Sexual Abuse of Deaf Students in Schools...

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
*forgive me if I post this in the wrong place*

' Sexual Abuse of Deaf Students in Schools....'

frequent and frustrating......

When it comes to sexual abuse, deaf students are especially vulnerable to being abused by either older deaf children or school staff. These children may not be able to talk, their parents may not be able to communicate with them in sign language, and they may not have the language to be able to communicate about incidents, or even to be able to understand what has happened. More from your Guide below Advertisement

Many students have been abused at schools for the deaf around the globe, resulting in several lawsuits.

Some Schools......

Sexual abuse has taken place at schools/programs for the deaf for many years. To date, these schools are known to have had sexual abuse incidents:

**Amherst School for the Deaf/Halifax School for the Deaf, in Canada
**Arkansas School for the Deaf
**Governor Baxter School for the Deaf in Maine
**Jericho Hill School for the Deaf in Canada
**Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf/Central North Carolina School for the Deaf (closed)
**Margaret Sterck School for the Deaf, Delaware
**South Africa - Limpopo school for the deaf
**Washington School for the Deaf - This school has been the subject of an entire newspaper series by the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
**Oregon School for the Deaf
**St. Rita School for the Deaf in Ohio (alleged)

It is not just residential schools for the deaf that have problems with sexual abuse. Deaf students in day programs are just as vulnerable. I know because I'm aware of at least one incident involving a day student.

As the problem became more widespread, special treatment programs for both victims and perpetrators were made available at places such as the National Deaf Academy in Florida.

Protection for Deaf Students

How can parents, teachers, and schools protect deaf students from sexual abuse, and prevent deaf students from abusing other deaf students? Of course there is the usual advice--tell children about good touch/bad touch, the importance of reporting an incident immediately, and saying no, but how do you address the special needs of a deaf child with limited language? Schools for the deaf are trying to tighten up security and monitor students more closely, but as any parent knows, it is impossible to be there every minute (and funding problems for schools for the deaf may make it difficult to provide adequate supervision).

http://deafness.about.com/cs/educationgeneral/a/sexabuse.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------

It's makes me sad when I read this......Knowing what is happening to our children while they're in school... :(

I've heard about it happening at Gallaudet. I read a magazine article about Gallaudet years ago about their rape issue. It said that one big reason why most students at Gallaudet are raped is because the rapist knows that the deaf students are afraid to talk or can't communicate with others so they have no fear of being "outted" by the victims.

VamPyroX said:
I've heard about it happening at Gallaudet. I read a magazine article about Gallaudet years ago about their rape issue. It said that one big reason why most students at Gallaudet are raped is because the rapist knows that the deaf students are afraid to talk or can't communicate with others so they have no fear of being "outted" by the victims.

Actually, this is more common referred to the elementary/secondary schools for the deaf.

I do believe that students are at more of a risk compared to the average student enrolled at a public school due to many unqualified/weak house-parents working at schools for the deaf.

Some schools may be lucky to not have these problems, but I do believe that the majority of deaf schools has suffered these problems in the past, today and will continue into the future if they keep on hiring people without testing their skills and education levels.

It may not prevent sexual abuse, but with a high-qualified house-parent, the odds are greatly reduced.

You see, a lot of children are young and they can be brainwashed very easily. It is not too difficult for an adult to possess the power of control over a child and they will believe whatever the adult tell them to.

Children sometimes don't know what adults are really doing to them, and it can do some serious psychological damages to them for life.

If it was up to me, I'll have them shut down the schools or haul their staff and hire high-qualified and certificated house-parents. But since they pay house-parents in peanuts, we have no choice but to shut them down in order to prevent more sexual abuse cases from occurring. Unless the states are actually willing to jack up the paychecks.

VamPyroX said:

i wish to find out if most of these
rapists were "totally strangers" OR
non-strangers ???

Banjo said:
Actually, this is more common referred to the elementary/secondary schools for the deaf.

I do believe that students are at more of a risk compared to the average student enrolled at a public school due to many unqualified/weak house-parents working at schools for the deaf.

Some schools may be lucky to not have these problems, but I do believe that the majority of deaf schools has suffered these problems in the past, today and will continue into the future if they keep on hiring people without testing their skills and education levels.

It may not prevent sexual abuse, but with a high-qualified house-parent, the odds are greatly reduced.

You see, a lot of children are young and they can be brainwashed very easily. It is not too difficult for an adult to possess the power of control over a child and they will believe whatever the adult tell them to.

Children sometimes don't know what adults are really doing to them, and it can do some serious psychological damages to them for life.

