Service Dog

SweetThang

Reaction score
I'm a College Student in Oklahoma and recently i have been trying to have my dog move in with my on campus. I have trained her on my own to notify me when certain sounds are there. The School is telling me that since she is not a certified service dog, that she is not allowed and mainly considered a pet. My roomate is in a wheelchair and has her dog living with us. That dog is not certified either. I did my research to fight their decision. I found that the ADA defines a service dog as an animal to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If they meet this defintion, animals are considered service animals under ADA, regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by the state or local govt. Can anyone give me any more information or advice on this? Thanks!

I would agree. It would have to be certified. There are people here at NTID who try to abuse it. There's one gal I know who has a dog like that. She got it for free cuz of ADA rights. She's now spoiling the dog and it's now a couch potato. She takes him to the store, mall, everywhere... and they can't do anything cuz it's "certified". I think they should put the dog through the certification program from time to time to renew their certification. That will teach those people to make sure those dogs keep doing their jobs.

Well, there could be a place where you could go to get your dog evaluated and see if the dog can get certificated or not.

You should look into it.

I agreed with Banjo, try find a place where dogs being trained and certified. I'm not sure if I remember this once I researched on hearing dogs, I think there's a possible you can put your own dog, not too old, for training to become qualify for hearing dog. Good luck and let us know what's going on!

Interesting!!

I applied for a Hearing Dog TWICE and both are rejected twice!! :werd:

They won't tell me the real reason why! I guess its because I have a hearing hubby, and hearing children?? It don't make sense to me, as I did enclosed a audio test to show I am profoundly deaf! Weird eh!!

I gave up and went to buy a pet golden receiver cross dog, and two days ago, I bought home a toy puppy hee hee

e said:
I researched on hearing dogs, I think there's a possible you can put your own dog, not too old, for training to become qualify for hearing dog. Good luck and let us know what's going on!

Yes, Deaf British people can choose their pet and apply for their dogs to register as Hearing Dog after the course of training first.

But in Adelaide, South Australia, they dislike this idea BECAUSE they believe its not wise because once the training is over, the same dog will go back to become a PET - waste of time they said!!

Also my first preference is large dog, 2nd is medium dog and toy dog came 3rd, they don't like training large dogs because they believe small to medium dogs have better and higher level of hearing than large dog!!! ?????

Strange comments from Hearing Dog of Adelaide, South Australia, I must say!!

I applied for Hearing dog service, I turned them down twice cuz they offered two different kinds of dogs in different times.. first one was SO Big.. I asked for medium size.. then 2nd one was so small.. terrier/poodle..
I dont want BIG dog, it will be hard to fit in our van with many kids plus not going to clean up big poop! lol
I dont want small or mini dog.. cuz afraid that will run her/him over by kids or me.. also i might ingore her/him when tried to tap on my leg because same height as my baby allen try to tap me.. lol

RedRum said:
Interesting!!

They won't tell me the real reason why! I guess its because I have a hearing hubby, and hearing children?? It don't make sense to me, as I did enclosed a audio test to show I am profoundly deaf! Weird eh!!

I gave up and went to buy a pet golden receiver cross dog, and two days ago, I bought home a toy puppy hee hee
Yeah, it's probably cuz of your hearing family. They usually reserve those dogs for those who live alone and depend on everything without hearing people around. My friends who have these dogs... all live alone.

RedRum said:
Interesting!!

Awww I love Golden Receiver Dogs They are Very Good Dogs and Very Friendly too .. I want one for myself... Hey Vamp Would I still get approved even if I have two hearing children?

Cheri said:
Awww I love Golden Receiver Dogs They are Very Good Dogs and Very Friendly too .. I want one for myself... Hey Vamp Would I still get approved even if I have two hearing children?
Probably not. You've shown that you've done fine at work without help. You've lived on your own with two kids for a very long time. My friends who have these dogs act like complete morons when they apply for a dog. They end up spoiling these dogs. This is probably why the made their restrictions more strict when applying for these dogs.

Back