Risk of Bacterial Meningitis and Death in Children with Cochlear Implants

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is the warning that has been recently issued by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a branch under the US Department of Health and Human Services.

It begs the question - which is the best bet for a child found to be deaf - a CI or the best hearing aid device on the market?

Risk of Bacterial Meningitis and Death in Children with Cochlear Implants July, 2003

Many people have received cochlear implants to help them hear and communicate. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has been looking at a possible link between cochlear implants and meningitis. This study is now complete and has been published in the New England Journal of Medicine. The study had two purposes: (1) to find out how many children who had cochlear implants got bacterial meningitis afterwards, and (2) to find out if there are factors that might make it more likely that someone would get meningitis after getting a cochlear implant.

Following are links that provide some basic information about the study results, as well as sources where you can find more about cochlear implants, meningitis and death, please read and a link to the New England Journal of Medicine article.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/349/5/435?ijkey=FGbgCPw7gQwjk&keytype=ref&siteid=nejm

I've read about this a long time ago. I've already told a lot of people about it, but many of them don't seem to quite understand what's going on. That's their CHOICE.

i agree Vampy -- *sigh* i feel bad abt the kids who were told they have to have CI implanted (regardless of age)

THANK GOD i didnt support CI but i respect my friends decisions BUT I DONT SUPPORT CIs!

There's always a risk of bacterial meningitis regardless of that type of surgery was performed as long as it was around the head.

I do recall hearing a story about a friend of my mother who got bacterial meningitis from having a surgery to have a steel pin inserted in her upper backbone close to the base of her skull due to a hairline fracture. That steel pin was put in when she was only 14 yrs old...then 20 to 30 yrs later...she got that bacterial meningitis but she recovered.

It really has nothing to do with CIs. It just has to do with the surgeries around the head. I've read a medicial journal about bacterial meningitis that tends to develop around in "air pockets" that are created by the surgery. It allows the bacteria the room to be able to grow without interpurtions from the body's immune systems (no blood or any other body fluids in the "air pocket").

I'll bet you that if a surgery is performed to where there is virtually no bacteria in that operating room....there'll be no bacteria going into those air pockets of your body. Other words, the safer the surgery is..the less likely you would get any infections.

I posted this to prevent any misinformation to develop and be spread.

Thank you SilenceGold.. I didn't want any flaming wars to start about CIs because you see CI is a choice. :D

That is old news...but that is only for USA -- Dr Graeme Clark, pioneer of the Cochlear Implant here in Australia, has already cleared all allegations of it happening with Australian people with CI's.
There has been NO cases of mengitisis within Australia in people who have been implanted with cochlear implants, that includes myself.

sabrina's apparent quote of an unnamed and unsourced quote: "It begs the question - which is the best bet for a child found to be deaf - a CI or the best hearing aid device on the market?

me: dumb question. CI doctors do not implant deaf children that can benefit from hearing aids. A CI is considered only after all amplication options are exhausted.

sabrina, did YOU write this: "It begs the question - which is the best bet for a child found to be deaf - a CI or the best hearing aid device on the market? or did the US Dept of Human Services? I need to know if the DHS is ill-informed.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Bush_in_2004!
sabrina's apparent quote of an unnamed and unsourced quote: "It begs the question - which is the best bet for a child found to be deaf - a CI or the best hearing aid device on the market?

me: dumb question. CI doctors do not implant deaf children that can benefit from hearing aids. A CI is considered only after all amplication options are exhausted.

sabrina, did YOU write this: <b> "It begs the question - which is the best bet for a child found to be deaf - a CI or the best hearing aid device on the market? </b> or did the US Dept of Human Services? I need to know if the DHS is ill-informed.

I'll leave Sabrina to answer you...

But about your <b> tags....use [ and ] instead of the <>.

Regarding CI, I don't think that audiologists would allow you to get a CI on the same ear of the one that you can hear slight with aid of a hearing aid. You can't really compare CI and hearing aids.

