Relay phone number for leaving captioned messages

Reaction score
Anyone know of all online services that caption all of your messages if someone calls without them knowing it? I am not really sure of them all.

Is innocaption one of them? I don't have a smartphone yet so...

What relay service do you use? Do you use SprintIP? There was one relay service that closed down a few years ago due to something about not FCC monitoring your messages and they didn't believe in it, so they stopped.

Innocaption I think does leave a message in captions but I can't say for sure if the caller would be aware or not. I'm guessing they would; I know that some callers to my VRS numbers are aware (and they are confused when they answer with ZVRS or Sorenson- I could be wrong there).

Since my cell phone has voice and voicemail... there is an option for voice to text-- visual mail. Costs something like 5 bucks a month- it's okay for the most part. I may get rid of it..I'm trying to phase out giving that number as people default to calling by voice and not text.

Anyone know of all online services that caption all of your messages if someone calls without them knowing it? I am not really sure of them all.

Is innocaption one of them? I don't have a smartphone yet so...

What relay service do you use? Do you use SprintIP? There was one relay service that closed down a few years ago due to something about not FCC monitoring your messages and they didn't believe in it, so they stopped.

I do have InnoCaption on my cell phone but have not checked what happens on the other end. They do talk about "Make and Receive calls with the same ease as any hearing person." I will get a friend to call, me not answer, and them leave a voice mail about what has happened on their end of the line. But, it will be later in the day at least before I can do so and report back. If a voice mail is left by someone that called you using your InnoCaption number to retrieve it you just click on the button for doing so and it comes in captioned.

I have a TTY as well as an ordinary phone and answering machine on my landline. When I get voice messages left on the answering machine I can just call 711 and as the CA to help retrieve them. That consists of placing the handset of the phone by the speaker of the answering machine, turn it to play, the CA listens to them all and the sends what was heard to my TTY.

The problem with the home phone is that it needs a code to hear voice messages, but it will not work while using Captel at the same time. So it doesn't work. I don't trust Captel to save voice messages because if the power goes out or you unplug, all phone record is reset and erased. I did not know about the visual mail on cell phones. I don't think it should be charged 5 dollars a month. Maybe it won't in the future...

Looks like InnoCaption is one of the other option to try.

I have tried using my cell phone to be captioned with Captel. It works. I just don't feel comfortable having people leave messages on my cell phone for some reason.

The problem with the home phone is that it needs a code to hear voice messages, but it will not work while using Captel at the same time. So it doesn't work. I don't trust Captel to save voice messages because if the power goes out or you unplug, all phone record is reset and erased. I did not know about the visual mail on cell phones. I don't think it should be charged 5 dollars a month. Maybe it won't in the future...

Looks like InnoCaption is one of the other option to try.

I have tried using my cell phone to be captioned with Captel. It works. I just don't feel comfortable having people leave messages on my cell phone for some reason.

What I am talking about on my landline is an answering machine not voice mail. Mine happens to be built in to my regular phone. When I want to know what was left I call the 711 Relay Number and tell the CA that I have answering machine messages. I then put my phone handset by the answering machine speaker and press play. The CA listens to them and they types them to my TTY.

What is left using InnoCaption is on your cell phone.

So your land land phone has the little cassette tape still or no? Is it digital answering machine with no cassette tape? I used to have that one with the cassette tape but didn't rely on answering machines at the time. I can see how that one would work.

So your land land phone has the little cassette tape still or no? Is it digital answering machine with no cassette tape? I used to have that one with the cassette tape but didn't rely on answering machines at the time. I can see how that one would work.

It is digital — no tape involved. The setup does also use a TTY for reading what the CA types to you.

I would think there would be a way to access voice mail and have the CA listen to it. I don't know the method but throughout time Deaf and HOH people have gotten creative in the means of communication and how to get the info one needs.

I may have to look at it again. I contacted Captel and I believe the phone just doesn't work. May need to get a phone that works with answering machine.

Don't you get annoyed when you email someone and then they tell you to call the when they could just answer your email?

For some reason I dislike relay more now than before. I am trying not to take for granted our helpful technology of TTY.

I don't know if this helps but on the new iPhone which my mother just got, you can ready voicemail as if they are text messages. I have a galaxy and I have been looking for days but there is no free app that will let a galaxy do it.
The only landline phone I know will also do it is the cc phone.

I don't know if this helps but on the new iPhone which my mother just got, you can ready voicemail as if they are text messages. I have a galaxy and I have been looking for days but there is no free app that will let a galaxy do it.
The only landline phone I know will also do it is the cc phone.

Is there an iphone that you do not need a contract or pay something like 45 dollars monthly to use?

What is a cc phone?

cc phone I think refers to the CapTel Phone...
Yep
Also I don't know about iPhone plans and what not. My mom's is on a 2 year plan and paid some ridiculous amount of money for the next greatest thing blah blah... sorry I can't be more help.

If you have the iPhone with the correct version of ios, you should be able activate it on one of the MVNOs for less than $45 per month. There is no contract involved.

MVNO= Mobile Virtual Network Operators

An MVNO is a company that sells mobile phone service by making use of another company's existing network infrastructure. An MVNO will have its own rates and calling plan features, its own billing system, and its own customer service department.

Tracphone is an example of one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

Back