Same, worst or better?

jazzy

Reaction score
I am wondering about d/Deaf population, are we getting better, same or worst. Alike living in poverty, before it was bad for many deaf people , now I am wondering if they are getting better with good paying job or getting help from our govt? Or still high percent of deaf poplulation still living in poverty? How about our quality of life improve or not by having alike vp, computer, interpters in school or doctor offices,etc...?

I still feel alike I am still second class citizen since we still do not have everything that hearing people do have.

I guess you are right a little about the second class citizen. But I don't care much if I don't have all that hearing have.

I am very happy we support ourselves and have a home.

I guess you are right a little about the second class citizen. But I don't care much if I don't have all that hearing have.

I am very happy we support ourselves and have a home.
Great! so your not in poverty alike many deaf people I know of?

I heard there's only like 30 or 40 percent of deafies own a property and I was one of them. I don't know if it gets better or something.

The latest research I've seen says that up to 20% of deaf people are unemployed. That is 4 times the national average. I say that as a fact, not as a judgement of any kind.

(Mod's edit: previous quote is removed)

The latest research I've seen says that up to 20% of deaf people are unemployed. That is 4 times the national average. I say that as a fact, not as a judgement of any kind.
Do you have the source to back that up? Last time I was told about sixty percent of deaf people were unemployed. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I was told about sixty percent of deaf people were unemployed. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Yup! How could we believe which is more authentic? But we knew it's quite high for sure... shame! There are several factors that are blamed for.

Just think how ironically it turns out despite those technologies deaf could use which should be more helpful yet it didn't make any decent difference.

Obama should be good news for the deaf community by strengthening the ADA and minorities' rights, etc. So let's hope that he could help build more jobs for the deaf, especially.

The reason for the high numbers is due mostly to discrimination from the hearing world. It is a shame.

Why should deaf people work when they can sit at home and draw SSI money and watch TV all day long? Where's the motivation to go to work?

Frankly, I'm tempted to be one of them right now.

The reason for the high numbers is due mostly to discrimination from the hearing world. It is a shame.

I agree. It has been said that the unemployment rate for the deafblind is above 90% while the unemployment rate for the blind hovers between 70-80%. In all cases, I think discrimination is primarily to blame.

I agree, too! Some people don't realize how serious it is.

Also more deaf and hearing people (those who wry about others who struggled and depended on SSI/SSDI to survive) are getting laid off nowadays then they will find themselves some difficult times finding other jobs... then some of them will be forced to apply for SSI/SSDI. Then if so, they should rethink about others who suffered before.

Not all recipients were simply lazy and want smaller amount to survive, actually.

I agree, too! Some people don't realize how serious it is.

Also more deaf and hearing people (those who wry about others who struggled and depended on SSI/SSDI to survive) are getting laid off nowadays then they will find themselves some difficult times finding other jobs... then some of them will be forced to apply for SSI/SSDI. Then if so, they should rethink about others who suffered before.

Not all recipients were simply lazy and want smaller amount to survive, actually.

I was being sarcastic. My point was - it is easier to do the SSI route than to search for a job or stay with one.

I was being sarcastic. My point was - it is easier to do the SSI route than to search for a job or stay with one.

There are some recipients who could have found jobs if they tried hard, true. But I know what you really meant and agree so. What can we do, eh?

Back