Save My VRS

In the last 5 years, I've only heard of PurpleVRS, Sorenson, and ZVRS. I'e never heard of the others... NEVER.

SprintVRS? I only remember SprintRelay (online relay service like IP-Relay).

You just made my point I was trying to make..... many never heard of the other VRS's. lack of media, advertising, etc.

The other vrs's were under the main ones you knew but FCC doesnt allow that anymore. There has been many many changes made that many dont know about.

You made my point even stronger, FCC cuts the rates, which reduces VRS ability to advertisement. The more they cut, the less advertisement they could produce.

Sorenson used to have whats called Tele-Education program, the idea of Tele-Education program is to educate Deafies their choices and teaches Deafies how to use VP, etc. FCC already forced them to cut and close that program, which leaves Deaf into darkness and they had no idea. Sad that it was closed 2 years ago. FCC actually don't want to pay for advertisement, technically outlaws that. I personally have met thousands of Deafies that does not have a clue what VRS is. Its very sad for me and for all Deafies.

You just made my point I was trying to make..... many never heard of the other VRS's. lack of media, advertising, etc.

The other vrs's were under the main ones you knew but FCC doesnt allow that anymore. There has been many many changes made that many dont know about.

How many times did I mention only Sorenson in this thread??? Please go back to previous posts, tell me how many times did I mention Sorenson? NONE! Not even ONE! All mentioned was V R S that is it! What does it means? It does not necessarily means Sorenson, it means ALL VRS industry and it can mean all of these 4 certified VRS companies so again NOTHING to do with Sorenson. Your barking at the wrong tree.

Surprised? I no longer work for Sorenson. I don't know if I will be able to work again in near future. This is about VRS industry not just Sorenson! From 40 to only 4 left, was 5 last week. I don't want it go down to just 1 or maybe none which is what FCC wants. I wanted you to understand that I am just another VRS customer that is all.

And no, I don't believe Sorenson being bully because I used to work there and I let customers decide for themselves. They kept coming back.

The real problem is the fiscal cliff, and every federal government is on the cutting block and is in attempt to cut more. It has nothing to do with VRS in operation, it is FEDERAL themselves that is trying to cut the cost. Problem is if congress do nothing, there will be 1.2 or 1.7 trillion dollars budget cuts all across the board including FCC, military, etc. How do I know? You should know too, FCC tend to proposal rate changes during early spring, right? Now is not even spring yet, we are not even hit winter season yet. This is not normal for FCC to announce their plans way too early. You see, if congress has not make any changes until January 1st, FCC will get cut with their budget, by how much? I don't know and it is somewhat scary.

The reason why I wanted Sorenson is because of their equipment that I like. I wanted a stand alone VRS equipment with nothing else in it, and I select my own TV size where no other VRS competitor offers that. And LASTLY, Sorenson own stand alone equipment has port for flasher where I could hook it up with whole house lightning system so I know call comes in even if I am in basement or other rooms. No other competitors other than Sorenson has offered me exact what I wanted. My decision on choosing VRS provider has nothing to do with working for them, it is my own personal preferance. The idea of FCC wants off the shelves, what are the chances the off the shelve product have the ringer port? If you know one, show me! One of Sorenson competitor has specific feature that I have wanted, problem is they don't have ringer port and the design is not what I wanted, what a bummer for me and I have done VRScomments with Sorenson.

Again, my concern is for ALL VRS industries not just Sorenson because I know there are people out there may not like Sorenson which is completely fine with me and understandable as well. And I wanted them Deafies as all for one and one for all, to have access to VRS just like I have, regardless which VRS provider they wanted. If they wanted Purple, sure no problem, if they wanted Z VRS, then fine with me, if they wanted Convo, fine with me too. But what is not fine with me is that FCC makes it difficult for small VRS company to run due to serious budget cuts.

Sorenson actually listen to customers, you may not realize this. They used VRScomments to improve and treak their system based on that. If you don't like something from Sorenson, just VRScomments and when they get enough feedback they will put it on engineer table and get this moving. This won't happen overnight but will happen over time.

Back to the point, it is for ALL of VRS companies... I believe FCC is doing anything to cut the cost, they don't care about Deaf because they are under budget stress. My concern is not just for Sorenson, but to ALL VRS. FCC knew that VRS is not the only way for Deafies to use, they see Text relay service, they would say whats wrong with it? Their motivation was text is cheaper.

ok -- first - let me apologize about you not working for sorenson. that is a new fact for me .. I always learn something new everyday.
I know about VRScomments. I used to say the same thing to others.
One thing I do agree with you about FCC -- Their lack of compassion to show support.
As for having a physical port for a flasher - yes Zvrs has it.Its not in a conventional way you think. their zbox has a port for a flasher. it can be hidden next to your router. no need to string a phone wire from directly from your z products to your flasher. you can string the phone wire directly to any of your flasher system as long it near a network outlet or router.
As for any size TV - good point , Sorenson only one that offers that as a simple install for those who are not technie savvy. I have my laptop with VRS on it hooked to my TV so I can have both laptop and TV size, but yet its still portable as I need it.
FYI - I use sorenson, zvrs and purple. I admit I dont use purple as much as I used to since the features are exactly the same from purple in Z products and I also can have other features like the one number and ability to block numbers and add info to address book to ANY of my Z stuff, so I am using more of the Z then purple.

