Should a coda attends school where deaf integration/interpreter is there?

Red Tulip

Reaction score
I am considering of placing my hearing CODA daughter in a private school where they have Deaf Integration Unit there and easily accessible interpreters without advocating if she goes to a different school. She will be into normal classes. Thought it would be easier for her and myself. Let me know your inputs and why?...

Why not? She could serve as a langague model for the dhh kids with both Auslan and spoken English.

Man I wish they had school like this everywhere. Could you imagine being in this program being hoh?

Man I wish they had school like this everywhere. Could you imagine being in this program being hoh?

A very good friend of mine is the terp for the Deaf unit at the school where I live. She's the only one, and I think her school is the only one that does this locally. I wonder what other schools do when they have a Deaf child in their district.

My high school didn't even take deaf kids, they were sent to another mainstream school. I was just moderately hoh at the time, so I got to stay but I was given to help in classes.

I think it is great that you are considering this. In addition to being more accessible for you, CODA's often struggle with finding their identity just as deaf/Deaf kids do. Being in school where there are likely to be other CODA's may make it easier to find others with a shared experience.

Back