Should ASL be reserve to culturally Deaf people only?

deafgal001

Reaction score
Just wondering because I get the impression from many parents that they don't want us to talk about ASL at all.

Don't worry, interpreters, CODAs/family, and friends, I'm not talking about you... Just deaf children.

I never get that impression. Almost all the parents I see here are very open to ASL.

I have only one memory of anti ASL, and she changed her mind when she realized how much it helped her son.

Where are you encountering these parents who don't want you to talk about ASL? Do you mean your own family didn't want you to talk about it when you were young?

Wirelessly posted

I believe everybody can benefit from ASL. those born with a speech impediment or those who have been horribly disfigured and end up losing the ability to talk properly... everybody empowers themselves through ASL.

Where are you encountering these parents who don't want you to talk about ASL? Do you mean your own family didn't want you to talk about it when you were young?

No just some thinks we are being judgemental or hostile to them.

I believe everybody can benefit from ASL. those born with a speech impediment or those who have been horribly disfigured and end up losing the ability to talk properly... everybody empowers themselves through ASL.
Exactly. It's a very helpful disabilty tool in general. It's awesome for hoh kids, it's awesome for kids with spoken language issues.

Wirelessly posted

I agree too.

Exactly. It's a very helpful disabilty tool in general. It's awesome for hoh kids, it's awesome for kids with spoken language issues.

An awesome language for anybody.

Its an awesome tool to teach language concepts. For everyone!

Wirelessly posted

*nodding agreement*. Also, those people who become aphasic via stroke or some other environmental factor. Although, the use of communication devices is also widely used as well.

If so, then I would not qualify, since I was told I could not be considered "culturally Deaf".

If so, then I would not qualify, since I was told I could not be considered "culturally Deaf".

Same here when I was first learning it. However, there are some culturally Deaf out there whom I have encountered who do believe that it should be reserved for them only. I stay away from people like them.

Re: the title: Of course not! Ya hadda ask? :lol:

No, not really (the asking part).

I advocate it because I wish I had it the time:
When I went swimming with my family

When my hearing aid/Ci broke

When I gave birth to my son, and I couldn't understand a single instruction because I was heavily medicated/ and yet alert enough to see (my concentration on speechreading had lowered, but my vision was not affected)

when my mother's cancer spread to her lungs and she couldn't stand me being there because it means more work for her. And currently, my dad have lung cancer and I am going to experience the same all over again. Not to mention, both my son and I have asthma.

when I found out what my grandma and great-aunt went though because of sign language

I could list more... but then I wonder if I'm just wasting my breath. I just want to ensure communication security for all deaf, you know.

No, not really (the asking part).

I advocate it because I wish I had it the time:
When I went swimming with my family

When my hearing aid/Ci broke

When I gave birth to my son, and I couldn't understand a single instruction because I was heavily medicated/ and yet alert enough to see (my concentration on speechreading had lowered, but my vision was not affected)

when my mother's cancer spread to her lungs and she couldn't stand me being there because it means more work for her. And currently, my dad have lung cancer and I am going to experience the same all over again. Not to mention, both my son and I have asthma.

when I found out what my grandma and great-aunt went though because of sign language

I could list more... but then I wonder if I'm just wasting my breath. I just want to ensure communication security for all deaf, you know.

Yes, I understand. I was just being goofy; sorry about that.

Well, it should be both of them, Culturally Deaf and HOH that can sign and knows Deaf Culture. I don't know what you mean "reserve" as making a place for them only, not the outside people. It is sounding like a elite club that reject poor people or middle class people for entering the rich club. It is more of a snob not letting anyone join the Deaf social or Deaf club to communicate with anyone who knows ASL signs. So I really don't know for myself on that topic. I am a Culturally Deaf and if I am a snob for doing that. Well, I am sorry as I am stubborn in my view, I guess. :dunno:

Well, it should be both of them, Culturally Deaf and HOH that can sign and knows Deaf Culture. I don't know what you mean "reserve" as making a place for them only, not the outside people. It is sounding like a elite club that reject poor people or middle class people for entering the rich club. It is more of a snob not letting anyone join the Deaf social or Deaf club to communicate with anyone who knows ASL signs. So I really don't know for myself on that topic. I am a Culturally Deaf and if I am a snob for doing that. Well, I am sorry as I am stubborn in my view, I guess. :dunno:

It has nothing to do with culturally Deaf's attitude. I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about if we should stop advocating ASL to hearing parents since they seem to me that they get upset about it. Especially when we don't advocate oral-only. I'm asking HEARING parents if they think it should reserved to culturally deaf only.. I'm not asking culturally deaf people but they are more than welcome to pitch in their opinion.

It has nothing to do with culturally Deaf's attitude. I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about if we should stop advocating ASL to hearing parents since they seem to me that they get upset about it. Especially when we don't advocate oral-only.

No we should not stop advocating ASL. If they want oral only, they will go away.
The ones who stay will learn and be happy.

You really can't give up your values just to be popular.

Back