Sensory Processing Issues...and Deaf/HoH kids

Adamsmomma

Reaction score
I'm just curious to hear from some of the other parents here-- especially the ones w/deaf-hoh kids...

Do your children also have Sensory Processing issues?? Which type of SPI do they have and what do you/or OT do to help them??

Adam apparently needs Deep Pressure stimulation?? He likes to move heavy stuff around, including his friends at school (LOL yeah but it's not really funny ya know?)

So I'm open to ideas~~~

Thanks!!!

U can use a weight jacket specifically designed for children with sensory processing issues. I have worked with deaf/hoh children with those issues and I have found that helpful in calming them down. No, I am not an expert in this field but I have some experience in working with children with these needs. Hope someone will come here and give u more info! Good luck! :wave:

Taco swings...heard those help a lot of kids with this issue. I used to have one in my sensory room.

They do have special ankle weights...but you need to be careful with those, obviously. And some kids like heavy blankets.

We've started letting him go outside w/the 'bigger' toddlers for about 30 min a day at least... he loves pushing the kiddie cars and shopping carts around~ which in turn means he is pushing his friends around a lot less!! Lol~~ also at home I pulled out his 'johnny jumper' man does he go to town, but OT said that's what he needs~ to frequently use his large muscle groups... shew guys he wears momma out!!! I think he'd LOVE a weighted blanket (I know I would, I have to have a comforter all year round for weight) We've also started doing joint compressions on him throughout the day~ and he's going to start swim lessons soon... wow, all this and he's only 13.5 months old!!!

Keep the ideas coming I sure can use them at home!!!!

Mastering large gross motor skills...you can check that off the list! LOL!!!

NO JOKE!!!

I've even started 'letting him' walk into school in the mornings... (makes it easier for me, while helping him too!)

I got to see Tuesday what a difference it makes when he hasn't had his 'large motor' play! WOW!!!

Wonder how many other kids have been given the diagnosis ADHD when they're really SPD??

Back