Required by Law...

AquaBlue

Reaction score
Hospitals are required by law to have Interpreters on the grounds at all time.

What other public facilities are required by law to have Deaf Interpreters at all times?

:?: :?: :?:

Dr appointments. I always have an interpreter for my kids' checkup appts, audiology appts..I dont know if that's required by law but they always have provided an interpreter for me at those appts.

Originally posted by AquaBlue

What other public facilities are required by law to have Deaf Interpreters at all times?

Law is nice, but does that always happen? Hell no. I was signing for 2 weeks and tried to interpret at a hospital for a friend of a friend. I couldn't do it. I had to get a HoH friend in to do it for me.

yes, it's law to reguire interperters at hosptial. before you go to dr appt, ask for an interpeters. if they said no, then ask them if they hear of ada law? if you go to emergacy then they will do their best to get an interpeter

Originally posted by AquaBlue

Courts, Police Department (if they bust a deaf person).. and Schools...
Our Hospital/ER had problems with finding an interpreter or didnt call one.. after few many trips my kids or myself been to.. recently, my baby was very ill and need to stay hospital overnight.. with unknown why ill for.. while he was in ER/Hosp.. I fought (agured) one of the adminstration to get me one.. and told them they are breaking law.. so they got me one and from now on.. they had an interpreter on call if needed in ER/Hosp.. :D
Not always hospitals/ER have one or none.. the system are slow to input the words to let them know its law to have one.. same thing with vietmanese/spanish/etc.. they have interpreter on grounds all the times..

here in Canada no support by the Law, here is stink Law for support deaf to get interpeter for anything they need!!

These faculties need to learn that the interpreters have to be experienced, and probably certified to be a professional interpreter. The reason I bring this up is because they had someone to interpret for me in this local hospital for my son's emergency situation and that interpreter was so LOUSY! I couldn't even understand her, and she didn't understand me at all! She was signing "home signs" and that's not good enough. :madfawk:

Originally posted by ChelEler
These faculties need to learn that the interpreters have to be experienced, and probably certified to be a professional interpreter. The reason I bring this up is because they had someone to interpret for me in this local hospital for my son's emergency situation and that interpreter was so LOUSY! I couldn't even understand her, and she didn't understand me at all! She was signing "home signs" and that's not good enough. :madfawk:

Oh, that sucks! :mad2: When I was in the hospital for an emergency c-section for my oldest son, I had an interpreter that came in and was supposed to interpret me for the whole time, but before I went in for surgery, the interpreter said she had to go and left.. so my aunt offered to go in with me and help me out.. she wrote what the DR said or is doing.. since she didn't know any signs and couldnt talk to me orally because of the mask covering her mouth. Of course, I was pissed and the director of the interpreter services apologized for the inconvience but it still wasn't acceptable. :squint:

Originally posted by Teekie
Oh, that sucks! :mad2: When I was in the hospital for an emergency c-section for my oldest son, I had an interpreter that came in and was supposed to interpret me for the whole time, but before I went in for surgery, the interpreter said she had to go and left.. so my aunt offered to go in with me and help me out.. she wrote what the DR said or is doing.. since she didn't know any signs and couldnt talk to me orally because of the mask covering her mouth. Of course, I was pissed and the director of the interpreter services apologized for the inconvience but it still wasn't acceptable. :squint:

Sue them. Sue them so they won't do it again to either you or soemone else in the future. Who knows, it might have happened several times before your time.

I would have felt guilty with this on my conscience hoping that a younger person didn't come in and needed an interpreter and because of this interpreter services' neglict...that person might suffer worse than your situtation.

sometimes they say they don't know about ADA laws so i have to tell them still don;t understand that sucks

Some of hospitals do not always provide interpreters. Look at what happened to my friend. His mother went to ER for heart problem. She is pure deaf and required an interpreter for communication, but hospital did not provide her at all. Her two Deaf sons went to hospital and find out what's going on with their mother and demanded for interpreter. Sadly, their Deaf mom was died due to wrong medication. They sued hospital for lack of interpreting services (wrongful lawsuit). It was horrible. It can happen to anyone.

Originally posted by RosesNY
sometimes they say they don't know about ADA laws so i have to tell them still don;t understand that sucks

If they say that they don't know about it...tell them to contact the administration office. If they still claim that they don't know about it....tell them that they will be under fire for neglict to laws.

They always have people in the administration offices being familiar with all different kinds of laws. I know about this since my mother was one of the advisors in the administration offices. She has explained to me about some of the hospitals' protocols.

Back