Self-conscious?

guido

Reaction score
Lately, Ive been had a hard time putting myself in front of a camera and recording my ASL assignments. The reason I surmise is because I'm afraid of my imperfections. The pauses, the "stutters," the wrong signs, wrong syntax. I don't really know how else to put it. I'm just too afraidf of criticism on my flow. And for this, I've been kind of discouraged. I have no doubt in a real life conversation, I would be fine with these, but when its just me and a camera, I tense up. Does anyone have any advice to overcome this? Anyone else experienced similar problems?

Well, a lot of people have this problem, it's the same as getting up in front of a classroom and signing. You know in the back of your mind that someone is going to look at the tape, and be watching for mistakes. You don't have that feeling when you are just having a conversation, because you know that the other people are concentrating on the content of what you say and not the way you say it.

It's very easy to say forget that the camera is there, but much harder to do it. I would suggest that you have a friend sit somewhere off camera, but within you sight line, and dign to them as if you are having a conversation, ot telling them a story. Concentrating on another person that you are comfortable with will help to distract you from the camera.

Good luck. And be easy on yourself. Everyone makes mistakes!

Lately, Ive been had a hard time putting myself in front of a camera and recording my ASL assignments. The reason I surmise is because I'm afraid of my imperfections. The pauses, the "stutters," the wrong signs, wrong syntax. I don't really know how else to put it. I'm just too afraidf of criticism on my flow. And for this, I've been kind of discouraged. I have no doubt in a real life conversation, I would be fine with these, but when its just me and a camera, I tense up. Does anyone have any advice to overcome this? Anyone else experienced similar problems?
Try presenting yourself in a mirror or focusing on something other than the camera.

Is there something you're comfortable with? Is there a friend, a significant other, a relative, an object (toy, picture, etc), or anything that you're very comfortable with? Put one of them directly on, behind, or next to the camera so that you can focus your eyes on that person or thing.

You could even try a mirror. Put the camera in front of the mirror and rise the camera high enough so that when you look at yourself in the mirror, you're almost looking directly at the camera.

Thats what Ive thought about doing, but practicing without the camera first until I feel satisfied with what I am seeing in the mirror.

I think this will help tremendously because now you can post it here on AD before you go to class and you can get feedback similar to what your instructor may or may not give.

I have always hated those self-video recorded class assignments!! Not everyone is a natural in front of the camera!

I agree with many of the other ADers' advice. Good luck!

For me, the camera was the worst part about ASL class. I hated it, not because i was afraid of making mistakes, but because I thought I looked like a retard.

Unfortunately I have no new words of advice, just remember, your teacher knows that some people just get nervous or cant sign infront of a camera.

I am sure you are awesome

Back