If it was up to me, I'll have them shut down the schools or haul their staff and hire high-qualified and certificated house-parents. But since they pay house-parents in peanuts, we have no choice but to shut them down in order to prevent more sexual abuse cases from occurring. Unless the states are actually willing to jack up the paychecks.
Which is what is probably happening with the Michael Jackson case. The boy mother was brainwashed by his mother to believe that Michael Jackson did molest him.

Y said:
non-strangers ???
I think it was both. I don't remember seeing any definite answer since most victims don't talk.

VamPyroX said:
Which is what is probably happening with the Michael Jackson case. The boy mother was brainwashed by his mother to believe that Michael Jackson did molest him.

I feel that this is a complicated case since we know that Michael Jackson is well, a naive person.

He has made several lies in the past, especially on the plastic surgeries. We know he've had a lot of them done, but I don't hold him accountable for making changes to himself.

After all, it is his body and he can do whatever he want to it as he wish.

But now, that there is a hearing in February before it goes to trial which is likely to happen. Just hope it won't be too publicized like the O.J. Simpson trial but I bet it will be anyway.

But to say that Michael Jackson did molest these boys would be just plainly shallow of me since I don't know him personally, and many of you who has confidence in him being guilty don't him personally either.

After all, innocent till proven guilty is how the justice get served. We'll see what happen in the trial. It should be interesting to see what happen.

Ok, ok... let's get back to the topic.

^Angel^ said:
**Governor Baxter School for the Deaf in Maine

That's true as real fact. I was student there during school year Fall 1978-Spring 1979. Stayed with my second couin's house during fall semester. My grandmother decided to send me to live in the dorm for get idea during spring semester. Cannot believe what I witnessed the mean houseparent treated us very cruel. Yes, I saw that mean lady abused several girls front of my own eyes. Made me more fear and suffered cuz of bullying, hazing, abusive.
Till summer 1979, my grandma told me that we have to move back to Texas. I was so happy and hyperactive. Set me free from GBSD. After we moved to Texas, grandma asked me if i want enroll Texas School for the Deaf when I was in first grade. I screamed at her loudly and nervous. Fear myself that TSD might be another GBSD. I was too paranoid, ofc. Till I become more older during middle school. Interviewed with my friends about TSD. They explained to me. Thanks to them for break my fear. Enrolled TSD and loved it.
Yes, I sometime wonder about GBSD students I remmy during my school year there. Feel bad for them. All I do remmy their first name. I am very grateful that GBSD already expose lot of truths from former students about time! Heard that GBSD plan to honor of former superintendent. But most former students were big protest and demand remove that former superintendent for neglect many abuse case for years.

Y said:
non-strangers ???

I think VamPyroX is referring to an article published People Magazine in 1994 titled Silent Screams. These are excerpts from the article, which were published in an online gun magazine:

According to Gallaudet students quoted in Silent Screams, there is as many as one rape per weekend in the freshman dorms of the campus of 2200 students. These alleged sexual assaults are by one student on another student. Or as my friend explained, "Deaf on Deaf."

One student related her story in detail in the article named above. She was a 23-year old junior and a Student Resident Assistant who counseled other students in her dorm. A male SRA suggested that they study together in his room. She agreed. When coming out of the bathroom, he assaulted and raped her. She tried to push him away. She told him "no" several times. When he realized what he had done, he pleaded with her not to tell anyone. But she didn't listen to him anymore than he had listened to her.

She was taken to the school infirmary the next day and later to the D.C. police. Accompanied the following day by a campus security officer, she had to type her own statement at the police station. The police officer orally said that her case was not strong enough to consider. There was no interpreter, no questioning of the victim, no investigation of the alleged crime.. The young woman refused to let the matter stand. She took her case to the campus administrative board and was granted a hearing. Another student present at the hearing was quoted as saying "that when the accused testified, he more or less admitted he attacked (the young woman). He said, 'Maybe she said no, but I didn't see it.'" According to the victim, "The verdict said I did not use the word 'force,' even though I described in detail what he had done to me."

I. King Jordan, the University's first deaf president, was appointed in 1988. His comment concerning sexual assault (as interpreted by an assistant trained in American Sign Language) was, "I have never heard that there is an atmosphere of fear and intimidation at Gallaudet regarding this issue." He continued, "Sexual assault is a national problem. It exists at Georgetown, it exists at Harvard, and it exists here. If a woman at Gallaudet faces sexual assault, it should not happen."

Lasza said:
That's true as real fact. I was student there during school year Fall 1978-Spring 1979. Stayed with my second couin's house during fall semester. My grandmother decided to send me to live in the dorm for get idea during spring semester. Cannot believe what I witnessed the mean houseparent treated us very cruel. Yes, I saw that mean lady abused several girls front of my own eyes. Made me more fear and suffered cuz of bullying, hazing, abusive.