SG, you're right. No ethical audiologist would let a person get a CI if they benefit from a HA. Yep, you can't compare CIs and HAs. This is why I think the DHHS did not make the statement sabrina "quoted".

thanks for the <>/[] info. its a hard habit to break when one writes html a lot!

My kids and I went to the picnic and meet several parents who have Deaf children ages from 18 mos old to 13 yrs old. Know what, my kids stunned to hear those children at age 8 to 12. Their speech sounds like Deaf voice.

It was very painful for me to see those adorable babies with huge scar on little cute heads. The parents were thrilled that their babies are able to hearing like them. Oh please... It makes me very furious. Why can't those parents accept for their Deaf children who are.

I meet several teenager kids, they are unhappy what their parents make the decision for them. They prefer to be Deaf like us. It is really sad to see the parents make huge mistake decision what the best for their Deaf children.

I am very sorry, I do NOT support 18 mos old to teenager ages what the parents make the decision for them. I do respect for the adults's decision because it is their bodies.

I would NEVER agree with this medical society to allow 18 mos old babies to get a cochlear implants.

It is really SAD because FDA does not update accurately information how risky for those young kids get the cochlear implants. FDA does not want to scare the parents how dangerous for those young ages Deaf children get the CI.

Those Deaf children ALWAYS to be DEAF like us. Cochlear Implants does not cure to be hearing !!

I learned how to speak since I was three years old. I sat on the fucking wooden chair to learn how to speak. Know what, I learned how to speak as a monkey's voice. What is the fucking waste of my time to learn how to speak for all those years.

I do not learn another things in academic. I just learned how to speak M, N, P, F, etc... No wonder, I can speak accurately FUCK as perfect !! Other rest of words, I can't speak that very well.

My kids said, my speak sounds like a monkey and chicken. I really appreciated what R.I. School for the Deaf taught me how to speak like a monkey.

I am very against for 18 mos old Deaf babies get the cochlear implants. :mad2:

Know what, my children said, if their children will be Deaf. They would rather NOT get them a cochlear implants even if the technology is much improved. They prefer to teach their Deaf children to using ASL as communication. Do not need to learn how to speak.

~ Sabrina

Originally posted by Sabrina
My kids and I went to the picnic and meet several parents who have Deaf children ages from 18 mos old to 13 yrs old. Know what, my kids stunned to hear those children at age 8 to 12. Their speech sounds like Deaf voice.

It was very painful for me to see those adorable babies with huge scar on little cute heads. The parents were thrilled that their babies are able to hearing like them. Oh please... It makes me very furious. Why can't those parents accept for their Deaf children who are.

I meet several teenager kids, they are unhappy what their parents make the decision for them. They prefer to be Deaf like us. It is really sad to see the parents make huge mistake decision what the best for their Deaf children.

I am very sorry, I do NOT support 18 mos old to teenager ages what the parents make the decision for them. I do respect for the adults's decision because it is their bodies.

I would NEVER agree with this medical society to allow 18 mos old babies to get a cochlear implants.

It is really SAD because FDA does not update accurately information how risky for those young kids get the cochlear implants. FDA does not want to scare the parents how dangerous for those young ages Deaf children get the CI.

Those Deaf children ALWAYS to be DEAF like us. Cochlear Implants does not cure to be hearing !!

I learned how to speak since I was three years old. I sat on the fucking wooden chair to learn how to speak. Know what, I learned how to speak as a monkey's voice. What is the fucking waste of my time to learn how to speak for all those years.

I do not learn another things in academic. I just learned how to speak M, N, P, F, etc... No wonder, I can speak accurately FUCK as perfect !! Other rest of words, I can't speak that very well.

My kids said, my speak sounds like a monkey and chicken. I really appreciated what R.I. School for the Deaf taught me how to speak like a monkey.

I am very against for 18 mos old Deaf babies get the cochlear implants. :mad2:

Know what, my children said, if their children will be Deaf. They would rather NOT get them a cochlear implants even if the technology is much improved. They prefer to teach their Deaf children to using ASL as communication. Do not need to learn how to speak.

