RIVERSIDE: 3 students at school for deaf hospitalized after eating pot-laced brownies

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Updates with additional details

Three female students at California School for the Deaf, Riverside, were hospitalized Wednesday, Oct. 21, after eating brownies that contained marijuana.

"The three students were accompanied to the hospital and each student's parent was immediately notified about the incident," Scott Kerby, the school's interim site superintendent, wrote in a letter to staff that was furnished by the state Department of Education. "The students were released from the hospital the same afternoon."

The school is investigating the incident, Kerby wrote.

The girls were taken to Riverside Community Hospital for treatment, said California Highway Patrol Officer Travis Monks. The CHP, which investigates possible crimes at the state-run school, is looking into the incident, as well.

California School for the Deaf, Riverside, is a school for hard-of-hearing students in grades kindergarten through 12th grade. Many of the students live on campus during the week.

http://www.pe.com/articles/school-784153-riverside-marijuana.html

Not that I condone it but what kind of treatment did they receve at the hospitol? Cheetos?

Stomach pumping can have life threatening side effects. I wonder if they ment observation and not treatment? Seems like unless one of them was having a racing heart anything they could do would be riskier than doing nothing.

Stomach pumping can have life threatening side effects. I wonder if they ment observation and not treatment? Seems like unless one of them was having a racing heart anything they could do would be riskier than doing nothing.

I bet that is what they meant , they might been under observation to made sure they had no life threaten reaction from the pot , the pot could had been cut with something else .

Updates with additional details

Three female students at California School for the Deaf, Riverside, were hospitalized Wednesday, Oct. 21, after eating brownies that contained marijuana.

"The three students were accompanied to the hospital and each student's parent was immediately notified about the incident," Scott Kerby, the school's interim site superintendent, wrote in a letter to staff that was furnished by the state Department of Education. "The students were released from the hospital the same afternoon."

The school is investigating the incident, Kerby wrote.

The girls were taken to Riverside Community Hospital for treatment, said California Highway Patrol Officer Travis Monks. The CHP, which investigates possible crimes at the state-run school, is looking into the incident, as well.

California School for the Deaf, Riverside, is a school for hard-of-hearing students in grades kindergarten through 12th grade. Many of the students live on campus during the week.

http://www.pe.com/articles/school-784153-riverside-marijuana.html

The bold statement: hard-of-hearing???? :roll:

Boy, where did the media not understand that they are Deaf in a Deaf school? :(

Have asked...but can't find the ages of these girls....:hmm:...might have been their first time and the effects scared them??

The Parents may hold the school responsible....and read too, it happened in the 70's also, but don't know the outcome of it.

The bold statement: hard-of-hearing???? :roll:

Boy, where did the media not understand that they are Deaf in a Deaf school? :(

It should had said school for the deaf and hoh , people call me deaf all the time and I am hoh . A lot of hearing people don't seen to know there is a difference from being deaf and hoh.

Y if they brownies then between 5 and 11 no stomach wash..Mosly the girls sleep it off and give them so thing counteract any problems.If it been in water I doubt made any difference.

It should had said school for the deaf and hoh , people call me deaf all the time and I am hoh . A lot of hearing people don't seen to know there is a difference from being deaf and hoh.

Yes, but most deaf kids are functionally HOH (with CI and HA) Voice off Deaf (unaided, unimplanted) is pretty rare. But I do agree that the term school for the HOH, makes it sound like it's an oral school.

Have asked...but can't find the ages of these girls....:hmm:...might have been their first time and the effects scared them??

Most likely they ate far more than they should have with the effects being too strong. It's a common occurrence with edibles, since people will eat what they perceive as a sensible portion for a non-laced version of the food, like a whole cookie. Yet they are ingesting 3 to 4 times the amount intended to be eaten. If they ate two brownies apiece, they could have had 8 times the amount. Compound it with the delay in feeling the effects, one can jump the gun and consume more to "feel" it.

There would have been nothing to do other than for them to ride it out. If it was their first time, it will probably be their last. It's stupid really. You'll have conservatives screeching about the children in the face of the fast moving legalization movement, but it's no different than kids getting into the alcohol cabinet and going buck wild...except the latter can kill them. The former just scares the beejeezuz out of them.

Read that wrong said brownie thought meant little Girl Scouts

It is funny to think that the brownies were contained by marijuana (weeds). I thought some brownies had contained nuts which might be allergic to the Deaf students. That would be fatal to their health. There is more to the story.

I hope the State Department Of Education would not close up California School for the Deaf for good because of the incident. :(

I used to lived in Riverside, California with my ex-husband in the middle 1970. My son was born there.

It is funny to think that the brownies were contained by marijuana (weeds). I thought some brownies had contained nuts which might be allergic to the Deaf students. That would be fatal to their health. There is more to the story.

I hope the State Department Of Education would not close up California School for the Deaf for good because of the incident. :(

I used to lived in Riverside, California with my ex-husband in the middle 1970. My son was born there.

Making Brownies and putting weed into the mixture has been around for many years....even in the 60's.

Medically cannabis has no real overdose. Even when you overdose on Cannabis you get hungry. So unless it scared the girls as far as the high feeling goes there is no treatment for Cannabis overdose other than food, and water. I'm a med student I know that Cali is going to vote on legalization in 2016 so it is probably a scare tactic article.

Medically cannabis has no real overdose. Even when you overdose on Cannabis you get hungry. So unless it scared the girls as far as the high feeling goes there is no treatment for Cannabis overdose other than food, and water. I'm a med student I know that Cali is going to vote on legalization in 2016 so it is probably a scare tactic article.

Reactions can go all the way to anaphylactic shock.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/05/you-can-be-deathly-allergic-to-weed.html

Back