Hazing was a very popular activity at the residence dorms at the school where I attended. A lot of these hazing activities involved drugs, sex, and many more. At least I'm just saying what happened at the school I attended.

Bullying is quite common too.

Yes, I think a VERY big part of the problem is the fact that houseparents tend to be poorly paid, so that not too many people are attracted to it. As a result schools are so desperate that they don't really carefully screen for dangerous people. However, keep in mind that stuff like this happens in good schools both boarding and day, private,public and pariohchal.
Yes, students in residental settings are more at risk for sexual abuse. However, I'd think that the risk for a deaf/hoh student in a mainstream setting, would also be high. Pedephiles, prey on kids who are lonely and don't fit in with the gang. They pretend to be the deaf/hoh kid's friend and
gain their trust so they can sexually exploit the kid. Since a lot of mainstreamed deaf/hoh kids have rather severe social-emoitional issues, they are ripe for being preyed on. The boy's gym teacher at my old jr high preyed on the girls....I'm surprised I wasn't a target seeing as I was very isolated and didn't have too many friends. However, I had this sense that he wasn't quite right, as he just creeped me out.
I know also that kids with other disabilties are at high risk for sexual abuse too, since they are very often lonely and isolated, and b/c they sometimes can't commuicate too well.

Oh....almost forgot. Washington School for the Deaf did have a lot of sexual abuse issues, but it's not prone to sexual abuse. Most of the incidents were the work of one troublemaker, from what I understand he may even have been mentally ill and he just ended up at Washington School for the Deaf b/c there was no place else to go.
I think cutting down on hazing and the drinking and drug culture would help a lot with student on student sexual abuse. Also identifying abused kids (the recipants of abuse turn into abusers themselves...so it's very likely that abusers were abusees in the past.

deafdyke said:
The boy's gym teacher at my old jr high preyed on the girls....I'm surprised I wasn't a target seeing as I was very isolated and didn't have too many friends. However, I had this sense that he wasn't quite right, as he just creeped me out.

Have you ever noticed how often they tend to hire people with no degrees or experiences to teach gym classes?

I've noticed it quite often. That may be why we tend to hear horror stories about gym teachers rather than the math teachers.

Levonian said:
I think VamPyroX is referring to an article published People Magazine in 1994 titled Silent Screams. These are excerpts from the article, which were published in an online gun magazine:

According to Gallaudet students quoted in Silent Screams, there is as many as one rape per weekend in the freshman dorms of the campus of 2200 students. These alleged sexual assaults are by one student on another student. Or as my friend explained, "Deaf on Deaf."

One student related her story in detail in the article named above. She was a 23-year old junior and a Student Resident Assistant who counseled other students in her dorm. A male SRA suggested that they study together in his room. She agreed. When coming out of the bathroom, he assaulted and raped her. She tried to push him away. She told him "no" several times. When he realized what he had done, he pleaded with her not to tell anyone. But she didn't listen to him anymore than he had listened to her.

She was taken to the school infirmary the next day and later to the D.C. police. Accompanied the following day by a campus security officer, she had to type her own statement at the police station. The police officer orally said that her case was not strong enough to consider. There was no interpreter, no questioning of the victim, no investigation of the alleged crime.. The young woman refused to let the matter stand. She took her case to the campus administrative board and was granted a hearing. Another student present at the hearing was quoted as saying "that when the accused testified, he more or less admitted he attacked (the young woman). He said, 'Maybe she said no, but I didn't see it.'" According to the victim, "The verdict said I did not use the word 'force,' even though I described in detail what he had done to me."

I. King Jordan, the University's first deaf president, was appointed in 1988. His comment concerning sexual assault (as interpreted by an assistant trained in American Sign Language) was, "I have never heard that there is an atmosphere of fear and intimidation at Gallaudet regarding this issue." He continued, "Sexual assault is a national problem. It exists at Georgetown, it exists at Harvard, and it exists here. If a woman at Gallaudet faces sexual assault, it should not happen."
That might have been the article that I'm referring to. It was too long ago to remember.

I do agree... that same problem happened with the murders a few years ago. When the first suspect was questioned, they took his statement as a confession and put him in jail. They later realized that it wasn't strong enough of a statement and let him go.

It's happened in MKSD and PSD too a couple years ago. I wouldn't have my son going there.. not living in dorms either ;\ I'm afraid it would happen to him.. so I make sure it doesnt cuz too many schools do that..

