Respect

Rio

Brady lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

Someone along time ago, mentioned you have earn respect in the workforce. I was thinking this over and like to share this thought.

I disagree, respect ought to be automatically applied to anyone. Have respect to co- workers, staff and administration and etc. It's something, we need to appy to all mankind not just be selective on certain someone.

That's my opinion , do open up for discussion and your input

Thank you

Last edited:
Human Behavior is such a complex thing especially when it comes to social group.

Workforce... you must be referring to "camaraderie". respect is usually given to a newcomer only after he/she proves his/her worth hence.... "respect is earned, not given" quote.

It sucks, I know but it's just how it is since the humanity was born. However - I'm not quite sure exactly what's the issue you're dealing with. Is somebody being disrespectful to you (harassment, hazing, etc.) or just giving you a cold shoulder? Or is it that you're feeling unwelcome and disrespected?

Wirelessly posted

I give respect to people unless they give me a reason not to

Someone once told me "a little respect goes a long way." I'm always respectful to everyone when I'm at work. However, not everyone responds in kind, but showing your displeasure about it can get you in trouble, so you need to bite your tongue. As I see, I work where I need to in order to reach a certain financial advantage career wise, and then I move on - particularly if the company I keep has nothing to offer me.

Laura

Human Behavior is such a complex thing especially when it comes to social group.

Workforce... you must be referring to "camaraderie". respect is usually given to a newcomer only after he/she proves his/her worth hence.... "respect is earned, not given" quote.

It sucks, I know but it's just how it is since the humanity was born. However - I'm not quite sure exactly what's the issue you're dealing with. Is somebody being disrespectful to you (harassment, hazing, etc.) or just giving you a cold shoulder? Or is it that you're feeling unwelcome and disrespected?

It was just something that got me pondering about. Yes, in the workforce, I understand your term "camaraderie". It does suck, when that happens. No body is being disrespectful to me, just something that came to mind , apply to any new comer in their professional field as rookie.

Does that apply to also , with family members or just on workforce environment?

It was just something that got me pondering about. Yes, in the workforce, I understand your term "camaraderie". It does suck, when that happens. No body is being disrespectful to me, just something that came to mind , apply to any new comer in their professional field as rookie.

I think just about everywhere.

It applies to everyone.

Different groups have different levels of respect at the beginning.

For instance, I start working at my new job. If I had to respect someone, it would probably be the one with the most experience and/or someone higher up (my boss or supervisor). It's probably typical to have some kind of respect for any of your co-workers since they were all there before you and worked longer than you. From there, my respect will either go higher or lower depending on that person. If that person shows laziness, then my respect will go lower. If that person shows a lot of leadership or teamwork skills, then my respect will go higher.

What about family? The same thing applies. Not every family is perfect. Since they're all family, then it's reasonable enough to say that you can respect everyone. Some relatives will be closer to you than others. Those will probably what you have higher respect for. Some may be troublemakers or just rude, and those will have less respect from you.

My experience? It's like I said above. When I started working at my new job working at a video rental store, I showed respect towards everyone because I was new. As time went by, I lost respect in my boss (store manager) because he was always leaving early, calling in to ask people to clock out for him, coming in late, always hitting on women, etc. I gained a lot of respect for my other bosses because they worked hard at their jobs and also made an effort to work with me. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have gotten promoted. The same for co-workers. They were fun, not lazy, were hard-working, etc. I had a lot of respect for them.

What about my family? I have respect for everyone in my family because they all are fun to be with. I play games with them. They communicate with me well. There are a couple people that I have less respect for... because they only act nice when they expect something in return... then turn mean again. :roll:

Wirelessly posted

VamPyroX said:

It applies to everyone.

Different groups have different levels of respect at the beginning.

For instance, I start working at my new job. If I had to respect someone, it would probably be the one with the most experience and/or someone higher up (my boss or supervisor). It's probably typical to have some kind of respect for any of your co-workers since they were all there before you and worked longer than you. From there, my respect will either go higher or lower depending on that person. If that person shows laziness, then my respect will go lower. If that person shows a lot of leadership or teamwork skills, then my respect will go higher.

