Retiring truck?

SneakerNet

Retired
Premium Member
Reaction score
This year, I think I"m going to retire my truck. I have been owning truck for many years, starting Ford Ranger all the way to Toyota Tacoma. So I have been doing lot of research on mid size SUV, which I'm thinking of getting it. I'm looking at like new Toyota Highlander, Madza CX-9, Lexus NX or RX, and maybe Acura MDX. Acura is alright... just that the exterior taste is ok... but I like the Madza CX-9 style and love the color red... like below, man it's a tough decision... I'm leaning more on CX-9 and I like the interior, showing some wood trims.... Any thought? on any SUV?

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 12.12.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 12.14.35 PM.png

I have metallic gray 2017 CX-9.. Been a great SUV so far. You could test drive and choose which makes you more comfortable. :)

Of course I'm planning to test drive it all. I'm glad you like CX-9. Is there any down side? or any disappointed that you which to have?

I don't know if you have any back problems; but several of my gal friends have gone to full size SUVs because that find them more comfortable getting in and out.

Nah..don't have any back problem. On a long trip, I need a big legs room on passenger side where I can stretch it out due to my stiffy knees. It's harder on my wife car, the Honda CR-V, where I have to push the back support down and move my ass up to allow to stretch it out. When I checked Highlander, the passenger side was very nice, plenty of legs room. So will look into the Mazda.

If you plan on keeping the car for a number of years, I would stay away from Mazda's. I have had two and Mazda's are known to have constant valve cover leaks and wiring issues.

I'm tall.. and I needed the room on drivers seat to be comfortable... CX-5 is a shorter SUV and I sat in CX-9 and test drove all... I feel comfortable with the CX-9. No downside to my CX-9 so far, the turbo 4 has decent power and accelerates pretty well and gets 28-30 mpg on highway depending on the road. There's no V6 engine in Mazda anymore.

Seb, many vehicles have issues when you put more miles on them. There is no perfect vehicles out there, they all have issues when you use them. Many engines have rubber gaskets in it and it wears down over time and causes leak. Many automakers put different designs in their vehicles and electrical issues is very common in many makes.

Oh that is right, I forgot that Madza don't make V6 anymore.... that is why have lower towing capacity 2000 lbs? I have to look in the spec.
Man... I wish it still make V6, That what I go for.

Seb, You know I have Toyota Tacoma with 175K miles on it, of course there are some leak, but If I do regular maintenance, every 5K miles... at the Toyota service, I had less issue with it including recalls etc... I even have 100K miles warranty on it and at one point hit about 70K miles there's bad bearing on front left wheel, no charge. No such a vehicles will be the same as soon as it came out of the factory. You know same goes for your shoes...does it stay the same? It wear and tear..so band-aids up!

Oh that is right, I forgot that Madza don't make V6 anymore.... that is why have lower towing capacity 2000 lbs? I have to look in the spec.
Man... I wish it still make V6, That what I go for.

If I recall, the CX-9 towing capacity is 3500lbs which is not bad for turbo 4. Similar power as V6.. I don't plan on towing anything with my CX-9. Fuel economy is part of the reason I bought a new one. My old Ford has over 200k miles on it, still runs with a small oil leak, only gets 22 mpg on the highway.

Been thinking and silly... 7 400 lbs men sit snugly inside CX 9.... mmm close to 2800 lbs total.... Poor little engine that could.... 3500 lbs which is not bad... Yeah since my truck can tow up to 6500 lbs and will no longer use it after Hurricane Sandy destroyed my boat... I will go ahead and do a test drive on CX 9 and see how my ass move when I accelerate.

Seb, many vehicles have issues when you put more miles on them. There is no perfect vehicles out there, they all have issues when you use them. Many engines have rubber gaskets in it and it wears down over time and causes leak. Many automakers put different designs in their vehicles and electrical issues is very common in many makes.

Both of our Mazda's began having oil leak issues when they had less than 50K on them and they would be fixed for a while and then start leaking again. Wiring issues have been an ongoing issue in our MPV and they started when the vehicle had about the same amount of miles on them. They are Ford motors, so what else can I say?

Both of our Mazda's began having oil leak issues when they had less than 50K on them and they would be fixed for a while and then start leaking again. Wiring issues have been an ongoing issue in our MPV and they started when the vehicle had about the same amount of miles on them. They are Ford motors, so what else can I say?

Like I said, no vehicles is perfect, there will always be problems down the road. Oil leak happens to many vehicles no matter what makes. Some makes it good, some don't. My Ford had slow oil leak at rear main seal area and oil pan. Between oil changes, lose about a quart... I keep monitoring the oil level. My Ford was pretty dependable to me.

What year your Madza, I'm curious?

What year your Madza, I'm curious?
First MPV was a 91, second one was a 2003. '91 also had a rear end differential clunk that Mazda could never fix, but it never caused any problem other than being there when you first put it in gear and each time it shifted. The 2003, also had a hard shift, also a clunk that was in the transmission from day one and the people at Mazda told us that they were working on a module that was going to fix the problem; they must of been unsuccessful because we never heard back from them. If you go on the Mazda owner sites you will see the recurring issues some of them have.

Last edited:
A guy at work has been owning different CX9's for years and he swears by them but the ford ranger is also extemely popular atm, do you need the tray in the back otherwise it might be better passing on the ranger and sticking with the CX9

Back