Here's another interesting view to consider or ponder...besides the calamity of the many cases of school personnel raping or harassing students in the schools...To have a student or a number of students falsely accusing a teacher or house-parent of a crime that wasn't committed...it's quite an alarming thing for teachers, etc. to dwell on the possibility of that happening...there have been several cases pertaining to this...the outlandishly and redundant crises that each innocent teacher or public figure would have to go through in the eyes of the public...so horrible and gruesome for each innocent teacher that would have to put up with many parents alike...simply because a student(s) had some qualms or disliked however anything was brought up during classes, etc...or out of retaliation....

I have considered entering the profession of either teaching deaf/hoh youngsters or becoming a house-parent or resident advisor...yet, in these fragile times...it is quite a scary thought to pursue...

A couple of solutions...and perhaps many more as well...one, for a teacher...if there were certain times that a student is alone with the teacher or other professional in a school setting...would best make sure this teacher and student is in the presence of others nearby although this may be hard pressed to do so...but considering the ramifications of the possibilities that could happen, doing so could quite possibilty be of great interest and benefit for all...secondly, raising the qualifications standards by the government to enact higher salaries and better awarenesses for teachers, house-parents, etc...for BOTH sides of this issue...teachers acting out as perpretators and teachers protecting themselves.

^Angel^ said:
Protection for Deaf Students

How can parents, teachers, and schools protect deaf students from sexual abuse, and prevent deaf students from abusing other deaf students? Of course there is the usual advice--tell children about good touch/bad touch, the importance of reporting an incident immediately, and saying no, but how do you address the special needs of a deaf child with limited language? Schools for the deaf are trying to tighten up security and monitor students more closely, but as any parent knows, it is impossible to be there every minute (and funding problems for schools for the deaf may make it difficult to provide adequate supervision).
They need communicate, communicate, communicate. Speak to the children using the proper names for their body parts. We need to teach our children about safe and unsafe touches, as well as what is appropriate physical affection. They do not have to carry the trauma alone. The stressful feelings that result from a sexual assault do not have to last forever, Victims can and do recover. But the emotional trauma of sexual assault does not "just go away." Talking about the assault with people who are supportive and understanding begins the process of recovery. Some rape victims feel that if they avoid talking about the assault, they will be able to forget about what happened to them. Most survivors who try this approach eventually realize that they need to deal with the assault. Their unresolved feelings and fears hold them back from enjoying their lives and participating fully in relationships. Talking about the assault can help relieve some of the control it has over you and help you begin the process of recovery. We recommend that victims seek professional counseling as soon as possible to begin the healing process. Therapy provides a safe, private place to deal with your feelings and concerns. It also can be helpful to talk about your reactions with friends and family members who are supportive and understanding. The School NEEDS To be there to help this kind of situation.Know that it's never too late to call. Even if the attack happened years ago, the National Sexual Assault Hotline can still help. Many victims do not realize they need help until months or years later.

^Angel^ said:
**Amherst School for the Deaf/Halifax School for the Deaf, in Canada

**Jericho Hill School for the Deaf in Canada

Amherst School for the Deaf in Amherst, N.S. (Closed in 1994 or 1995)

There are already more than 100 cases under police investigation and so far several people have been charged with sexual and/or physical charges. The police are still seeking for more former students to come forward to help them build cases against the predators. Several victims have refused to come foward to talk to the police for some reasons.

To the best of my knowledge, the cases at Amherst School for the Deaf are far worse than Halifax School for the Deaf in Halifax, N.S.

Jericho Hill School for the Deaf in Vancouver, B.C.

Many of those sexual and physical abuses are based on cycle from teachers/dorm counsellors to teenagers to childern. When some of those victimized childrens grew up, they would did same thing to other students what their predators did to them. The documentary about Jericho Hill School for the Deaf was featured in a Canadian T.V. program called Witness on Canadian Broadcasting Corp (CBC) about six years ago. I taped this program and it racked up my nerve system.

You can check this site about the Ombudsman's report about the sexual abuses at the Jericho Hill School for the Deaf:

http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/XJ&sdn=d.../Public_Reports/PR32_Jericho_Hill_School.html

Last edited:
Levonian said:

She was taken to the school infirmary the next day and later to the D.C. police. Accompanied the following day by a campus security officer, she had to type her own statement at the police station. The police officer orally said that her case was not strong enough to consider. There was no interpreter, no questioning of the victim, no investigation of the alleged crime..

I recalled reading this article in the People Magazine. In this case, the case was dropped because alot of evidence was washed away during her shower following the assault. Those incidents were occured when I was a student at Gally.

Last edited:
Levonian said:

My fraternity brother I. King Jordan was absolutely right in his comment. It is a national wide problem at colleges, universities and community colleges in the United States of America. Did you know that six out of every ten sexual assaults were not reported to the university and college administration? This problem is needed to be addresses accoridngly and properly.

Back