Rosetta stone knock off for ASL

I would gladly be a tester as I know absolutely any real signing.

Also on the first screens the word "many" is misspelled "miny"

EDIT: once "she" starts with the alphabet she is going fairly fast for a first timer like myself

i'm not sure whats age-appropriate for a 4YO but i'm trying to keep everything pg-13 or under.

I have the base program working. but it snowed the day that the models were going to come over to film the signs.

If you decide to market for a younger population like that, please get someone to advise on the ways to make it developmentally appropriate for specific age groups.:wave:

I noticed that some spellings are too flat such as C, D, E, and F. I am aware that you are still working on your program. Just keep up your work. I think that your program is really excellence. Just avoid too primitive in some ways.

I would suggest you to add a search box to look up a word because some people have no patience to browse it.

By the way, I love it.

on the first screens the word "many" is misspelled "miny"... once "she" starts with the alphabet she is going fairly fast for a first timer...."Phrases" is the spelling of the word on the front page.......That's the kind of help that I need.

I'm going for 14yo and up. but I'm trying to keep it safe for younger ones.

the 1st 2 models signers are coming tomorrow to start replacing the cartoons with real photos and/or videos.

Do you guys think it would be better to do 4 signs on the video at a time with flash cards between ? or does 8 seam ok ?

and when you get one wrong do you think it shows the English test for the sign long enough?

BTW. I am very interested in what 1st time signers think.

I'm a beginner, and I think the signing speed is fine, but majority rule says you should probably slow it down a bit. Maybe somehow have an option to do it in slow mo? I don't know if that's even possible.

I don't normally correct deaf/hoh people unless they ask, but since you did:

On the directions page, you've got "appear" as "appiear" and "onto" as "unto." ... “breaking” as “braking,” “practice” as “practus” “cristmas” as “Christmas”,” also there’s “signd” under MODEL/SIGNERS instead of "signed". On TESTERS/PROOFES there’s “englash” instead of “English” “translactions” instead of “translations,” and “acaracy” instead of “accuracy.”

I misunderstood. You mean, 4 signs, and then flashcards to see which you remember? Definitely just 4 then, maybe 5. 8 would be way too confusing, I think, if I'm understanding this correctly. I think the English translation for when you get the letter wrong should stay just a little bit longer, because it’s sort of hard to see it sometimes in the little window. Either making it longer, or making it flash across the whole screen would be better IMO.

:) HTH!

wow that was good I really liked it:) I only know how to fingerspell my name and know a few signs and i thought it was pretty good! I'd love to help you test it and learn a bit at the same time!! :)

Also on the home page where it says "this is only a fuctions test"
fuctions should be "FUNCTIONS"

i really like it and would love to be a beta tester

I was actually Google searching for a Rosetta Stone product teaching ASL, and came across your post. I am not deaf nor do I know anyone intimately that is, but I am very interested in learning at least some basic foundations. In my line of work being able to communicate effectively with as many people as possible is very important, and something that is important to me as a person. I'd be happy to beta and offer my advice as a beginner, but I am mostly just here to say "go for it!" because many people like myself are interested in this. I have several books on ASL, but nothing beats interaction and exercises.

Google has already picked it up, cool.

basic foundations are pretty much what I'm going for . I to have several books on ASl but they seam to contradict each other.

I've been trying to shoot video for it today but of course ... it snowed.

as a side note I need to find some local ASL students to shoot the videos , models are handy but I have to show them every sign for every shot... really slows me down.

I am not so sure why you need a real person to use the sign. I think that the (child/adult) animation is safe due a simple legal work. I'm just brainstorming about it.

animation takes longer than videoing
The models are the same models that I use for my shoe shop. so I already have a release from them.

after I get it up and running. I'm hopeing to be able to get 3 or 4 different people to each sign.

also I'm hopeing after i get it started ....to find some people that i can talk into videoing them selves and adding them to the mix.

If i can just arrange a shoot on a day that it doesn't snow! I'm about to start working in today's footage . ( and fixing my spelling)

I just noticed that it doesn't have a name. I can't really call it " Rosetta stone knock off "

Why not just something simpe like StartASL? Don't mind me I'm boring and uncreative lol.

Sounds very similiar to the way I learn on my own with flash cards, I would be excited to check it out :)

Tried these and I think it is good. I like the different "people" in so far as you have both human and animated. I also liked how it did a "test" to make sure you were "getting it". Can't wait for the rest.

Just wanted to think you guys for all the input so far. you have no idea how much help it is.

I've got the dictionary worked out I'm useing a different swf file for each letter so a search wont work, but it will be some time before a search is needed.

I've only got to do a sample of the photo to sign and sign to text pages before i can start on the real program.

One suggestion - I'd use a plain, contrasting, solid colour background behind any signers (real or animated)

Also make sure that any real-life signers are wearing solid coloured clothing that contrasts with their skin tone.

These are both very important.

Oh - and if possible, it would be helpful for your "G" and "H" if you could show to proper position for the thumb , as the animation doesn't indicate if the thumb is extended or bent etc.

Last edited:
Back