.
Really? Then how come there are still many implantee kids who can only hear enough to commuicate via TC? Remember pediatric implantees are STILL evenly divided between TCers and orals even with the "new" implants.
I'm highly skeptical that a CI can perform so well. Even over at HearingExchange they say that implant performance varies widely. Not everyone achieves mild listening levels. Some do....but even with the implant only about 30% of deaf kids are orally educated (that is only about a 20% increase....even back in the old days kids were orally educated....and there were oral sucesses back then!) I wouldn't be surprised if that 99% stat was given for the good hearing aid user population. (the population that wasn't eligable for CI even a few years ago) With them, the CI is simply turning up the volumne...However, the pedatric population that got little to no benifit from hearing aids...their benifit has been very mixed. Some of them achived mild hearing levels.....but most of their hearing levels were all across the board!

I did not say that CI people perform like a mild hearing loss person. I am saying that their hearing level will go up to mild, but if the CI is a failure or they can "only" hear environmental sounds, then it means that they just cannot decipher speech sounds in order to make it useful or progressful. The few do not make sense out of the sounds speech or environmental of the CI at all. They may not tell the difference between a doorbell and the phone ringing. I hear at a mild level, but I do not perform as one with a natural mild hearing loss.

The TC and oral communication is a choice parents made for their child. I am not sure it has anything to do with how "well" they hear.

A pure hearie opinion

I've read about CI for a long time and there are arguments against it that I don't understand.

To me, TV has done a lot to ruin the idea of reading or chatting. So in that regard I can understand how someone can feel that CI can "ruin" Deaf culture.

Also, sometimes when I'm in a dark room, the little I can see is so much of a distraction that I close my eyes to find my way around. This would make sense on why, if CI doesn't guarantee reasonable amount of sounds.

What I haven't heard, though, are any stories from some who go CI and regretted it. Surgical side effects aside, has anyone been "hurt" due to suddenly being able to hear?

The stories I hear are too much like those of fear of change.

Now, before anyone calls me a Deaf basher. Note that I am on this site BECAUSE I'm learning ASL and have full use of my ears. I use ASL everyday and often with hearing friends.

It's wonderful that ASL is a full language, and it's wonderful that there is a unique Deaf culture, but so many of those against CI seem to be about isolation and not "mixing" with different people.

So I'd like to know why someone deaf would prefer to stay that way if given the choice. What is it that the Deaf feel a "hearie" would not understand about being deaf. Is it explainable or is it an unbridgeable rift?

-John

Hi john, I understand where you are coming from. It is a hard decision, but it is not black and white about the problem in the Deaf Community. I believe they are only excuses as they are endless. They are just scared of the unknown. We know that the CI works most of the time and in its own success for each people. Worrying about the little problems out there is just silly. Life is a risk and we are allowed to have choices and changes. I have no problem with those very happy being deaf, but I do not like that they bash us for our different choices. It is unecessary.

What is it that the Deaf feel a "hearie" would not understand about being deaf. Is it explainable or is it an unbridgeable rift?
John, I think that some Deaf Militants feel that those of us who are hard of hearing don't really belong in Deaf culture b/c according to some people we're more hearing then deaf. Yet there are a lot of people with traditional hoh losses (mild moderate and even unilateral losses) who are involved in Deaf culture. I don't understand those "deafer then thou" people. Hey....there are now hearing people who use ASL as a primary language due to things like apraxia and tracheostomies.
HKG, the fact of the matter is, that MOST parents do not set out to Sign. Some do Sign (and I do applaud them!) but the majority of TCers and Signers didn't wilfully choose to Sign. Do a bit of research...and you'll see.

Hearies are stubborn too

I think the reverse situation that I've seen is parent who don't allow their kids to use ASL because it intimidates them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back