Sensitivity Reader/Brainstormer($) – quick preliminary questions

missdayna

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm writing a medical drama webcomic (think like Nurse Jackie), and I hope to include a d/Deaf/hoh/HoH character (details to be determined) who I work on with one or more sensitivity readers – paid or trade of course.

But before I move forward with that, I realized I have a couple crucial questions that should determine if and when I move forward.

1. Would it be possible to have a deaf Emergency Room Physician? That is, does it make sense to have a deaf person in a hearing, high-stakes, fast-paced environment where accurate communication is a necessity?

2. I've noticed that it's typical for comics with characters that use ASL (BSL, SEE) to kind of draw out the signs. Should I know sign language and be able to draw out the signs I need before I include a deaf character in my story? (As yet I haven't found a comprehensive "google translate" for English to sign language.)

I appreciate the insight!

You won't find any google translation for English to any sign language, because it is not a written language. Sign up for ASL class. There is more than meet the eye. Why don't you 'google' Deaf Physicians and interview them for their personal experiences?

Good luck with your webcomic.

You won't find any google translation for English to any sign language, because it is not a written language. Sign up for ASL class. There is more than meet the eye. Why don't you 'google' Deaf Physicians and interview them for their personal experiences?

Good luck with your webcomic.

Thanks for the input. Did you know google is actually developing a device with visual capture and wristbands to interpret ASL to English (cool, right)? But I guess you're right, that's why it's google translate and not google interpret lol.

In the fall, I start graduate school, and I hope to take ASL classes as my third language, but the webcomic is coming out next month, so one of my main questions is whether I should wait until next season, when I've done more research, to intro the character.

I have googled Deaf Physicians, but seeing if I can contact them is a great idea!

Back