My point is that other available VRS has more options NOW then last year.

Ok- back to the point -- We do all need to stand together and make sure that nothing goes away that much I agree with. I am a VRS customer too. We all are. Now - what to do? Just as vampyrox pointed out - At this point we need to just educate everyone about ALL the features/benefits for all VRS's including sorenson's that is available to you and the ways you can do it. This will allow us to be better informed and keep last 4 VRS alive.

Exactly, thanks for trying to get us in united and pull together to protect VRS industry. That is what I care the most, the problem is that Hearing people do not understand the needs of Deafies. The problem is that Deaf does not have a sense that Hearing people have for granted, and hearing people don't realize that when one lost a sense since birth will never know what that sense is like and can not fix it. Actually nothing to fix the loss of a sense. VRS offers 100% functional equilvent with Hearing people, because VRS offers sense of visual where Deafies requires the most while Text Relay lacks.

Your right about improving feature and options that has improved in the past couple years.

Bottom line is, I am pissed off at John Yeh, why? He is Deaf himself, how stupid of him betraying FCC in the first place. This shows FCC that we Deafies are scammers like John Yeh! We all know it is not true but this is how FCC views us. John Yeh has ruined Deaf reputation and changed the landscape of VRS industry afterwards. John Yeh has done serious damages to VRS industry. I know other Deafies who was involved with John Yeh, unbelievable and it is embarrassment for Deaf Community as well. Deaf done crime, with few other Deafies as accessory to the crime, that is how it painted FCC the picture of us Deafies. This gives FCC incentives to cut cost on VRS industry with looming Fiscal Cliff, its like perfect storm.

ok -- first - let me apologize about you not working for sorenson. that is a new fact for me .. I always learn something new everyday.
I know about VRScomments. I used to say the same thing to others.
One thing I do agree with you about FCC -- Their lack of compassion to show support.
As for having a physical port for a flasher - yes Zvrs has it.Its not in a conventional way you think. their zbox has a port for a flasher. it can be hidden next to your router. no need to string a phone wire from directly from your z products to your flasher. you can string the phone wire directly to any of your flasher system as long it near a network outlet or router.
As for any size TV - good point , Sorenson only one that offers that as a simple install for those who are not technie savvy. I have my laptop with VRS on it hooked to my TV so I can have both laptop and TV size, but yet its still portable as I need it.
FYI - I use sorenson, zvrs and purple. I admit I dont use purple as much as I used to since the features are exactly the same from purple in Z products and I also can have other features like the one number and ability to block numbers and add info to address book to ANY of my Z stuff, so I am using more of the Z then purple.

My point is that other available VRS has more options NOW then last year.

Ok- back to the point -- We do all need to stand together and make sure that nothing goes away that much I agree with. I am a VRS customer too. We all are. Now - what to do? Just as vampyrox pointed out - At this point we need to just educate everyone about ALL the features/benefits for all VRS's including sorenson's that is available to you and the ways you can do it. This will allow us to be better informed and keep last 4 VRS alive.

Yes, that is right. We need to show FCC that we aren't like Yeh. Government tend to keep past in present for as long as they want. Government tend to show papers with history and use it as excuse or reason why they want this and that. Trust is the issue with FCC, they do not trust us anymore. We want to break that, right? I mean re-gain the trust with us and we are not here to cheat with them again.

yeh is past history. time to move on anew .

This came in the news from iDeaf news. iDeafNews This video came from one of the staff from FCC, his name Gregg Hlibok, who worked for FCC. He will explain more about VRS reforms.

Last edited:
This came in the news from iDeaf news. iDeafNews This video came from one of the staff from FCC, his name Scott Hlibok, who worked for FCC. He will explain more about VRS reforms.

good video.. :ty: many good points ..

258, I do like what Greg Hlibok said. I am not sure if it is good idea to have generic VP application, or independent VP equipment provider. My concern was customers choices and I do not like the idea of going 100% software based. Not every customers would want software only VRS.

What I think really need is standardize the protocol, and port. The rest its up to VRS provider design one. That includes hardware too. The idea of standardize protocol is that it could lead to official protocols where all router/gateway modem manufacturer required to add in their line of products. The protocol is what makes two ends work together, if neither of them have same protocol, then the call can not be made, simple and straightforward. If your not sure what I mean, okay here is perfect example, HTTP is a protocol right? HTTPS is another type of protocol and they are not exchangeable. On all routers and gateway modem, Port 80 is already reserved for HTTP protocol, Port 443 is already reserved for HTTPS, there is no need to configure it when one plugs computer to routers or gateway modems and it will work right away. Even whenever firmware is upgraded or router/gateway modem has been hard reset. For Videophone, nothing is standardize and when router/gateway modem is either hard reset or upgraded their firmware everything is erased, forced VP user re-configure them. Not many of them (Users) know how to do that. Also, the protocol should become standardize with the most user using that particular protocol. When there is problem with VP equipments, majority of Deaf people thinks that VP equipment itself is the problem while the actual problem is within router/gateway modem and messed up with VP equipment.