What about family? The same thing applies. Not every family is perfect. Since they're all family, then it's reasonable enough to say that you can respect everyone. Some relatives will be closer to you than others. Those will probably what you have higher respect for. Some may be troublemakers or just rude, and those will have less respect from you.

My experience? It's like I said above. When I started working at my new job working at a video rental store, I showed respect towards everyone because I was new. As time went by, I lost respect in my boss (store manager) because he was always leaving early, calling in to ask people to clock out for him, coming in late, always hitting on women, etc. I gained a lot of respect for my other bosses because they worked hard at their jobs and also made an effort to work with me. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have gotten promoted. The same for co-workers. They were fun, not lazy, were hard-working, etc. I had a lot of respect for them.

What about my family? I have respect for everyone in my family because they all are fun to be with. I play games with them. They communicate with me well. There are a couple people that I have less respect for... because they only act nice when they expect something in return... then turn mean again. :roll:

Did that boss get fired? He sure took advantage of his position thinking he can get away from cheating his work hours asking others to clock out for him.

Family level of respect , good points how you can have less respect for troublemakers. In my case, I have a controlling sister, she answers for my niece when I ask my niece a q then if I say, I asked my niece , my dad dashes to her side and makes me look like the bad person. It's wrong in general for letting someone do the talking for you.

Wirelessly posted

Did that boss get fired? He sure took advantage of his position thinking he can get away from cheating his work hours asking others to clock out for him.

Family level of respect , good points how you can have less respect for troublemakers. In my case, I have a controlling sister, she answers for my niece when I ask my niece a q then if I say, I asked my niece , my dad dashes to her side and makes me look like the bad person. It's wrong in general for letting someone do the talking for you.
I think so. It was so long ago and we had so many store managers come and go.

That's wrong for your sister and your dad to do that. Have they accepted your deafness? Have you talked to them about it?

Wirelessly posted

VamPyroX said:
Wirelessly posted

I think so. It was so long ago and we had so many store managers come and go.

That's wrong for your sister and your dad to do that. Have they accepted your deafness? Have you talked to them about it?

I am hearing, but my sister in law does that to me and mom. When we ask a question to my nieces or my brother , she automatically does the talking for them. When I say, " I was talking to my neice my dad dashes to her rescue to protect her and defend her. It's wrong people can talk for themselves. It's rude, everyone else knows, except my dad.

Respect has to be earned. Every day, football players fight to hold spot on their roster.

If a team cannot run the ball, don't worry. Let's focus on stopping them in the air. If they can run the ball, then plan on ways to stop them on the ground.

Wirelessly posted

I am hearing, but my sister in law does that to me and mom. When we ask a question to my nieces or my brother , she automatically does the talking for them. When I say, " I was talking to my neice my dad dashes to her rescue to protect her and defend her. It's wrong people can talk for themselves. It's rude, everyone else knows, except my dad.
Are your nieces or brother deaf?

Growing up with my Grandfather (along with 6 other siblings) until I was around 11 years old....we used to make fun of some of the things he did or said....and of course got by with it a lot....One day, something happened and we were laughing about it and my Grandfather got really angry (lost his temper, which he rarely ever did)...and said..."You may not love me, but you will respect me!"....

Those words still linger in my mind and he's been deceased since the late 60's. And I've used the same words several times in my own lifetime....

Growing up with my Grandfather (along with 6 other siblings) until I was around 11 years old....we used to make fun of some of the things he did or said....and of course got by with it a lot....One day, something happened and we were laughing about it and my Grandfather got really angry (lost his temper, which he rarely ever did)...and said..."You may not love me, but you will respect me!"....

Those words still linger in my mind and he's been deceased since the late 60's. And I've used the same words several times in my own lifetime....
Yeah. Mock jokes can be okay for some people, but they do get old sometimes.

It's like a person holding an empty bucket. Add drops of water and that person can still hold it. But when that bucket gets full, that person drops it... all the water comes pouring out.

Mock/Tease a person (laugh at a person), it gets to be too much... that person snaps.

Back