Senate bill 1867

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeafCaroline

Reaction score
This "Senate Bill 1867" caught my eye in passing today so I googled it and was dismayed to find out not a single national newspaper is giving this any coverage.

Google

What are your thoughts on this bill and also any theories as to why this is not being mentioned in the news? I really don't like that this was all hush hush and secretive...

Brief explanation of Senate bill 1867: "Labeled the National Defense Authorization Act, S. 1867 was drafted in secret by Senators Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.) and approved in a closed-door committee meeting, according to the ACLU statement.

Basically, this bill would grant the miitary the right to hold and detain any American citizen indefinitely without a charge, anywhere in the world and within the US for anti-government activities including speaking out against the government...

This is crazy. Your thoughts?

This "Senate Bill 1867" caught my eye in passing today so I googled it and was dismayed to find out not a single national newspaper is giving this any coverage.

Google

What are your thoughts on this bill and also any theories as to why this is not being mentioned in the news? I really don't like that this was all hush hush and secretive...

Brief explanation of Senate bill 1867: "Labeled the National Defense Authorization Act, S. 1867 was drafted in secret by Senators Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.) and approved in a closed-door committee meeting, according to the ACLU statement.

Basically, this bill would grant the miitary the right to hold and detain any American citizen indefinitely without a charge, anywhere in the world and within the US for anti-government activities including speaking out against the government...

I read about this last nite and I lol'ed cuz I know it won't pass. FBI strongly opposes this.

Google

Agreed. Totally crazy. Leaves the military with no accountability and far to much control. This bill is made up of the extremes that people attribute to the fringe. Frightening when this frame of mind becomes mainstream. I can't see it passing, but just the fact that it made it this far is nuts. The fact that it was even written is nuts.

I'd say it isn't mentioned in the news because there is not a snowball's chance in hell that it would ever come close to passing.

Agreed. Totally crazy. Leaves the military with no accountability and far to much control. This bill is made up of the extremes that people attribute to the fringe. Frightening when this frame of mind becomes mainstream. I can't see it passing, but just the fact that it made it this far is nuts. The fact that it was even written is nuts.

I'd say it isn't mentioned in the news because there is not a snowball's chance in hell that it would ever come close to passing.

I keep thinking George Orwell lives again when I think of our political system.. He was more concerned about Commies and I'm more concerned about Fascism.

I would hope a bill like this would not pass. I'd be certain we're living in a police state if that passed. And we already live in something close to it.

I keep thinking George Orwell lives again when I think of our political system.. He was more concerned about Commies and I'm more concerned about Fascism.

I would hope a bill like this would not pass. I'd be certain we're living in a police state if that passed. And we already live in something close to it.

Orwellian is more of surveillance and censorship. Not quite applicable to this case.

but don't worry. this won't pass. this ridiculous bill was introduced most likely as a public stunt or as a knee-jerk shock tactic by Senate to send message to White House. This bill included a clause that will give funding to military and the reason why they did this because they didn't want Obama to slash defense funds.

Orwellian is more of surveillance and censorship. Not quite applicable to this case.

but don't worry. this won't pass. this ridiculous bill was introduced most likely as a public stunt or as a knee-jerk shock tactic by Senate to send message to White House. This bill included a clause that will give funding to military and the reason why they did this because they didn't want Obama to slash defense funds.

Stupid move. This is what happens when people react with a knee jerk response instead of intelligence.

His characters could be quite authoritarian and that our state becoming very authoritarian is a big concern of mine. That is why I invoked him. It doesn't matter if the state is liberal or conservative, I am wary of them becoming authoritarian in manner as it would mean our freedom is being compromised.

Last edited:
Imagine if Obama signs this. :giggle:

I can't even believe this bill is being discussed in the Senate. Any senator who supports this should lose his/her job and be thrown in jail for treason against the Constitution of the United States. This is downright appalling. Those mother&^%&ers on Capitol Hill are just really asking for the rage of the people at this point.

I can't even believe this bill is being discussed in the Senate. Any senator who supports this should lose his/her job and be thrown in jail for treason against the Constitution of the United States. This is downright appalling. Those mother&^%&ers on Capitol Hill are just really asking for the rage of the people at this point.

Nawww, just catcalls. Plus horses' heads in their beds. :lol:

Fear and rage from the fringe is their motive. Such stupidity.

That goes against the first Amendment.

Imagine if Obama signs this. :giggle:

Apparently, he threatened to veto it.

JURIST - Paper Chase: White House threatens veto of defense spending bill over detainee provisions

"The White House also warned that a section of the bill that would apply military custody requirements to certain individuals in the US "would raise serious and unsettled legal questions and would be inconsistent with the fundamental American principle that our military does not patrol our streets."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back