~ Sabrina

I agree with you, Sabrina....I was never for kids being implanted by CI -- without their actual consent...it was made by the parents. I know they did what they thought was best for their kids. They didn't really mean to make it such a controversial issue for kids to be implanted at such an early age, but again...medical studies have proved that kids implanted at as early as of 2 years old have better chances of improving their hearing and integeration into the hearing world, despite the fact they will ALWAYS be deaf, period, once they've removed the CI for the night or when they don't feel like using it.
Some friends of mine who have had their done at a young age, didn't really mind cos they felt they had the best of both worlds. Some didn't. Of course, they're entitled to their opinions.

sabrina, okay, you voiced your opinion, but you didn't answer the question: who said this, you or the DHHS?: "It begs the question - which is the best bet for a child found to be deaf - a CI or the best hearing aid device on the market?

I'd like to know if the DHHS is spreading misinformation. Deaf people and hearing parents of deaf kids have enough trouble trying to sort truth from fiction without our gov't contributing, see?

Um....Sabrina....just one question...

Let's say your 18 months old son had some kind of deformed skull...and the doctor tells you that they need to do a surgery to get the skull set out correctly so the blood pressure around the brain would be even......WOULD YOU APPROVE THIS SURGERY?

It really has nothing to do with CI. It has to do with surgery with the risks of Bacterial Meningitis.

Originally posted by SilenceGold
Um....Sabrina....just one question...

Let's say your 18 months old son had some kind of deformed skull...and the doctor tells you that they need to do a surgery to get the skull set out correctly so the blood pressure around the brain would be even......WOULD YOU APPROVE THIS SURGERY?

It really has nothing to do with CI. It has to do with surgery with the risks of Bacterial Meningitis.

I would say yes due to good reason medical issue with deformed skull. If it is a risky with surgery of Bacterial Meningitis. It would be very difficult for me to approval or not. If the doctor said, the skull is necessary to be surgery due to deform. It is gamble to make decision. If the skull outgrow as normal when they become older. I would leave that skull like that. It is very difficult to make the decision if the child who has the meningitis. I would not take that risky.

My point is the cochlear implant for 18 mos old babies. They have born into this WORLD as innocent. They are very good healthy, happy, smile, adorable, etc... It just likes when the parents become very upset and panic to see their babies are not normal due to deafness. Take them to operation room to put a huge bandage aid around on their adorable little heads. It is too painful for me to see that Deaf innocence born into this world. They did not ask to change their identify from Deaf to hearing. God makes them natural born Deaf.

What is the heck wrong with parents for panic to see their children were born Deaf? They feel ashamed themselves because they did not want to hear other people feel sorry about their Deaf children that are label as disability.

To be honest with you, I do not consider labeling myself as disability because I am Deaf. I can do everything expect can't hear and speak. I teach sign language to my colleagues, we are able to communication. I would write the pad and pen to talk with strange hearing people. If they are afraid to communication with me, I speak strange as a monkey. Fuck them.. They have to learn to accept for who I am...

18 mos old to 8 yrs old Deaf children can't speak up themselves, they can't make their own decision due to young. Parents make the decision for them. It is their bodies NOT the parents!!

Why can't they find them in the Deaf school with good many Deaf teachers who use ASL visuals. I was so amazed to see many brilliant Deaf children at The Learning Center for the Deaf in Massachusetts. I know one young lady just graduated, her reading level equal College level because she grows up ASL with Deaf parents, teachers, friends, etc...

Deaf is not the reason medical emergency. Oh please....

Ask you a question, if you will have your Deaf children. Would you consider to getting them cochlear implant at 18 mos old to two years old ?

Aren't you proud yourself being Deaf ? Were not you angry with your parents to get your two cochlear implants when you were young? It is your body. How do you feel, they make the decision for you. If I were you, I would be angry and disown my parents because they don't accept for who I am.

