Residents on sc/nc line prepare for life in new state after border shift

rockin'robin

Reaction score
YORK COUNTY, SC (WBTV) -

For some families living near the North and South Carolina border, there are only a few days remaining before they find themselves in a different state.

After a battle that lasted several years, state lines were redrawn and approved by both state governors in 2016. The changes to the state line will take effect January 1.

Officials have said about 19 homes will be impacted by the shift. Several families living on the York County and Gaston County line will feel the ripple effects.

“We moved here thinking that we would live here until we die in South Carolina,” said Dee Martin, who currently lives in South Carolina.

Martin and her husband are especially concerned about how the changes will impact healthcare.

Wednesday, Dee Martin had to discharge her husband from home health care visits because the family’s health care provider isn’t licensed in North Carolina, Martin said.

“As of December 31, he will not have a primary health care provider, nobody even to refill his prescriptions, for him this can be life-threatening,” Martin said.

The couple has been married for almost 70 years. Dee Martin said her other half is on oxygen and has a hard time leaving the house.

She doesn’t know how she’s going to find the time to change residency to another state.

“It’s very difficult at times to even leave him, so just taking the time to go to the DMV to do all the things that are necessary to change over from one state to another would be time-consuming,” Martin said.

Martin knows which state she’ll be living in January 1, but others aren’t as fortunate.

“It’s going right down the middle of our house. One side is North Carolina one side is South Carolina,” said Angie Inglewood.

Inglewood said the new line splits her master bedroom. Her kids will soon be sleeping in North Carolina, while other parts of the home are in South Carolina.

Another neighbor showed WBTV two new tax bills for 2017. Marvin Rutan will now pay a bill to the Palmetto State for taxes on his home, and the Tarheel State for taxes on his backyard.

He’s also concerned because homestead exemptions vary between states.

“The people that’s retired are the ones that suffer the most in anything like this,” Rutan said.

Rutan said he isn’t angry, but wishes some decision makers would have listened to feedback from neighbors. He’s worried how the changes will impact other folks on his street like the Martin family.

“I just can’t understand how somebody sitting up in the office can make rules and regulations affecting other people that’s really going to hurt them, why do that?” Rutan asked.

Many have been sympathetic to Dee Martin’s situation, she said. She is waiting to hear if her husband’s case will be an exception.

Martin never expected to be caught in the middle of the border battle. Now a side has been chosen for her, she just doesn’t like the side she’s on.

“It would be easier if I could pack up and move to down the street so I’d still be in South Carolina,” Martin said.

The new changes will begin January 1st.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/34...pare-for-life-in-new-state-after-border-shift

I wonder why they felt the need to redraw state borders.... what an odd thing.

I wonder why they felt the need to redraw state borders.... what an odd thing.
". . . If leaders from both states sign off on the plan, it will end a border surveying process that began in 1995 when the Carolinas created a Joint Boundary Commission to research and tweak the 334-mile border between them.

The original border was established in the 1700s, but it’s become nebulous over time because it’s based in part on landmarks that no longer exist.

“Rocks were used, trees were used, fence posts were used,” Tucker said. “They’ve been degraded over the years.”

Researchers combed through old records and century-old boundary surveys to determine where the border belongs. That process wrapped up several years ago, but leaders have since been struggling with how to move properties from state to state without causing major headaches...."

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article79699747.html#storylink=cpy

Y'all can blame on legislature for doing stupid job.

I rather to leave as unchanged or give grandfathered to old residents.

Y'all can blame on legislature for doing stupid job.

I rather to leave as unchanged or give grandfathered to old residents.

well I wouldn't put the entire blame on them considering how land was mapped out some 200 years ago. A lot of information gets lost between now and then... meanwhile progress marches on and people build where ever without ever really paying attention to land borders.

I do believe they do need to figure out a way to deal with those 19 homes especially where there are some with one foot in SC and one foot in NC. That puts a burden on them because both states will then tax them... makes me wonder why the surveyors didn't take into account where streets and homes were located.

I hope that they either grandfather them in or at least give them the opportunity to choose which locale to live in... some may just outright sell their house and move anyway but for that one elderly couple I don't think that's going to be very feasible...

Thats a weird one. They should consider those 19 homes. Now, it is January...I wonder what happened.

Even if those landmarks no longer exist, what's still the purpose of redrawing the state line? What will that accomplish ? Seems like .... nothing.

Even if those landmarks no longer exist, what's still the purpose of redrawing the state line? What will that accomplish ? Seems like .... nothing.

I thought the same thing unless it got to the point where there were parts that were...'vague' but even so...the boundaries have been there so long, why change them now. Of course.. NC is famous for wanting to redraw lines everywhere (voting districts and gerrymandering comes to mind....). And to think my family WANTED to move here almost 20 years ago....maybe time to move back to PA (but...the snow is the dealbreaker up there lol).

I thought the same thing unless it got to the point where there were parts that were...'vague' but even so...the boundaries have been there so long, why change them now. Of course.. NC is famous for wanting to redraw lines everywhere (voting districts and gerrymandering comes to mind....). And to think my family WANTED to move here almost 20 years ago....maybe time to move back to PA (but...the snow is the dealbreaker up there lol).

Does NC still require you to pay "Road Tax"?..and the Roads are not all that! Lost my plate for 30 days (when I relocated from Fla. to NC years ago). Florida does not require "Road Tax". Never heard of Road Tax until I moved to NC.

Does NC still require you to pay "Road Tax"?..and the Roads are not all that! Lost my plate for 30 days (when I relocated from Fla. to NC years ago). Florida does not require "Road Tax". Never heard of Road Tax until I moved to NC.

hmm not really sure- I'll have to go look at my info from last year when I had to pay my registration/tag fees.

Will update.

-----Edit-----
I don't know if they still call it a "road tax" as I don't see it on my receipt. They do have the HUT- Highway Use Tax for new cars/transfer of titles... then there's the property tax.... ugh.. that cost more for me than my registration for my vehicle.

Last edited:
hmm not really sure- I'll have to go look at my info from last year when I had to pay my registration/tag fees.

Will update.

-----Edit-----
I don't know if they still call it a "road tax" as I don't see it on my receipt. They do have the HUT- Highway Use Tax for new cars/transfer of titles... then there's the property tax.... ugh.. that cost more for me than my registration for my vehicle.

That's probably what it is then...since I was driving "on their" roads (NC)...moving from Florida. And top it off, my property tax was outrageous too....

That's probably what it is then...since I was driving "on their" roads (NC)...moving from Florida. And top it off, my property tax was outrageous too....

I'll have to see what my parents pay. I think it's based on the age of the car (mine is now 15 years old). The registration fee is the same for everybody.

Back