Rider

sonocativo

Reaction score
Well a few weeks back I finally got my John Deere back after the shop having it for nearly a month for repairs (new belts, blades, tune, spark plugs, and odd n ends ) well it started smoking when running, looked into it today as it got really bad, turns out the valve cover gasket was leaking oil right onto the muffler. So I took it off, degreased it and resealed with sealant... cleaned the gunk off the motor and ran it to burn the oil residue off the muffler ( nice smoke show ) but anyways, no more smoke or leaks !!!

I know lawn care season is about over, but going to put the word out this winter and be ready for spring.

Well a few weeks back I finally got my John Deere back after the shop having it for nearly a month for repairs (new belts, blades, tune, spark plugs, and odd n ends ) well it started smoking when running, looked into it today as it got really bad, turns out the valve cover gasket was leaking oil right onto the muffler. So I took it off, degreased it and resealed with sealant... cleaned the gunk off the motor and ran it to burn the oil residue off the muffler ( nice smoke show ) but anyways, no more smoke or leaks !!!

I know lawn care season is about over, but going to put the word out this winter and be ready for spring.

We do at times get enough snow to plow. Have you given any thought about doing that as well?

What kind of JD is it? If it's got the kohler motor put a couple of mouse traps on top of the flywheel grass screen. I've seen a lot of these motors overheated because mice build nests in the shrouds blocking air flow. Just fixed one that needed rings, lifters, and the head machined because of a little fluff under the tin. If you see any chewing of the plastic grass screen pull the tin just to be sure.

It has a Briggs engine and I havent had any issues in the couple years Ive owned it. I actually want to trade/sell this one to get a Zero turn ZTR.

as long as I lived where I was, had no issue with field mice oe anything. Just squirrels chewing the gas caps off

Zero turn are nice. My brother got one of the super tight turning regular tractors and it eats up ball joint plus if you're going to fast it just plows strait ahead. Zero turn will toss you off the tractor. :eek3:

Zero turn are nice. My brother got one of the super tight turning regular tractors and it eats up ball joint plus if you're going to fast it just plows strait ahead. Zero turn will toss you off the tractor. :eek3:

Thats what mine does, its heavy but if youre rollin it will plow straight ahead even with the wheels turned to the stops.... it turns but not in the proper arch, lol

I have 2003 John Deere LT150 w/ 15hp Kolher engine and 38 inch deck. I bought it for $500 good deal because technicially engine still brand new. Engine purrs smoothly while idling and roars on full throttle, quick to start.. My friend told me history of his JD tractor before sold it to me. His brother bought it brand new for $3,500 and two summer later, his dog chewed PTO handle tip, Brake pedal and wires. He couldn't start and decide to fix it later. My friend went over to his brother house and helped fix his truck. His bother told him he owed him lot money so here's still new John Deere. He took it home and replaced wires. He use it few times and later broke his femur recent summer from truck rolled off the driveway and sandwich him between school bus and truck (he was checking his disabled daughter if she need help).. His wife told him to sell off two tractors, John Deere and Troy-bilt. Coincidencally, I moved in new home with big property, my new neighbor told me that you need a tractor. So I heard my friend's wife who visited my house for decor suggestion, I told her I'm interested and need it asap.

After I bought JD and I mowed lawn and it was much quicker. Later on wire nearly caught on fire. IT turn out that the reverse switch jack popped off and got wrapped itself into steering column under dashboard thus shorting out couple of wires and burnt out Stator. Thick white smoke puffed thru hood opening. OOOHh no!! I had to push tractor to garage and I decide to take all wires out and took it over to friends house to replace bad wires. Then installed wires back in and it won't start or turn on. found out it's ignition switch, brake and PTO switch, and rectifier all went bad. I replaced and repaired it. Then finally fired up and it runs perfect but not charging battery. Stator was burnt out so I decide to hold off replacing stator. But rest of tractor ran like new. I took mow deck out and sharpened blades (2 blades), I spotted drive belt was had lot of cracks cuz its just simply old. I bought new drive belt and mow deck belt. Now with all repair and replacement parts, It's back up and running like new.

One of my achille heel is lousy plastic hood that cracked from one end. I read blog regarding this and many JD owner had same issues. It's JD quality control problem. I planned to repair with metal strip and glue then put handle on top so I can open hood without worrying cracking it.

I disable reverse safety switch so I can shift reverse quickly but leaving seat, PTO, and brake switch alone for safety purpose. I don't have kids running around on my property anyway cuz both of my son are old, one in HS and one in College and plus my oldest daughter in her 20's so why bother reverse switch, they're too old to run around the lawn.. lol

I told my friend that I'm not mad at him, It's just that it's old tractor with still new motor which worth the money.

Back