Thanks god, my Dad is Deaf. My mom willing learned sign language for my Dad and me to communication. I wish, I would ask my Mom that question about the cochlear implant but she is in the heaven. Dang !

~ Sabrina

Last edited:
Originally posted by Boult
We all knew the risk before undergoing surgery.

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/safety/cochlear.html (updated as of July 2003)

Read the "Facts" in http://www.cdc.gov/nip/issues/cochlear/cochlear-gen.htm

The FDA/CDC study reviewed the medical records of 4,264 children under the age of six at the time of implantation. The focus of the investigation was young children because they account for the majority of known meningitis cases and represent the population that will receive most cochlear implants in the future. Of these patients, 26 were reported to have meningitis. Because the number of meningitis cases is small, we are limited in our ability to determine the risk of developing meningitis with various cochlear implant models.

Hi Boult

I do not see anything update statistic how many out there children death when they get their cochlear implants??

New England Journal Medical did mention but not the FDA. I just wonder why ?? I do not know if the article is misinformed but I feel strong guts that they did not want to publish anything article due to not scare for the parents or adults.

Again... Sorry, I would NEVER advocate to seeing 18 mos old to 10 years old children to get their cochlear implants. I am still against it... They have born natural Deaf. Why can't they use sign language instead of to learn speak? What a heck waste of their time ?? Look at me, I learned how to speak for about ten years. I do not speak accurately!! I wore my hearing aids for over twenty years. It is really annoying sound everyday in my life.

I am very happy to be Deaf until I die. I do not miss anything to hear any sound of music, birds, etc.. What ever....

Hope, your cochlear implants goes very well. Boult ! I do respect your wishes because you are an adult to make your own decision. It is your body!

Take care

Sabrina

Hi Boult

I do not see anything update statistic how many out there children death when they get their cochlear implants??

New England Journal Medical did mention but not the FDA. I just wonder why ?? I do not know if the article is misinformed but I feel strong guts that they did not want to publish anything article due to not scare for the parents or adults.

Again... Sorry, I would NEVER advocate to seeing 18 mos old to 10 years old children to get their cochlear implants. I am still against it... They have born natural Deaf. Why can't they use sign language instead of to learn speak? What a heck waste of their time ?? Look at me, I learned how to speak for about ten years. I do not speak accurately!! I wore my hearing aids for over twenty years. It is really annoying sound everyday in my life.

I am very happy to be Deaf until I die. I do not miss anything to hear any sound of music, birds, etc.. What ever....

Hope, your cochlear implants goes very well. Boult ! I do respect your wishes because you are an adult to make your own decision. It is your body!

Take care

Sabrina

I understand how you feel and perceive kids under the age of 18 not having a voice in saying whether they wanted a CI or not. To be honest, we cannot really do anything about that because it's the PARENTS who make the decisions. I know that is a controversy about that, but what can we do? I know heaps of protests have been done and still it's happening everywhere in the world.
Yes, if an D/deaf adult decides to have a CI, it's entirely their decision cos they're over 18. :D Just like me....I decided out of curiousity and I like it most of the times as it does enable me in understanding a lot of the conversations I engage with hearing people in the community and within my family as well.

I would say yes due to good reason medical issue with deformed skull. If it is a risky with surgery of Bacterial Meningitis. It would be very difficult for me to approval or not. If the doctor said, the skull is necessary to be surgery due to deform. It is gamble to make decision. If the skull outgrow as normal when they become older. I would leave that skull like that. It is very difficult to make the decision if the child who has the meningitis. I would not take that risky.

Doctors will always say that it's risky with any types of surgery anywhere on the body. Surgerys around the head always risk the chances of Bacterial Meningitis because of the close encounters with the spinal fluid in the area. Even some people COULD get Bacterial Meningitis from having wisdom tooth pulled out and a deep infection could spread to the spinal fluid. I was told by the dentist when I had it pulled few weeks ago.