Like I said in the past, we are just like hearing people that had to deal with during 1930's where not all telephone companies are on same page. I hope the improvement will happen in near future.

This came in the news from iDeaf news. iDeafNews This video came from one of the staff from FCC, his name Scott Hlibok, who worked for FCC. He will explain more about VRS reforms.

Last edited:
first of all - there is no real need to setup ports on the router . all people want now a days is plug and play with NO manipulation of router settings. thats the way it should be. You should be able to make a call ANYWHERE from your OWN phone number. just like hearing. equivalency. you should be able to answer from ANYWHERE in house if it hardware based.

You can't do that if each VRS doesnt open source to each other so interoperability can happen.

using VRS should be seamless no setup needed- should be able to have right to choose VRS on any software/hardware.

Again your mileage may vary- picking VRS's is about choices. some dont want hardware setup. some dont want software setup. some needs flexibility between the two.

I'm am going to say it again - sorenson is only doing things for themselves. they dont want to share. They want to stir the pot to make everyone angry for their OWN gain. What does this remind you of?

again- we dont want the rates to be too low, but then each VRS needs accountability for things they do. as amy efron said - show me the money.

Thank you for sharing!! Very clear to explain about VRS Reform.

This is misleading, hardware based VP requires router set up STILL! I have done this for years and not even single change has been made.

I have assisted thousands of customers with router and modem when it comes to black screen, incoming calls issue and so forth.

first of all - there is no real need to setup ports on the router . all people want now a days is plug and play with NO manipulation of router settings. thats the way it should be. You should be able to make a call ANYWHERE from your OWN phone number. just like hearing. equivalency. you should be able to answer from ANYWHERE in house if it hardware based.

You can't do that if each VRS doesnt open source to each other so interoperability can happen.

using VRS should be seamless no setup needed- should be able to have right to choose VRS on any software/hardware.

Again your mileage may vary- picking VRS's is about choices. some dont want hardware setup. some dont want software setup. some needs flexibility between the two.

I'm am going to say it again - sorenson is only doing things for themselves. they dont want to share. They want to stir the pot to make everyone angry for their OWN gain. What does this remind you of?

again- we dont want the rates to be too low, but then each VRS needs accountability for things they do. as amy efron said - show me the money.

This is misleading, hardware based VP requires router set up STILL! I have done this for years and not even single change has been made.

I have assisted thousands of customers with router and modem when it comes to black screen, incoming calls issue and so forth.

So have I assisted thousands.

you didnt read my statement correctly. let me restate -- you shouldnt have to worry about setting. period. other VRS's already for years have over come this issue. for some... the router settings was the last straw for migrating to other vrs. for some is the simplicity of the design. blah blah blah...

gonna take a break from this ego chest bashing now .. go have fun. :roll:

What if my Sorenson VP-200 might deactivate by FCC. Which one of VRS brand still alive? I'll sign up account.

What if my Sorenson VP-200 might deactivate by FCC. Which one of VRS brand still alive? I'll sign up account.

no worries .. like I said before - feel free to sign up with who ever you want.
now - look at this video - will give you the answers you seek

iDeafNews

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dJMj9mK_nE&feature=plcp[/ame]

Good point.

Nothing happened 2 years ago? Not true, I was there with massive lay offs 2 years ago. I was not the one that got laid off, whew! So reality, something did happened. People tend to forget what really happened in the past and start to think as if nothing happened.

My main concern is for Deafies that don't understand technies or don't know how to set up. Who do they turn to? Secondly, I do not want see "Stand alone" equipment to be phased out. That means possible no more VP-200, no more Ntouch VP. Possible just software only which is not what I wanted. I have met plenty of Deafies that want just a VP equipment with TV that is it, nothing else, they do not want computer, they do not want smartphone, they don't want anything fancy or too complicate for them. I have work for VRS for almost 6 years, wish I could work longer than that, oh well. Because of my nearly 6 years experience and met tens of thousands of Deafies though Videophone. More than half of them aren't that technical savvy, and yes I have met hundreds of them that can not get VP at all due to lack access to high speed Internet service.

I have no object on the idea of selecting VRS providers, I think it is good really. I also have the general idea of operation cost, they are in tune of millions dollars, just in neighbor of BILLIONS of dollars. That is operational cost, if you do the calculation yearly cost, it won't be less than a million dollars guaranteed. For Text or TTY relay or even voice over (One way text with other way as voice for hard of hearing), their operational cost is far far far less than VRS due to cheaper labor cost, and less equipment required to operation them.

What I don't understand is that FCC isn't cutting other relay service BUT VRS. The other kind of relay service that Hard of Hearing people are enjoying, FCC is being generously to them. I bet that is because many of FCC employees and government knew they will lose hearing one day or other and want to have best access to relay, that is voice over relay.

The broadband requirement for Text and voice is less than 90 KBPS while Video requires at least 256Kbps, that is almost three times requirement in speed for video, that is part reason why Text/voice is much cheaper.

Back