Security in School Systems

bitner90

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm currently an education student and with everything going on in the news lately. Children are coming to school with guns. Teachers are hurting each other and the numerous of other situations that have happened. There was a bomb threat made at my school this week. It was handled but it really got me thinking about my career path. What do you all think possible solutions are to these problems? Do you think that the school systems are doing enough to keep our children and school staff safe?

Most school systems aren't doing anything.

I know and its simply not enough. Hope many people have to die or be taken seriously? I want to be a teacher and I honestly love learning and sharing that knowledge of lots of things but it really scares me that one day I'm going to be teaching class and someone is going to start shooting. Shouldn't we add more secuity. Schools don't have a lot of money due to budgets but its it just as important that everyone is safe?

Adding security probably isn't going to happen for financial reasons but I would advise that you personally take some training if you can afford it. There are many classes out there that train in shooter scenarios and you may be able to talk to the trainer about your situation. Unless you're in one of the very few places that will allow you to carry a gun your options will be limited but understanding how these shootings typically take place and what happens during one could make the difference.

The preparedness plan for most schools is so worthless it's not even funny. On top of that they never ever drill in their plan so it's going to be useless. I wish that schools would at least consult security experts and build a decent plan for these situations but I think they would rather keep their head in the sand and pretend it wont happen to them.

Based on my experiences of public vs private schools if you want to pursue a safe career in teaching try going to a private school. It's amazing how nice private schools in that you rarely, if ever, have any fights. Do you notice that all the shootings and violence only occur in public schools?

And as for a solution to prevent violence in public schools like others are saying unfortunately the main issue is the budget. Sure we can hire full-time body guards, buy X-Ray machines, employ drug sniffing dogs but it would cost so much that barely any money would be left over to do any actual teaching.

Sure we could be more exclusive in public schools doing background checks but that defeats the purpose of a PUBLIC school. The whole point of a public school is to provide free accessible education regardless of hardships and low-income background.

So we're at a stalemate here, we can't afford the best security and yet we can't simply be more exclusive. All we can do is the best we can.

Well said

Based on my experiences of public vs private schools if you want to pursue a safe career in teaching try going to a private school. It's amazing how nice private schools in that you rarely, if ever, have any fights. Do you notice that all the shootings and violence only occur in public schools?

And as for a solution to prevent violence in public schools like others are saying unfortunately the main issue is the budget. Sure we can hire full-time body guards, buy X-Ray machines, employ drug sniffing dogs but it would cost so much that barely any money would be left over to do any actual teaching.

Sure we could be more exclusive in public schools doing background checks but that defeats the purpose of a PUBLIC school. The whole point of a public school is to provide free accessible education regardless of hardships and low-income background.

So we're at a stalemate here, we can't afford the best security and yet we can't simply be more exclusive. All we can do is the best we can.

I agree, private schools are better and they should be because the cost of tuition is usually ridiculous but my thought is why shouldn't public schools have the same educational opportunities and protection as public schools. Children and staff of both private and public schools should be protected equally but you are defiantly right when you say that its about budget issue but it seems like they have no problems taxes us for other things why should a little extra from everyone to supply better security be a priority too?

You could write to your congressman, representative, mayor, governor, or whoever that can influence the public school budget. But ultimately, it does suck in that education does not take high priority here. Like I was saying before sometimes all you can do is the best you can. You could bring your own mace to school or learn basic self-defense or figure out other low-cost or free methods of creating a safe environment.

I work for Baltimore City Public Schools and my school building is so locked up and it looks like a prison but inside is bright and cheerful that I forget that I work in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city. There is always that risk but there have been shootings at corporate offices, military bases, colleges, malls, movie theaters, restaurants and postal offices. I think the odds of getting shot while working as a teacher are slim but still always a risk no matter what.

Up to you if you feel teaching is worth it. For me, I am more aggravated by all the testing and less teaching than anything else.

Yes that all is true. I guess maybe I am too passionate about it, I just want so badly to change it. But I guess that maybe its the it can be done just a little bit at a time. As to shootings in general its so sad to think that the general public has to worry all the time when they are shopping, watching a movie or just out and about, about these things and the hidden danger in the world. I'm young yes, but why does it seem like all of this kind of violence is coming up now during this time. Maybe technology has gotten better and people have gotten crazier? Its all just so sad.

Back