Should ASL be reserve to culturally Deaf people only?

I think Jiro mean that you and other hearing people want the deaf children to get CI to hear the sounds and listening if that is what you were referring to as spoken language and oral skills as perfect like a robot. We are only human and we are not perfect ever. So that you mean CI children must be fluent in listening and spoken language. Don't criticize us for saying that we have to use spoken language and listening whether hearing aids or CIs. It has been going on for a very long time which hearing authorities have been trying to teach us in orals skills and saying in oral language. This just turn us off right off the bat. That is why we have a hard time arguing with you about this being fluent or not getting what you are saying. You are not making any sense every time you claim that you have been using the signs with your daughter and involve in the Deaf community. We are not sure what you are trying to prove as saying that CI is a miracle for them to hear and listen. CI is just a tool that make the deaf children hear better but not really one hundred percent hearing at all. You can say no for all I care if you insisted that we are wrong. Well, I gotta go.

Where are you encountering these parents who don't want you to talk about ASL? Do you mean your own family didn't want you to talk about it when you were young?

I'm not sure if I said this before or not....but I had wanted to learn ASL when I was very young--in elementary school, around 3rd grade, I think. I had learned ASL informally from other ASL only users deaf peers in that school. Right now, I forgot tons tons all I learned years years ago.

I had told my wishes to my mother, but she was against me learning any ASL, or going to any school for the deaf....I actually cried....soo yeah.....

I'm not sure if I said this before or not....but I had wanted to learn ASL when I was very young--in elementary school, around 3rd grade, I think. I had learned ASL informally from other ASL only users deaf peers in that school. Right now, I forgot tons tons all I learned years years ago.

I had told my wishes to my mother, but she was against me learning any ASL, or going to any school for the deaf....so yeah....

Have you asked her why?

I think Jiro mean that you and other hearing people want the deaf children to get CI to hear the sounds and listening if that is what you were referring to as spoken language and oral skills as perfect like a robot. We are only human and we are not perfect ever. So that you mean CI children must be fluent in listening and spoken language. Don't criticize us for saying that we have to use spoken language and listening whether hearing aids or CIs. It has been going on for a very long time which hearing authorities have been trying to teach us in orals skills and saying in oral language. This just turn us off right off the bat. That is why we have a hard time arguing with you about this being fluent or not getting what you are saying. You are not making any sense every time you claim that you have been using the signs with your daughter and involve in the Deaf community. We are not sure what you are trying to prove as saying that CI is a miracle for them to hear and listen. CI is just a tool that make the deaf children hear better but not really one hundred percent hearing at all. You can say no for all I care if you insisted that we are wrong. Well, I gotta go.

no no. it's not about using ASL or learning how to speak. You can raise a deaf child with ASL and not make him/her as a Deaf (capital D) person. I know several deafies here who do not like to socialize with general deafies because they view them as bunch of immature leechers living off on SSI. They only mingle with DP (Deaf Professionals). This was the reason why NYC-DPHH was indefinitely cancelled.

You can grow up as a deaf person with ASL in a "hearie culture".

Perhaps her local Deaf school had a history of abuse. Maybe her grade level had no other students and she would have to be in a mixed age group....could be a million things.

keep going.

do please list more common reasons

Transportation issues, school district fighting the placement, school for the deaf requiring certain audiological requirements, a student not being eligible because they were no longer being served on an IEP, the school claiming that it is an inappropriate placement because ASL is not her language and therefor it is not LRE, I know in the past some Deaf schools were less open to kids with CI's....is that enough?

Transportation issues, school district fighting the placement, school for the deaf requiring certain audiological requirements, a student not being eligible because they were no longer being served on an IEP, the school claiming that it is an inappropriate placement because ASL is not her language and therefor it is not LRE, I know in the past some Deaf schools were less open to kids with CI's....is that enough?

nothing's ever enough for him. LOL LOL LOL.

You are scaring Sheila and other deaf young people who wish to go to a Deaf school to communicate with ASL. If the Deaf school were being very service and helpful with the deaf children but if you think that there are many negative things happening at the Deaf school including CI children. It is the sign language they want so badly and they were not offer in the mainstream school. It is much easier on the eye to see visual in ASL better than trying to lipread without the interpreter. That is why I said in the other post, "never send a child into the mainstream school if there is no interpreter". You are just a worrisome parent. :roll:

all for more reason why we should be spending money on teachers, schools, facility instead of audi, eh?

Back in 1983 or 1984 - just before i graduated from H.S. in 1984 - My mom and i went to ASL classes, my mom tried to learn ASL and she failed as i picked the ASL up real good at same time and passed the test and etc.... I am still using ASL ever since and i taught my wife ASL when we got married to this day..... All my life was Oral-ism in mainstream school at Berrien Springs, MI...... I thanked my ex boyfriend Butch who taught me ASL and SEE in first place before i met Kenneth (my ex boyfriend before i became Transgender male).....

You are scaring Sheila and other deaf young people who wish to go to a Deaf school to communicate with ASL. If the Deaf school were being very service and helpful with the deaf children but if you think that there are many negative things happening at the Deaf school including CI children. It is the sign language they want so badly and they were not offer in the mainstream school. It is much easier on the eye to see visual in ASL better than trying to lipread without the interpreter. That is why I said in the other post, "never send a child into the mainstream school if there is no interpreter". You are just a worrisome parent. :roll:

He asked me to list a dozen reasons why someone would choose not to send their child to a deaf school, so I did. I am not saying ANY of those reasons were true in her case, just that they were possible.

all for more reason why we should be spending money on teachers, schools, facility instead of audi, eh?

I simply said that there were a million reasons why someone may have chosen not to send their child to a deaf school. You asked, I answered, you then implied a bunch of crap that I never said.

understandable but let's think objectively here. Do you agree that what FJ just said do happen at many deaf schools?

Back