Schools Fight Families Over Autism Service Dogs

I don't get to decide whether or not dogs go into classrooms. I don't think dogs belong in classrooms tethered to children, no. With the amount of media attention these cases are getting, I think the laws are going to have to be re-written and policies changed. I believe that developmentally delayed and disabled children can benefit from a highly trained pet or Emotional Support Animal. I don't think tying the child to a dog 24/7 is the answer.

I can tell you one thing, I think many parents with allergy related asthma children (and other type of allergies that distract their children from learning) will not like it. as long it is out the classroom and outdoor, then I'm fine with it.

Kaleb's family won a judge's order in July allowing the dog to come to class until a trial, set to start Nov. 10. That means when Kaleb starts his first full day of first grade Monday, Chewey will be by his side.
From the article, it does seem to be saying the family want the dog by his side IN the classroom

Yes, that dog has been going to school in the classroom tethered to the little boy since Monday. The school isn't happy about it.

As I'm sure you're aware, it is possible for those with allergies to have reactions even without the animal being present. Allergens are sticky and they travel on people's clothes. While I agree that this is no match for having the dog in the classroom, it is something that an attorney would likely bring up.

I know. Some kids come in to school covered with dog hair. Having a dog in the classroom would just build it up.dogs lick, shed, etc (my son always break out in eczema and hives when a dog lick him)

you can have alittle bit of pollen or whole bunch of pollen which why some of us get extremely sick during high pollen count

Normal/traditional service dog training schools do not place dogs with children, (most children) mostly because a child lacks the coordination/attention/strength to be the sole caretaker of a dog.

When Jack (Male Lab) went back to SEGI he weighed 75 lbs... and was 'ideal' weight.

Yes................an autism service dog is NOT a gotta have. If the kid is so impaired that nothing but a dog will help them calm down, then they need a very very specialized placement.

The main thing is that a service animal would be a huge distraction to most students.

If the dog ACTUALLY helps keep meltdowns to a minimum, then really the dog is going to be less distracting to the other children than the child with autism throwing a loud angry and violent fit!

I can't judge in this case specifically, but i've worked with a few children who have autism-assistance dogs. For some it really makes a huge difference, for others not so much. It really depends on the dog-child interaction.

*EQL*

but it is no where as close as to being important as a service dog for blind children
Did you know that only a very small percentage of blind folks have Seeing Eye dogs? Besides most blind kids can get along with a white cane or whatever.....
I think that the autism service dog should be on a case by case basis.
I also think if a kid is so severely impaired that only a dog can calm them down, they need to be in a very specialized placement.

feel free

I think it is great that they have come up the ability to help anyone especially autism.. Think of the peace of mind a mother or father has that their child is being helped by a service animal ...They have rules for everything and some are rules that need to be changed... This I think is one of them.. If it give releif to a paren to know that the child wont step in front of a car or bus,, what a releif ...

:bsflag:
well it is bad enough that children HAVE go to school no matter what (mandatory that they have to go all day for 5 days a week, so it is not like we have a choice)...They can't have pet allergies on top of that.

:bsflag: there are other options correspondence (where you dont have to do any lesson prep) home schooling(where lesson prep is required) and many difference options in those two too.

I'm sorry but autism service dogs aren't like seeing eye or seizure dogs or even hearing ear dogs. They simply use the dogs as comfort. Maybe find an alternative way to help the autistic kids.

There is a lot more that the service dog provides for an autistic child than just comfort.

While it may be a good idea to have a dog to be a service dog for autistic kids at school but, I don't see how that is necessary in a school setting where it can also be distracting for other children.

People have said the same thing about Sign Language Interpreters...

Back