Remember that Doctors also understand all those risks...they had schooling (I know it's a misspell but it's just funny to use this word)....they have to...they sure don't want to have a dead patient on their hands. FDA just released this statement to acknowledge that those patients (all of cochlear implant patients regardless of age) to KNOW that if they have a lot of health problems that they should go in and check to see if they have Bacterial Meningitis infection.

My point is the cochlear implant for 18 mos old babies. They have born into this WORLD as innocent. They are very good healthy, happy, smile, adorable, etc... It just likes when the parents become very upset and panic to see their babies are not normal due to deafness. Take them to operation room to put a huge bandage aid around on their adorable little heads. It is too painful for me to see that Deaf innocence born into this world. They did not ask to change their identify from Deaf to hearing. God makes them natural born Deaf.

Cochlear implant surgery is so less risky compared to a surgery that would relieve a brain pressure. The cochlear implant is NOWHERE near the brain. The huge bandage aid is just same as one put on your ass if you fell back on your ass on a floor full of broken glasses. How is that bad? (I know it'll be funny if you walk around a mall with bandages all around your ass :p)

I didn't become hearing when I got my cochlear implant. I was still DEAF. There's no changes.

What is the heck wrong with parents for panic to see their children were born Deaf? They feel ashamed themselves because they did not want to hear other people feel sorry about their Deaf children that are label as disability.

Cochlear implant is a tool. If you see a deaf kid walking around with his/her parents....go and tell the parents that you are proud of them taking care...how the hell did that deaf kid walk?? Parents taught them just like human beings. :)

To be honest with you, I do not consider labeling myself as disability because I am Deaf. I can do everything expect can't hear and speak. I teach sign language to my colleagues, we are able to communication. I would write the pad and pen to talk with strange hearing people. If they are afraid to communication with me, I speak strange as a monkey. Fuck them.. They have to learn to accept for who I am...

A guy in a wheelchair can do everything except to walk.

A blind man can do everything except to see.

A person with any sort of mental handicap can do anything but what their mental limits them to do.

All of those above sure don't like it...just like you who don't like being labeled someone who cannot do everything a human being should be capable of.

Those strangers definately would get the bad thoughts of the entire deaf community because of your actions just because they were scared to talk with you. If I had someone doing that to me...I'll put up my finger up saying 'Wait'...and walk around looking for piece of paper and pen...and write down, "Ok I know you're afraid to talk because you think that there's no way that you can talk to me...so here's the paper and pen...." Now....I'll walk off after talking with that stranger knowing that if he/she encounters a different deaf person....that person WILL KNOW what to do. :)

18 mos old to 8 yrs old Deaf children can't speak up themselves, they can't make their own decision due to young. Parents make the decision for them. It is their bodies NOT the parents!!

Funny....those children aren't supposed to make any decisions. That's the parents' jobs. I agree with you. But it's their life that the parents can control. Remember, parents want the best for their children just like you want the best for your children. The huge difference is.....their parents are clueless. Your parents sure was full of clues. Why don't you go and educate those clueless parents?? That is what happened to my mom. That's why I was in preschool with other hearing impaired children. She was an assistant teacher. She says that she has never met a deaf person before I was diagnosised with hearing loss. Now I'm grateful and PROUD that she learned full sign language. That all happened because someone else (a lot of people) has taught my mom....and she was willing to learn.

Why can't they find them in the Deaf school with good many Deaf teachers who use ASL visuals. I was so amazed to see many brilliant Deaf children at The Learning Center for the Deaf in Massachusetts. I know one young lady just graduated, her reading level equal College level because she grows up ASL with Deaf parents, teachers, friends, etc...

