School For The Deaf Or Mainstream?

but wait a minute..."language acquisition" - do you you mean -speech acquisition-
.... a deaf child already has a right and ability to language acquisition, which would be ASL or another signed language.

why are you here?
No, I mean language. The language is English. A deaf child does not have the "right" to any particular language. That is like saying that a child has the right to a particular religion or belief system. That isn't the case. That is a family's choice.

What I'm seeing is audist philosophy, not just different opinions. Seems very disrespectful on a deaf forum
I'm sorry, but I believe audist means that some believes that hearing people are better than D/deaf people. How have I said anything close to that? I support families being allowed to choose the language their child learns, deaf or hearing. I certainly don't think my students or friends are smarter or better than someone who uses ASL. That would be like thinking that a French person is inherently better than a German because they speak a different language. That is absurd.

I feel it would best to tell the parents it's would helpful for their deaf or hoh child to learn ASL and to be oral . The child can decide how they want to communicate when they get older. This should be about the child and not the parents . Damn nothing has chance since I was a child , it was always what the parents wanted and not
about what was best for the child!

She's referencing the Chaikof (one F not two)family. The parents have two daughters- Rachel was one of the first 200 children to get a CI and Jessica who has Usher's type 1. If you google Chaikof deaf you'll see a ton of stuff about them. I don't know what their educational history is though tbh.

I am one of those "Oral success" kids-- as far as I know I was never in remedial anything, attended a high school that teaches college prep courses.. in fact when I went to Gallaudet I was invited to the Honors Program. That year I discovered that the Honors English was equivalent to what I had already learned in junior/senior year (and probably earlier...) English and Humanities class! Of course... I would up getting kicked out of the program as my grades were not good... that came from 'culture shock' and discovering a whole new world with ASL and actually doing things with friends (didn't do that in HS).

Yes I do wonder how much better I could have done but if I could hold my own academically in HS I went to, I'd say I did darn well.

I however do know a few deaf & HOH who grew up oral and needed remedial and prep(at Gallaudet).. and a few deaf & HOH who did as well as I did.
Yes, you're right. That is who I was referring to. They have NO other disabilties, and they went HARDCORE AVT, to the point where their mother SAT on them to get their CIs on ...AVT claims that it produces amazing results....but yet it ignores the kids who while they can hear and talk, are on a lower level or who are in the mainstream but are failing and have no friends...and yes, they were given intense intervention. Speech and hearing are only one part of the puzzle. After all if speech and hearing guarenteed success, all hearing people would be incredibily succesful.......and yes you're right....there's a mix of outcomes. However, I do know that one of the biggest issues isn't a particualar philosophy. The oral schools/programs are just as small as the signing deaf ones......it's about kids falling through the cracks. Sherri Farina, who is the president of a Dhh advocacy service in CA tells me that the biggest thing is kids falling through the cracks. The ORAL schools supported LEAD-K b/c GUESS what? They were seeing lots and lots of kids in their classes who were the result of falling through the cracks, and assuming that the mainstream,low dhh support setting was "best"

I agree that there are many deaf students who need remedial English. In fact, I like something close to 75% of Gallaudet students need one or more years of English before they can even take a 100 level English course. I am not going to blame that on cochlear implants or auditory verbal therapy. I have yet to see any correlation there.
And you do realize that only a small percentage of Gally students attended a deaf school or a dhh program right? I know for a fact that the percentage of students there who were educated oral/mainstream/ AV style (meaning with little/no dhh specific supports) is very high.....and get off your fixtation with CIs. Nobody's saying that CIs are causing anything..... But yes, AVT or an AV style education DOES cause delays since an AV approach assumes that the mainstream educational enviorment is high quality. You do realize that we are in the middle of a huge educational reform debate over hearing schools right? If hearing schools need to be reformed then why do we worship them as a placement for dhh and other disabled kids?

But why does it need to be a disability in your eyes? There's advantages and disadvantages to the fact of not hearing yes. But we adapt our world constantly for hearing people that speak a different language. Why do you have the idea it should be fixed?

My problem is more that from baby on you're telling these kids, please focus on your weaknesses, while they should focus on their strengths, which will give them way more chances to excell in life

We just have different strengths like we all have....
Exactly. TeacheroftheDeaf, do you wear glasses? Imagine if we had an educational system that demanded that you couldn't use your glasses, and you couldn't use alterntive methods to learn, like Braille and books on tape, but you HAD to exclusively use your vision to learn. You wouldn't do so well b/c trying to function like a sighted person without glasses would be focusing on your weaknesses!

No, I mean language. The language is English. A deaf child does not have the "right" to any particular language. That is like saying that a child has the right to a particular religion or belief system. That isn't the case. That is a family's choice.
Well why doesn't a dhh kid have the right to as many tools in the toolbox as possible? Why is auditory oral/verbal so hyperfocused on trying to make a dhh kid function as normally as possible? Where does the resistance come from?

