Should ASL be reserve to culturally Deaf people only?

I simply said that there were a million reasons why someone may have chosen not to send their child to a deaf school. You asked, I answered, you then implied a bunch of crap that I never said.

implied? where?

You implied that I believed the money should go to audiologists and school districts rather than Deaf schools.

O.o

no I didn't imply such thing about you. I was just commenting to make point for others based on horrors you just listed.

umad?

I think Jiro mean that you and other hearing people want the deaf children to get CI to hear the sounds and listening if that is what you were referring to as spoken language and oral skills as perfect like a robot. We are only human and we are not perfect ever. So that you mean CI children must be fluent in listening and spoken language. Don't criticize us for saying that we have to use spoken language and listening whether hearing aids or CIs. It has been going on for a very long time which hearing authorities have been trying to teach us in orals skills and saying in oral language. This just turn us off right off the bat. That is why we have a hard time arguing with you about this being fluent or not getting what you are saying. You are not making any sense every time you claim that you have been using the signs with your daughter and involve in the Deaf community. We are not sure what you are trying to prove as saying that CI is a miracle for them to hear and listen. CI is just a tool that make the deaf children hear better but not really one hundred percent hearing at all. You can say no for all I care if you insisted that we are wrong. Well, I gotta go.

:gpost:

Many parents of CI implanted kids drop sign in favor of oral only. I've seen that more often then not. I only know of five families who didn't.

However, there are some culturally Deaf out there whom I have encountered who do believe that it should be reserved for them only. I stay away from people like them
Oh the ones who are all " You're not "really" Deaf since you're not DODA and didn't go to Deaf School? :roll: There are many different flavors of Deaf methinks!
Faire joure, so 80% of the families use ASL. Does that include the orally educated kids? If so, maybe we have a new trend of oral education in the schools but it's OK to use ASL out of school.

and sometimes i wonder the "youre not Really Deafs/those not really same way as the DODA or DKDS types' the "more oral' then they USE ASL to their own advantages like getting buisness-orientated jobs to which are 'designed to public relate to d/Deaf community for control on behalf of the interests of the Hearing society.. it hard to wonder how deserving do these ones using ASL when they often brag about how 'they look' after deaf community, its like they are wearing a "I have overcame my deafness" badge in front of the hearing world...is this the kind of message we want?
like why deafness is such a bad thing, why do we have to appease the hearings? sure tax money goes there and here but often for all the wrong reasons and assumptions -we all know about this and yet we squabble amongst ourselves!! - dont we think its sort of needing a shift in our attention to on the question why and how are our sign languages are intended to be used, capitalising it into the economy isnt enough for answers, rather it seem to bring more questions!!

I'm not sure if I said this before or not....but I had wanted to learn ASL when I was very young--in elementary school, around 3rd grade, I think. I had learned ASL informally from other ASL only users deaf peers in that school. Right now, I forgot tons tons all I learned years years ago.

I had told my wishes to my mother, but she was against me learning any ASL, or going to any school for the deaf....I actually cried....soo yeah.....

Yea, my mom didnt want me to learn ASL nor go to a Deaf school even though my brother did. She was afraid that I wouldn't be her "hearing" child anymore. Well, I was never "hearing" to begin with. Denial is a powerful thing to many of these parents.

:gpost:

Many parents of CI implanted kids drop sign in favor of oral only. I've seen that more often then not. I only know of five families who didn't.

Most children with CIs that I know start with some ASL in addition to or prior to learning English (I'd say all -- based on my daughter's peer group -- but I know a handful of now-adult CI users who didn't). Based on the children I know, it's more often that they begin with both ASL and English, and the children themselves select spoken over signed language. My daughter's teacher explained the lack of CI kids from 1st grade on: the children with CIs inevitably begin to choose one dominant language as they grow older, and it's more often than not English.

It's likely because English is what's more accessible in their world outside the classroom -- it's the same language they are learning to write and not many hearing families can provide ASL immersion at home and in their communities.

If the Deaf school were being very service and helpful with the deaf children but if you think that there are many negative things happening at the Deaf school including CI children.

This is the biggest "con" in my mind when it comes to deciding if my child will remain in a school for the deaf or attend her local school: the attitude by some involved (parents, teachers, admin) that the inclusion of CI children is a negative thing happening at Deaf schools.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I said this before or not....but I had wanted to learn ASL when I was very young--in elementary school, around 3rd grade, I think. I had learned ASL informally from other ASL only users deaf peers in that school. Right now, I forgot tons tons all I learned years years ago.

I had told my wishes to my mother, but she was against me learning any ASL, or going to any school for the deaf....I actually cried....soo yeah.....

Do you know why your mother was against letting you learn ASL?

My mother was born a citizen of another country, but grew up in the US, and her parents pretty much rejected their own home language, choosing to become 'fully American' and speaking only English in the home. Her parents discouraged anything but English in front of the children, even when other family members came to visit and had to struggle with English. So my mom learned very little of her own cultural language and can't even speak it today without a strong American accent.

I don't care what school they go to. Unless they feel they ought to go to certain school. It's ASL, I'm talking about.

edited: unless the school have a reputation of discouraging ASL, even at home.

Most children with CIs that I know start with some ASL in addition to or prior to learning English (I'd say all -- based on my daughter's peer group -- but I know a handful of now-adult CI users who didn't). Based on the children I know, it's more often that they begin with both ASL and English, and the children themselves select spoken over signed language. My daughter's teacher explained the lack of CI kids from 1st grade on: the children with CIs inevitably begin to choose one dominant language as they grow older, and it's more often than not English.

It's likely because English is what's more accessible in their world outside the classroom -- it's the same language they are learning to write and not many hearing families can provide ASL immersion at home and in their communities.

personally, I think they do need a refresher course of ASL now and then or at least one day of voice off. I know it is easy to drop ASL, but I think people should encourage and keep ASL as a positive thing too.

it is easy for deaf kids to be neglected if they don't have the right tools. They should not have to depend on their parents or money to have access to communication. yeah, they should depend on them make sure they know ASL , but for the long term, they should not have to depend on their parents to take them to the audiologist and have everything taken care of in order for them to have access to communication.

No it should not. If the language is to be preserved then the more people that use it the better it's chances are.

I agree. People always say that the child will choose the language that is "easier" and more accessible to them, and I have noticed that nearly all CI kids choose English.

It's the same for hoh and oral deaf, but I still don't think we should say "ok, they don't want ASL, lets stop using/teaching it and drop the whole thing"

I mean, my son hate speech therapy, and it is easy for him to talk the way he talk, but we don't drop it and say it is just easier that way. We keep encouraging him, and even give him stickers.

It's the same for hoh and oral deaf, but I still don't think we should say "ok, they don't want ASL, lets stop using/teaching it and drop the whole thing"

I mean, my son hate speech therapy, and it is easy for him to talk the way he talk, but we don't drop it and say it is just easier that way. We keep encouraging him, and even give him stickers.

But you can put in on the back burner and not have it be the language of the communication. But perhaps it can be for social situation or clarification.

But you can put in on the back burner and not have it be the language of the communication. But perhaps it can be for social situation or clarification.

as long the parents don't put them in a vulnerable position of being socially neglected if they happen to have no hearing devices , they can focus speech all they want..

I know know they can lipread or read notes, but most deaf do not like bits and pieces type of conversations which lipreading and notes can be like that. most notes written to me are usually a one sentence note. Many doctors and family members done this to me.

Last edited:
Back