Should I fight for an interpreter?

CSign

Reaction score
My son is mainstreamed full time, with an interpreter for the duration of the school day. Last year, I requested use of his FM in his extracurricular activities. District initially said no, which I was prepared for and provided them with relevant Ed codes. It was a challenge, but I finally got them to agree to it.

We had part one of his two part IEP, at which I requested an interpreter for some of his extracurricular activities. The district said they, " aren't obligated to provide one outside school hours" which isn't true. However, it will be a fight to get them to agree to it.

I know how I feel (he needs the terp, I don't want him missing pieces of what's going on), but a lot of people are giving me flack for it. He has decent residual hearing, but a severe hearing loss nonetheless.

Do you guys think I should fight for it, or let it go? I'm definitely leaning more towards fighting for his right to a terp, but having others perspective would be helpful for me to make the final determination.

I normally wouldn't answer your questions because you seem to argue everything people say here.

But hey, that's only from a guy who would just send his kid off to an ASL occupied Deaf school where these problems won't be of any issue.

I normally wouldn't answer your questions because you seem to argue everything people say here.

But hey, that's only from a guy who would just send his kid off to an ASL occupied Deaf school where these problems won't be of any issue.

So your daughter will never participate in any extracurricular activities with hearing peers? Thanks for the insight.

For the record PFH, I'm not that excited about the fact that he's mainstreamed. There are no other placement options for him. So rather than tell me your daughter would never be in that position, why don't you tell me what you would do if she were.

Also, I don't fight with what everyone says. I express my thoughts, just like everyone else on this public forum.

Now it starts......................

No, I'm being realistic. Are you saying your daughter will never participate in activities with hearing peers? I kind of doubt that, as she will encounter many hearing people in her life journey. I would also imagine that at some point she probably will want to do something that is outside of her school.

I posted this question in hopes that responses people give will give me a more solid position either way.

No, I'm being realistic. Are you saying your daughter will never participate in activities with hearing peers? I kind of doubt that, as she will encounter many hearing people in her life journey. I would also imagine that at some point she probably will want to do something that is outside of her school.

I posted this question in hopes that responses people give will give me a more solid position either way.

You dun' pissed me off...

Honestly... This post is so fucking stupid it doesn't even merit a discussion, much less you even answered your own question here...

If you want your child to be able to access the hearing world as it is now, what do you do? Get a fkin' interpreter.

Ain't nothing worse than a kid wandering around while wondering what the other kids are saying, thinking, doing, etc and their parents are like "youre doing good, youre doing good." That feels terrible because as a kid you know you are capable of better and its not happening.

Do you guys think I should fight for it, or let it go? I'm definitely leaning more towards fighting for his right to a terp, but having others perspective would be helpful for me to make the final determination.

Seriously? You're asking us whether or not to fight for it? This is your son! It's AUTOMATICALLY non-issue to me when it comes to my children (well in the future). I don't take no for an answer and even if I lose, I don't go down without a good dang fight. My parents did it for me and I will do same for my own. Of course they're gonna say no because they are the one who has to pay. They're told to say no or make it as difficult as possible in order to save $$$ because they know most parents will just give up and bend over.

So the question is... how much do you care for your son?

Really, I don't give shit about my son. In fact, I'm going to call the school right now and tell them they can save their money and dismiss the terp he has during the school day. Thanks for helping me figure that out!!

Really, I don't give shit about my son. In fact, I'm going to call the school right now and tell them they can save their money and dismiss the terp he has during the school day. Thanks for helping me figure that out!!

:sure: this is exactly why I answered like I did in the first post.

Yeppers. Same old same old with every single thread. She doesn't want answers, she wants praise for being an extra special mommy.

Perhaps your little sarcasm has gone a long way so far but sooner or later - you'll hit a dead end.

You asked us and we answered so why give us this attitude? :dunno:

Perhaps your little sarcasm has gone a long way so far but sooner or later - you'll hit a dead end.

You asked us and we answered so why give us this attitude? :dunno:

Par for the course. It has happened in every thread she has started with a question about something she should do. Asks the questions, and then gets snotty when the questions get answered.

So your daughter will never participate in any extracurricular activities with hearing peers? Thanks for the insight.

Huh are you kidding me? Why did you think this way with deaf kids who attends to the deaf schools yet never been assiociate with hearng peers. Please don't think that way. I went to deaf school all my life and still managed to participate both deaf sports and hearing sports. I even joined both deaf and hearing girl scouts. And then I am in the work field with hearing peers. So please don't think that way with deaf kids who go to deaf schools that have never been assiociate with hearing peers. They do.

Last edited:
So please don't think that way with deaf kids who go to deaf schools that have never been assiociate with hearing peers. They do.

just like home-schooled kids. they do associate with other kids.

I hope the HELL you're joking!! And what parent ask if they should fight for their kids!

So, looks like you fully believe he should have an interpreter for extracurricular activities, and you have the law to back you up, but those involved with the school and other advocates who make up your iep team don't interpret the law in the same way and think youare being unreasonable, hmm?

I'm surprised no one here has successfully made a case to get their children an after school interpreter and can give you some tips on what went into making the case as clear to the iep team as it is to you. Or maybe we just haven't heard yet from those with experience doing it.

Would be nice if people actually answered you with constructive approaches you could take to make this happen and reassure you that it can happen despite all that you've heard to the contrary.

I'd have thought that Jillio and PFH might have addressed this at some point, Jillio, wasn't your child in a mainstream environment briefly, or not long enough or at an age to encounter this need? PFH, is your daughter at an ASL / bibi school for the deaf or at an oral deaf school? Does she utilize interpreters in the academic or extracurricular environment at all?

Aside from these two, I rarely see parents of Deaf children who aren't aided or using CIs on this board anymore, I wish wee beastie and rockdrummer were here to contribute, I think eyd be more willing to share their experience rather than slam you for asking if you are being unreasonable in your expectation of interpreters for your child's after hours.

My son is mainstreamed full time, with an interpreter for the duration of the school day. Last year, I requested use of his FM in his extracurricular activities. District initially said no, which I was prepared for and provided them with relevant Ed codes. It was a challenge, but I finally got them to agree to it.

We had part one of his two part IEP, at which I requested an interpreter for some of his extracurricular activities. The district said they, " aren't obligated to provide one outside school hours" which isn't true. However, it will be a fight to get them to agree to it.

I know how I feel (he needs the terp, I don't want him missing pieces of what's going on), but a lot of people are giving me flack for it. He has decent residual hearing, but a severe hearing loss nonetheless.

Back