You are mistaken..a deaf child has a RIGHT to FULL ACCESS to language and spoken English isnt fully accessible to us like it is to hearing people. I have a CI and yes I hear better than my hearing aids but I still dont have FULL access to English like I do with ASL. That's called a human right and by not allowing ASL in the deaf child's life, you are taking away that right. "You", as in general

WTF! I am Jewish and my daughter wanted to go to an Unitarian church to see what it was like when she was a child and I let her go so she could decide what belief she wanted to follow. What century are you living in?? If my child was born HOH like me it would had been up to her which language she wanted to use and not me .
I am her mother not her owner as she was a my pet !

I have gone back and re-read from the first post in this thread. The more I think about it the less I think that the particular Deaf School the the OP visited is a good fit for her daughter. Not that she shouldn't have the chance to learn ASL but that the kids seem to be so completely different than her daughter. Isn't there something around between to two things the OP presented?

WDYS- YES- I missed that part about the "religious belief" system from TeacheroftheDeaf...that pisses me off now too.
<below will be off-topic but will come back>

I'm also Jewish <as you know, WDYS, but this second line is more generally directed as part of the thread>> and I THANK and bless my parents for having the foresight to let me choose my religious path, including whether or not as a child I wanted to go to synagogue. Over the years I also became involved in UU'ism while still remaining <after having re-investigated Judaism in college> strongly, but not religiously, Jewish. Children -DO- have a right to learn about and choose their religion or belief system.

<on topic>

and the whole thing you have going, TeacheroftheDeaf, reeks of audism, so much so that you can't see it. That is part of what audism is about, just like with racism, sexism, homophobia and other injustices.

WDYS- YES- I missed that part about the "religious belief" system from TeacheroftheDeaf...that pisses me off now too.
<below will be off-topic but will come back>

I'm also Jewish <as you know, WDYS, but this second line is more generally directed as part of the thread>> and I THANK and bless my parents for having the foresight to let me choose my religious path, including whether or not as a child I wanted to go to synagogue. Over the years I also became involved in UU'ism while still remaining <after having re-investigated Judaism in college> strongly, but not religiously, Jewish. Children -DO- have a right to learn about and choose their religion or belief system.

<on topic>

and the whole thing you have going, TeacheroftheDeaf, reeks of audism, so much so that you can't see it. That is part of what audism is about, just like with racism, sexism, homophobia and other injustices.
TeacheroftheDeaf doesn't seem to think children have any rights . :(

I have gone back and re-read from the first post in this thread. The more I think about it the less I think that the particular Deaf School the the OP visited is a good fit for her daughter. Not that she shouldn't have the chance to learn ASL but that the kids seem to be so completely different than her daughter. Isn't there something around between to two things the OP presented?
And that is why I support a dhh program housed at a public school as an option. Those can be excellent for audilogically or functionally HOH kids

WTF! I am Jewish and my daughter wanted to go to an Unitarian church to see what it was like when she was a child and I let her go so she could decide what belief she wanted to follow. What century are you living in?? If my child was born HOH like me it would had been up to her which language she wanted to use and not me .
I am her mother not her owner as she was a my pet !
Exactly! It's called being child centered. When dealing with dhh, blind/low vision and other conditions that require specialized techniques, methodologies, equiptment etc, a kid has a RIGHT to a variety of interventions, so they themselves can figure out which ones are helpful for THEM. You don't know what will/won't be useful until you try it. You don't want to look back in 10 or fifteen years and say " oh we should have done this or that." It's important to give kids the safety net and a variety of choices and options, so they can have a range of social, educational and life experiences.

the mainstreamed school (mid MRE) is better than the local school option (LRE). the deaf residential school is good for more Deaf (MRE).

our spoken language is ASK and our written language is English. Some Deaf faculty professors at Gallaudet want to switch from written english to ASL vlog. they forget there are deaf people working in the hearing world.

the mainstreamed school (mid MRE) is better than the local school option (LRE). the deaf residential school is good for more Deaf (MRE).

our spoken language is ASK and our written language is English. Some Deaf faculty professors at Gallaudet want to switch from written english to ASL vlog. they forget there are deaf people working in the hearing world.
By mainstreamed school, do you mean a dhh program? I'm with you! I support smart mainstreaming. Like a way to make sure that kids who are inclusion mainstreamed are in that placement appropreatily. Problem is that we assume that inclusion is ALWAYS the best placement for dhh and other low incidence kids!

but wait a minute..."language acquisition" - do you you mean -speech acquisition-
.... a deaf child already has a right and ability to language acquisition, which would be ASL or another signed language.

why are you here?
I'm thinking either she's one of those well meaning but "can't see the forest for the trees" people who work with dhh or disabled kids b/c they're so enthralled with how CUTE they are or a troll Unfortunatly there's a subtype of teacher/professional who works with dhh or otherwise disabled kids b/c they are so enthralled with how cute the kids are, or that they're so excited about making a dhh or otherwise disabled kid NORMAL. They don't understand the value of a comprehensive approach, seeing specialized techniques, methodologies, etc as "not normal"

Back