Should ASL be reserve to culturally Deaf people only?

No we should not stop advocating ASL. If they want oral only, they will go away.
The ones who stay will learn and be happy.

You really can't give up your values just to be popular.

that's true, although I'm not interested in being popular though.

It has nothing to do with culturally Deaf's attitude. I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about if we should stop advocating ASL to hearing parents since they seem to me that they get upset about it. Especially when we don't advocate oral-only. I'm asking HEARING parents if they think it should reserved to culturally deaf only.. I'm not asking culturally deaf people but they are more than welcome to pitch in their opinion.

What hearing parent is against sign? Certainly none around here.

As I said before, something like 80% of the families with a child with a hearing loss in my area use sign.

As I said before, something like 80% of the families with a child with a hearing loss in my area use sign.

So if I don't advocate oral-only, you are ok with that?

you are against deaf culture

Nope. My family is very active in our local Deaf community. They are open, supportive and loving. The opposite of so much that I find online.

But, just because I am choosing to involve my child in the Deaf community, does not mean that it is the only "right" way to raise a child. That is what I dislike the most. The idea that someone else has the right to dictate what is right for another family.

As long as you do not believe that people who do are selfish, lazy, or abusive.

I can understand that, but it depends, afterall some people did think my parents were abusive when I didn't have my hearing aids fix for a long time.

just kidding! I ain't letting you off the hook yet! nananana!

http://www.alldeaf.com/sign-language-oralism/83812-childs-behavior-8.html#post1698494
lol - I know exactly why ya'all are :mad2: at FJ... but for wrong reason. You overlook the fact that FJ's child does know ASL and does get involved with deaf people and deaf activities. And she's also learning how to talk. There's nothing wrong with that.

FJ's motive is not even about L1/L2 or bad English writing associated with ASL as L1. I believe Miss Kat is doing just fine and is coping with it just fine. Based on her posts - FJ is not interested in raising her child as a culturally-deaf person. Why? We've seen all kinds of negative things from deaf culture. Let's admit it. On big picture - they're immature and dramatic. It saddens me. LEVEL!

I can understand that, but it depends, afterall some people did think my parents were abusive when I didn't have my hearing aids fix for a long time.

Well, I would agree that it seems very cruel to require a child to use auditory means to communicate and then take away the tools they need to be able to understand the language around them.

That's your opinion, so what?

2d7sntc.gif

Back