My mom was very fortune that this hearing impaired preschool was nearby. Even many and many of those new-found deaf parents are clueless of where the deaf schools are. I was shocked to find out that when I went to meet a hearing impaired child about 150 miles south of me close to the Arkansas border...this boy about 12 yrs old...had no clue there was a school for the deaf in Little Rock. I talked with him and I invited him to come with me (I'll pick him up) and we could go to a basketball game at the school for the deaf. He signs in SEE. His parents did too. So his parents approved for me to come...so I'm awaiting for next week to take him out. But when I talked with his parents..they had no idea of the deaf community. What I am doing is what I THINK is something great for deaf children. I volunteer as much as I can to make myself feel proud of what I am doing to help. :D

Deaf is not the reason medical emergency. Oh please....

Getting Cochlear Implant definately ain't a medicial emergency. You just call an audiologist for an appointment. You go in and have your hearing tests. The audiologist can deterimine that if you can hear or not. If you can't...you're approved. When you set up an appointment for the surgery. Hell..you could go in the morning and have the surgery then leave during the afternoons. Children are more senstive so they are kept more longer to make sure there's no discomforts.

Cochlear Implants are just tools to help you overcome the barriers of the hearing disability. I'm not talking about making you have the ability to be able to talk fluently with other hearing people. I'm talking about hearing things around to experience. Remember how important adaption is when you start with young children. :D

Ask you a question, if you will have your Deaf children. Would you consider to getting them cochlear implant at 18 mos old to two years old ?

Lisa and I have talked about this so much. If both children were full deaf and we were living close to our families....I would say yes so they could learn how to talk and speak. I do not know if I would have the money to afford to hire a speech therapist but I would suggest it. If we lived somewhere inside a deaf community....I would weight against getting cochlear implant for them because it's possible that they could have close friends with another deaf children when they are growing up. I still haven't made the final decision. It would all depend on what I see in the future. Thanks for asking.

I'll continue onto the next post.

Last edited:
Aren't you proud yourself being Deaf ? Were not you angry with your parents to get your two cochlear implants when you were young? It is your body. How do you feel, they make the decision for you. If I were you, I would be angry and disown my parents because they don't accept for who I am.

Of course, I'm proud to be myself as a deaf person who tries to set a postitive example that all deaf children should follow and for the hearing people to understand that deaf people can do anything they want.

I was angry with my parents when those cochlear implants were not successful. It made me feel that it was a waste. I was young...never trying to understand what my parents were trying to do. They were just wanting a better life for me to live. I cannot really blame my parents for trying their best. What else could they have really done better? My theory.....doing the cochlear implant at much more earlier age before the teenager years that I was started on...so I would be much more dependable on verbal communications. Remember that one of the major factors that the cochlear implant failed was because I had a full time interpreter.

There are huge differences between "Trying their best to improve my life" and "Not accepting who I am." They didn't try to change me into a hearing person. They knew that in 30 yrs that I would have to walk into a resturant and ask for a piece of paper and write it down. They wanted it to where I could faintly speak and understand that they took the correct order for me. That's where the cochlear implant came in. Even though, way before I got my first cochlear implant, I went through speech trainings...so cochlear implant IS NOT the only reason that I have excellent speaking and lipreading skills.

Thanks god, my Dad is Deaf. My mom willing learned sign language for my Dad and me to communication. I wish, I would ask my Mom that question about the cochlear implant but she is in the heaven. Dang !

~ Sabrina

How is your deaf father different than my hearing father?? Your father loves you....so does my father in loving me. Last time I saw him...I told him how great his camera was when I borrowed his digital camera to take with Lisa and I trip to Dallas. He even asked me some computer techinal questions to learn more about why his computer is having problems. We have no communciation problems.

Take care

Sabrina

Your life is adapted to be deaf. That is why you seem to have failed speaking skills. Also you hung around more deaf people and that made your deaf roots more stronger. I THINK that my speech skills has went down after I started to date Lisa...but not as much. Lisa also uses oral skills so that's why I'm not completely failed. I still have the habits to use my voice while signing around her and both of our family.

If you start a child with cochlear implant...do you honestly think that their lives would be adapted to deafness?

Sorry guys if this is long post....I'm just bored and waiting for a phone call.

Back