Scientifict thoughts: Time and gravity

Cheetah

Cheetah Consulting-Closed
Premium Member
Reaction score
If time is created by gravity creating a dip in space, Wouldn't a magnet do something similar since they attract metal in much the same way gravity attracts, well, everything?

Thus you could use some really powerful magnets to bend space time?

Ok science buffs, stand by while I put some finishing touches on my first attempt at building a time machine. If you don't hear back from me for at least an hour, feel free to assume it worked!!! :D

If time is created by gravity creating a dip in space, Wouldn't a magnet do something similar since they attract metal in much the same way gravity attracts, well, everything?

Thus you could use some really powerful magnets to bend space time?

Ok science buffs, stand by while I put some finishing touches on my first attempt at building a time machine. If you don't hear back from me for at least an hour, feel free to assume it worked!!! :D

I have never heard this. According to Einstein's theory(as I understand it) time is a constant not attached to gravity or light which is wave and particle.

Can you produce your source?

Eureka! It worked!!! However I overshot the one hour goal by a bit. Sigh, I guess I need to work on that a bit more...

Well, gee... ALL of us are going forward in time! And I didn't even need a magnet for that. ;)

*Palmsmack* Doh! Ok, I concede I may have mislead some people here. :giggle: But seriously, just because we cannot really time travel (beyond moving forward in time at a constant pace) does not mean the math to do it does not exist. It does. Give me time, I'm sure it can be done!

That is interesting, but people are already saying it is false:

PhysForum Science, Physics and Technology Discussion Forums -> Another invalid theory - the "True" Relativity by

What I'd like to know is, since time is relative to the observer and attached to the state of that observer(the guy in the space ship), is it a fact that there is less gravity on a space ship, traveling closer to the speed of light that causes of the clock slowdown or is it the speed of the space ship itself? Could it be that speed decreases gravity or that it bends space-time? So does that means that a greater gravitational field would curve time the opposite way?

How about this? What if time does not exist? What if time is simply a human construct to help frame important events in the past and the future? Time is a way to explain in a linear manner what has happened or is about to happen. To me, time is merely an observation of motion, whether it be the movement of the sun from horizon to horizon, the movement of the sun dial's shadow across the ground, the pendulum of the clock, the second hand of a watch, or even the vibration of the quarts crystal or movement of electrons through the circuit of a digital watch (if you are fast enough to be able to observe it); time is movement. Even the activity within the brain, synapse-to-synapse, is movement of chemistry and the spark of life. Without movement, there is no life.

What if it's possible that our stumbling block in making other things possible is believing that time is real? What if there IS no past and no future? Just right now... At this time, it can't be proven that we could go "back in time" to stop the priest who rescued 4-y-o Hitler from a river, or go into the future to see what lies ahead for us. What if these science fiction movies about time travel are flawed on the belief that time does exist? Remember, it's just movement in the now that you're watching. It doesn't exist yet, nor does it exist anymore once past. You just happen to remember it, that's all.

If you have a head injury and permanently lose those memories, those events that happened no longer exist unless they're recorded in a very accessible form for other people to see and learn, and/or other people still remember it. They only exist up here, in your head. What is left behind, though are consequences of our actions; the people born as a result of unions, buildings and things left behind as legacies of politics and human organizations, and changes to the landscape as reminders of human impact on the environment.

That is interesting, but people are already saying it is false:

PhysForum Science, Physics and Technology Discussion Forums -> Another invalid theory - the "True" Relativity by

What I'd like to know is, since time is relative to the observer and attached to the state of that observer(the guy in the space ship), is it a fact that there is less gravity on a space ship, traveling closer to the speed of light that causes of the clock slowdown or is it the speed of the space ship itself? Could it be that speed decreases gravity or that it bends space-time? So does that means that a greater gravitational field would curve time the opposite way?

Fascinating question! I wonder how I can test this. How about if we launch a satellite to orbit the earth? What do you know, NASA has done just this: NASA - Gravity Probe B: The Relativity Mission

a nice question and answer can be found here: Gravity Probe B - Special & General Relativity Questions and Answers

and for a final conclusion? yes, time and space is warped by both the mass of our blue planet and the rotation of our planet.

What does this mean for us? And how can we make use of this information? Believe it or not this information is used to make communications faster.

Actual time travel? stand by. Still working on that.

How about this? What if time does not exist? What if time is simply a human construct to help frame important events in the past and the future? Time is a way to explain in a linear manner what has happened or is about to happen. To me, time is merely an observation of motion, whether it be the movement of the sun from horizon to horizon, the movement of the sun dial's shadow across the ground, the pendulum of the clock, the second hand of a watch, or even the vibration of the quarts crystal or movement of electrons through the circuit of a digital watch (if you are fast enough to be able to observe it); time is movement. Even the activity within the brain, synapse-to-synapse, is movement of chemistry and the spark of life. Without movement, there is no life.

What if it's possible that our stumbling block in making other things possible is believing that time is real? What if there IS no past and no future? Just right now... At this time, it can't be proven that we could go "back in time" to stop the priest who rescued 4-y-o Hitler from a river, or go into the future to see what lies ahead for us. What if these science fiction movies about time travel are flawed on the belief that time does exist? Remember, it's just movement in the now that you're watching. It doesn't exist yet, nor does it exist anymore once past. You just happen to remember it, that's all.

If you have a head injury and permanently lose those memories, those events that happened no longer exist unless they're recorded in a very accessible form for other people to see and learn, and/or other people still remember it. They only exist up here, in your head. What is left behind, though are consequences of our actions; the people born as a result of unions, buildings and things left behind as legacies of politics and human organizations, and changes to the landscape as reminders of human impact on the environment.

This is exactly what I was originally going to say, but the way I put it it sounded really dumb.

I think this is a quantum question: We observe time, so it does exist. The question, though, is what are we observing (movement of heavenly bodies) that makes us call it and experience it as "time?"

Jen M.

You are thinking of time as a tangible object. Time is really just a way of describing a linear progression. Try this test. Jump up and down. Now start counting your jumps. This is a rudimentary way to calculate time. You might say to someone, I will be there in 148 jumps. Or you might say I will be there in 5 minutes. Time is only dependent on your being in this universe. Thus if you exist, so does time.

Time is also relative to your position and speed (in relation to all the other worldly objects around you). So jump in a rocket ship and blast off going near the speed of light to some distant star. Your time in the space ship will be a 1 to 1 relationship. However your time in relation to the earth will no longer be a 1 to 1. If you go fast enough, it might be as much as 1 to 10, meaning one year for you would be 10 years for the folks on earth. The reason this can be is because of the time dilation relative to earth.

You might also fall into a black hole, the theory (VG has provided a link to a paper that disputes this) is that falling into a black hole you would approach and maybe even equal the speed of light such that you are going so fast an outside observer would conclude that you actually stopped. Thus the stronger the gravity, the more space/time is warped. And thus the faster time appears to operate within that space/time in relation to an area of space without any space/time warping. Thus... canceling out your time variance when falling into a black hole. So the lesson is, do not fall into a black hole you will just be crushed.

This whole space/time warping is the theory behind star trek warp engines. The idea is that space is folded or compressed ahead of you and stretched behind you putting you in a different place in space without actually moving (space is moving not the craft). Is this even possible? Not likely. how can we use this to time travel? We first need a way to leave this universe, then we can move from any point to any point (and any time) essentially popping in and out of our universe.

Back